What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhauser

-> Brightness control is a button which you can change from tapping it with the choice of 25%, 50%, 75% 100%. No 0% option, and no fine tuning, and have to tap it several times.

There's too much here to respond to this late at night, but to get fine control over brightness, just touch and hold the battery icon, there's a link to screen brightness, and you get a slider.
Your other complaints seem very subjective, though no less valid, I don't know...but I use my SP3 for real work and play every day and it's working great.

lhauser

I've been using my Lenovo laptop a lot today (having to do a bunch of CD burning). I can hardly wait to get Win10 installed on this thing. 8.1 just seems...incomplete.

Kris

Win10 does not look polished to me at all. Windows 8.1 looks very polished to me by contrast. You put up some very good reasons for staying with windows 8.1.
Doesn't look polished? How much have you used it? Windows 8 is one of the most unpopular versions out there, the only device I ever found it to work half way decently on was the SP3 but it continuously tries to force you to use MUI apps. Windows 10 allows you to switch between tablet and full desktop smoothly. Windows 10 is not perfect but it is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows 8, and it isn't even released yet...

GoodBytes

There's too much here to respond to this late at night, but to get fine control over brightness, just touch and hold the battery icon, there's a link to screen brightness, and you get a slider.
Your other complaints seem very subjective, though no less valid, I don't know...but I use my SP3 for real work and play every day and it's working great.
Yea I am aware that you can do that. But that is soo annoying. The charm bar idea is what Windows 8 was differentiated itself from Android and iOS, where you can slide a panel for quick access to brightness control, wireless, and other options. While Windows 10 keeps that idea, instead of having a slider pop-ing up for the brightness, you have this button. And if you want finner control, you need to go in settings. This is very annoying.
Might as well be like in Windows XP, where you need to go dig through Control Panel to find the mobility center, and control the brightness.

My complaints aren't subjective. They are facts. I never said that I am not going to upgrade to Windows 10, I'll upgrade day 1 to it, I can assure you that, on both my systems. The upsides are far more than the listed downsides. And I know that most of my downsides listed can be fixed with updates form the app store and Windows itself. They are not critical issues. But they are issues that i think we should not ignore.

There is no denying that Windows 10 is being rushed out. Many features of Windows are by Microsoft: "Coming after Windows 10 is out". So it will either be a App Store update or maybe under Windows 10.1, which will probably be released next year. This is unlike Microsoft to do this. And I think it shows that Windows 10 is being rushed out. Another fact of this, is that many manufactures made computers won't have Windows 10 on them when you buy them in the store on July 29 and a few days after, as manufacture barely got enough time to prepare systems with Windows 10, and replace them on store shelf. My guess is that they are focusing on the popular models, and the rest will be upgraded within 1-2 weeks after Windows 10 is released.

Derekamoss

To me, Windows 8 is in the same category as Windows ME and Windows Vista in poor versions.

That's just ludacris. Windows 8 was in no way poor. windows 8 is THE best tablet OS in my opinion. I wanted to go fully tablet and its UI alone was enough to get me to switch from 15 years of Apple products. iOS sucks for tablets, windows 10 sucks for tablets but windows 8.1. was perfect.

ScottyS

To me, Windows 8 is in the same category as Windows ME and Windows Vista in poor versions.
Well at least it's not Microsoft Bob!
upload_2015-7-26_10-31-31.png

ScottyS

Speaking of Win10 on the SP3, I gave up on Win10TP when it was the last one to show the build # in the watermark because my OneDrive wouldn't work (my fault likely) and Office would work (Office 16 preview wouldn't uninstall and I couldn't re-install Office 2013 unless 16 preview was gone) and then I stopped getting the boot menu and didn't want to try to fix that for fear I'd wind up being unable to boot to Win8.

So I envy you guys who have been playing with the RTM version.
I plan to let my Win8.1 upgrade to Win10, but realize I might not be in the first wave of auto updates because it is 8.1 and not a Insider's TP.

What I want to know is, is that's once my Win8.1 is upgraded to Win10 will logging in with my MS account make me recognized as in Insider, and then get the faster updates?

BeyondGrave

-> No more per application volume control. Well the old panel is there you need to dig for it. And Windows Apps (universal apps) are not included, like Windows 8 with it's ModernUI apps.

Right-click volume icon in the taskbar and select "Volume Mixer" for per app volume control. (Isn't that the same as how Windows 8 did it?)

-> when you open the Settings panel, the keyboard auto-pop's up, because the search box is selected, making you close the keyboard every time.

I've never had this issue.

-> Touch screen keyboard no longer lift windows above, so now the keyboard is always in the way from showing

There's a button the on right top of the keyboard, if you click it, the keyboard background stretches to the width of the screen and the windows get resized smaller so they sit above the keyboard. The default mode is to overlap.

-> If you use the full touch keyboard (that is the one with all arrow keys, F1, F2, F3,etc.. keys, and so on), sometimes the Shift key doesn't work, and remains not working until you restart the system.

Also haven't had this issue.

-> On the start menu, you can't right-click on a folder item to delete it or open the folder that contains the Start menu items.

Right-click the item and choose "Open file location." This works for both the tiles and the "All apps" list provided the app isn't a metro app. I'm guessing you want to be able to remove certain application icons so that they're hidden but not uninstalled? As far as I know, this couldn't be done in Windows 8 either.

-> No more easy access to the power plan option to select Power Saver mode

Click Notifications icon in the taskbar, then the "Expand". As long as you're not currently charging, you'll see a "Battery Saver" button.

It seems like the rest of the criticisms are just personal preferences.

The only criticism I have is that the latest build made my battery life terrible again. 10158 (or maybe it was the build before it) got my battery back up to 8-9 hours. 10240 and now I'm down to 6 again. Hope it gets fixed in the final version because that's a huge drop in battery life.

Doomofman

Was it on here I saw someone saying the Ethernet driver for the dock would fail on Win 10 when using a lot of network traffic (transferring files etc)? Just had it happen to me, trying to transfer a 2gb file to a network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.