What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else constantly getting an "only secure content is being displayed" popup in Edge when on this forum? Seems to have started very recently.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah, good old windows key shortcut. Only just found out I can use windows key+printscreen instead of opening up paint :oops:I wonder how many average users even know windows key shortcuts exist (my parents use windows/office all day every day and have done for decades, vicar and lawyer, both very bright) yet neither even know ctrl+a ctrl+c etc...)

GoodBytes

Anyone else constantly getting an "only secure content is being displayed" popup in Edge when on this forum? Seems to have started very recently.
No issue on my side. Check your Internet Option panel settings and Edge web browser settings (not sure if they are linked)

Kris

@sharpcolorado what version of lightroom do you use, mine keeps crashing...
I might have figured it out. I deleted the lightroom folder in pictures, had it remake the catalog and now it seems to be working.
So if any adobe program stops working after update, deleting its catalog folder might work. I found these do not go away if you uninstall the app.

Derekamoss

That is exactly what Microsoft did with Windows 10. :)

That is not at all what they did. People going into windows 10 will be shocked by the difference of metro. This new tablet mode is as big of a change to windows 8 metro after getting used to it as was windows 7 to windows 8. Windows 8 for touchscreens just worked. all the had to do was add the desktop mode that's windows 10 and it would have been perfect. A lot of the screenshots on here are misleading when it comes to the full start menu. Yeah it looks like it would work the same as the old one but you are going to be in for a surprise the first time you try to swipe left or right on the full start screen to browse tiles or swipe up or down for the applications list. Or the people who got used to the charm bar and want to share a page through email. How do I get to that, oh that's right the invisible bar at the top I have to swipe down on and then realize the hamburger menu has to be clicked and finally get to share. Big surprise to if you swipe in from left and expect to see swipe through apps. That wont happen. Imagine how frustrated new people to windows 10 first can't find modern ie, then realize its edge now open it and can't figure why the browser bar is at the top now and then try to swipe through pages like Microsoft has gotten them used to. So no that's not exactly what Microsoft did.

My surface pro 3 is running windows 10 and I have ADJUSTED to the new way, but it now way has Microsoft kept the same experience or made it better for touch users.

Reactions: GmC

GoodBytes

Here is what I hate with Windows 10:
-> Unable to hide drivers update. I don't mind Windows update (until they force include Bing tool bar and all that crap, cross my fingers they don't). The problem with drivers being forced installed is that it doesn't allow custom install, it includes and will install all sorts of crap. For example, in the case of Nvidia, it install all that 3D Vision crap which causes problem with some games. And to top things over, it install GeForce experience which I don't want or care about, it does nothing for me, and Nvidia Updater. Which checks for updates, despite Windows doing that already. Sure you can remove it, but you'll have to do this every month or sometimes twice a month... And it is not just with Nvidia, Intel for example with its SATA controller, USB/internal wireless card added to a system (not laptops), which manufactures LOVES to make their own wireless connection manager, but it is made either by interns that were not paid or outsourced to China or India, with the piss poor looks and super buggy. You need to remove it to use the perfectly working, simple Windows one, but nope.. next update, expect to have it all replaced with the drivers one again.

-> No more per application volume control. Well the old panel is there you need to dig for it. And Windows Apps (universal apps) are not included, like Windows 8 with it's ModernUI apps.

-> Brightness control is a button which you can change from tapping it with the choice of 25%, 50%, 75% 100%. No 0% option, and no fine tuning, and have to tap it several times.

-> when you open the Settings panel, the keyboard auto-pop's up, because the search box is selected, making you close the keyboard every time.

-> Touch screen keyboard no longer lift windows above, so now the keyboard is always in the way from showing

-> If you use the full touch keyboard (that is the one with all arrow keys, F1, F2, F3,etc.. keys, and so on), sometimes the Shift key doesn't work, and remains not working until you restart the system.

-> Sometimes, even on the task bar search box, the touch screen keyboard doesn't pop-up

-> Optional Feature section in the Settings is a huge mess.

-> Settings panel, especially People apps looks like it was slap together the night before Windows 10 is released.

-> Some apps has night/white theme, others don't, some used to have it but no options to switch to. It's like they had this idea of 2 teams, was working on it, then forgot about it mid way.

-> Cannot hibernate the system from the Start Menu.

-> Accent color can only be selected from a pre-defined list of colors. No custom colors.

-> Windows Desktop Apps can't define a color for the program title bar, but Windows Apps (universal apps) can.

-> On the start menu, you can't right-click on a folder item to delete it or open the folder that contains the Start menu items.

-> OneDrive panel is from Windows 7. Never been updated

-> No more easy access to the power plan option to select Power Saver mode

-> Acton center has a light gray border line on the left, but it doesn't reach to the absolute top.

-> When you first login and you right-click with you finger on your touch screen on an desktop icon or desktop itsekf, the menu is not touch friendly like it will be on the following time you do it.

-> Icons sets are a mess. I don't mean that I don't like the icons.. no I am fine with it. What I mean is that we have Windows Vista/7/8 icons, mixed with Windows 10, mixed with Windows 98 and Windows 3.1 icons. Why can't Microsoft just update all their icons! Come on! Fine I get it with Vista, new icon set they did an incredible job, they are just so many icons I get it why they didn't finish updating the rest. And now with WIndows01 they barely did a few, so when you open device manager it is this miss match of icons. Come on!

-> Microsoft can't grasp how make a black theme. Contrast is too high. Don't use black with perfect white text. You want a soft white/light gray and gray text. Cortana white boxes inside, make it look like they didn't finish.

-> Music app / XBox App / Grove App GUI looks needs a lot more work. It looks like this 5min job Spotify rip off, especially that the Weather, News, Sports App, Finance apps for example, look very nice. I also really like the Mail and Calendar app.

And I think you start seeing a patern for most of my complaints... it's not done at the end-user level experience. Windows 10 has a lot of hype, which is excellent. Windows 8 had none. So it will be adapt well, but if it was following Windows 7 impressive release, it would be a huge let down. They need another 6 months working ONLY and exclusively on the GUI, and another 3 to 6 months to fix the bugs exclusively, if I may be perfectly honest.

While I am sounding I am bashing Windows 10, I am being critical because I want Microsoft to succeed. Overall I like Windows 10 very much. I like tablet mode, I think it makes sense, and works well. Scrolling up/down instead of side-to-side makes more sense when you are holding a tablet, as you can have both hands on the device and scroll with your thumb. Windows 10 has a lot of things I like , the list is very long.

If you are still with me, a cool bonus, is you have Windows 7 or 8 with Media Center, you'll get a DVD playback app for free in Windows 10. I have a lot of ISOs from backups DVDs. So this is nice. I don't want to get PowerDVD and similar software because their player is this overbloated software and include an uncountable of crap which no one will use, and installs a bunch of software at startup that you NEED in order for the player to run, else it won't, and the software cost a fortune at the price of Windows. To me it makes no sense, an Operating System is this infinitely more complex software which requires countless highly expert people to work on as well as a talented developer staff. And they just make a player with a bunch of crap you have no choice to install and run, reducing battery life of your system, poorly optimized left and right, looks ugly, and charges the price of Windows. No ability to just get the codec and use Windows Media Player. Nope. So I am excited about that. I wouldn't mind paying 10$ more for a Blu-Ray player codec either.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@sharpcolorado what version of lightroom do you use, mine keeps crashing...

@Kris

Here's the version I use: 2015 Camera Raw 9.0

If you are having problems crashing, it may be due to a problem creating initial catalog stores. I believe you can overcome this by dragging a few photos or a folder of photos to the Lightroom work area, rather than importing. Once you do this, the problem should be solved for future imports or work.

Screenshot (125).png

Screenshot (126).png

spinedoc77

Pretty much how windows 10 ehaves in tablet mode. start screen is always there, open an app and you use the app, close it and it takes you back to the start screen (which can be really annoying).

While you have your opinion, the general opinion appears to be that tablet mode in win 10 to be far superior to in 8.1. I used 10 since the release of the beat, and upon getting the s3 a month or two back with 8.1 on it, 8.1 was just a dinosaur in comparison for tablet use. Following their work on win 10, those MS software engineers and such must be sat there thinking how in gods name did we create and release that crap?

Opposite for me, tablet mode is terrible in win10 and I wonder how the heck MS software engineers could be so far off the mark. But then again they released Desktop window 8 so it's not hard to see. Flipping through open apps including the desktop. Charms bar with quick settings, app settings, and most of all one touch sliders for sound and brightness. Pulling down to create multiple windows for apps. Full screen apps (bleh don't even get me started on this). Full screen internet browser. There was nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 desktop except the lack of a start button/menu. Easily fixed with a 10 second download at classic shell, but in this era of ipad dumbification I understand that consumers can't figure that out. Microsoft just swung the pendulum way way too far towards the desktop side, and now instead of desktop users lamenting windows 8 we are going to get tablet users lamenting windows 10. Rather ironic, maybe windows 11 will swing back towards tablets, oh wait win 10 is the last windows. Maybe with 10.1 then.

Don't get me started on they gutted and ruined OneDrive either, just piss poor decisions based on a lack of consumer education by Microsoft. Placeholders confuse consumers, BS I really find it hard to believe consumers are truly that god awful stupid. Placeholders take up too much space, this may make some sense when talking about massive collections and small hard drives. But still, I hate being forced onto the onedrive website, having to use the clunky interface and wait for how slow it is to load. Maybe they will fix the idiotic 20000 file limit in onedrive for business as well while they are at it and the 5000 limit view, forcing you to break your onedrive into "sites", redundant and unneeded.

Yeah you won't pry Windows 8.1 out of my hands, even if Win 10 is free.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

Here is what I hate with Windows 10:
-> Unable to hide drivers update. I don't mind Windows update (until they force include Bing tool bar and all that crap, cross my fingers they don't). The problem with drivers being forced installed is that it doesn't allow custom install, it includes and will install all sorts of crap. For example, in the case of Nvidia, it install all that 3D Vision crap which causes problem with some games. And to top things over, it install GeForce experience which I don't want or care about, it does nothing for me, and Nvidia Updater. Which checks for updates, despite Windows doing that already. Sure you can remove it, but you'll have to do this every month or sometimes twice a month... And it is not just with Nvidia, Intel for example with its SATA controller, USB/internal wireless card added to a system (not laptops), which manufactures LOVES to make their own wireless connection manager, but it is made either by interns that were not paid or outsourced to China or India, with the piss poor looks and super buggy. You need to remove it to use the perfectly working, simple Windows one, but nope.. next update, expect to have it all replaced with the drivers one again.

-> No more per application volume control. Well the old panel is there you need to dig for it. And Windows Apps (universal apps) are not included, like Windows 8 with it's ModernUI apps.

-> Brightness control is a button which you can change from tapping it with the choice of 25%, 50%, 75% 100%. No 0% option, and no fine tuning, and have to tap it several times.

-> when you open the Settings panel, the keyboard auto-pop's up, because the search box is selected, making you close the keyboard every time.

-> Touch screen keyboard no longer lift windows above, so now the keyboard is always in the way from showing

-> If you use the full touch keyboard (that is the one with all arrow keys, F1, F2, F3,etc.. keys, and so on), sometimes the Shift key doesn't work, and remains not working until you restart the system.

-> Sometimes, even on the task bar search box, the touch screen keyboard doesn't pop-up

-> Optional Feature section in the Settings is a huge mess.

-> Settings panel, especially People apps looks like it was slap together the night before Windows 10 is released.

-> Some apps has night/white theme, others don't, some used to have it but no options to switch to. It's like they had this idea of 2 teams, was working on it, then forgot about it mid way.

-> Cannot hibernate the system from the Start Menu.

-> Accent color can only be selected from a pre-defined list of colors. No custom colors.

-> Windows Desktop Apps can't define a color for the program title bar, but Windows Apps (universal apps) can.

-> On the start menu, you can't right-click on a folder item to delete it or open the folder that contains the Start menu items.

-> OneDrive panel is from Windows 7. Never been updated

-> No more easy access to the power plan option to select Power Saver mode

-> Acton center has a light gray border line on the left, but it doesn't reach to the absolute top.

-> When you first login and you right-click with you finger on your touch screen on an desktop icon or desktop itsekf, the menu is not touch friendly like it will be on the following time you do it.

-> Icons sets are a mess. I don't mean that I don't like the icons.. no I am fine with it. What I mean is that we have Windows Vista/7/8 icons, mixed with Windows 10, mixed with Windows 98 and Windows 3.1 icons. Why can't Microsoft just update all their icons! Come on! Fine I get it with Vista, new icon set they did an incredible job, they are just so many icons I get it why they didn't finish updating the rest. And now with WIndows01 they barely did a few, so when you open device manager it is this miss match of icons. Come on!

-> Microsoft can't grasp how make a black theme. Contrast is too high. Don't use black with perfect white text. You want a soft white/light gray and gray text. Cortana white boxes inside, make it look like they didn't finish.

-> Music app / XBox App / Grove App GUI looks needs a lot more work. It looks like this 5min job Spotify rip off, especially that the Weather, News, Sports App, Finance apps for example, look very nice. I also really like the Mail and Calendar app.

And I think you start seeing a patern for most of my complaints... it's not done at the end-user level experience. Windows 10 has a lot of hype, which is excellent. Windows 8 had none. So it will be adapt well, but if it was following Windows 7 impressive release, it would be a huge let down. They need another 6 months working ONLY and exclusively on the GUI, and another 3 to 6 months to fix the bugs exclusively, if I may be perfectly honest.

While I am sounding I am bashing Windows 10, I am being critical because I want Microsoft to succeed. Overall I like Windows 10 very much. I like tablet mode, I think it makes sense, and works well. Scrolling up/down instead of side-to-side makes more sense when you are holding a tablet, as you can have both hands on the device and scroll with your thumb. Windows 10 has a lot of things I like , the list is very long.

If you are still with me, a cool bonus, is you have Windows 7 or 8 with Media Center, you'll get a DVD playback app for free in Windows 10. I have a lot of ISOs from backups DVDs. So this is nice. I don't want to get PowerDVD and similar software because their player is this overbloated software and include an uncountable of crap which no one will use, and installs a bunch of software at startup that you NEED in order for the player to run, else it won't, and the software cost a fortune at the price of Windows. To me it makes no sense, an Operating System is this infinitely more complex software which requires countless highly expert people to work on as well as a talented developer staff. And they just make a player with a bunch of crap you have no choice to install and run, reducing battery life of your system, poorly optimized left and right, looks ugly, and charges the price of Windows. No ability to just get the codec and use Windows Media Player. Nope. So I am excited about that. I wouldn't mind paying 10$ more for a Blu-Ray player codec either.

Win10 does not look polished to me at all. Windows 8.1 looks very polished to me by contrast. You put up some very good reasons for staying with windows 8.1.

cliffr39

-> Brightness control is a button which you can change from tapping it with the choice of 25%, 50%, 75% 100%. No 0% option, and no fine tuning, and have to tap it several times....

I created a script to do 0% right on the desktop -- double click and done for those rare times I need it that low (in bed for example).

GoodBytes

I created a script to do 0% right on the desktop -- double click and done for those rare times I need it that low (in bed for example).
I have made a program a while back to control the screen brightness, like actually control the back light of the screen. Also works on most decent desktop monitors. (To be more specific, I have implement the ACPI and DDC/CI protocol, and use that community with the monitor to adjust the brightness).

I need to update it with a look that fits better Windows 10, and better with touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.