What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

malberttoo

Found a way to force it to give me the register pop up. Went to http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-upgrade-notification-enable/ and half way down there was a link for a script that gives you different options to try and make the pop up appear. Says run at your own risk but worked for me, option number 2 did the trick.

Pretty sure the "registration" part is a great marketing hype thing. They've already promised free upgrades to Win 7 and Win 8 users, you don't need to actually "register" to get it.

Kris

Pretty sure the "registration" part is a great marketing hype thing. They've already promised free upgrades to Win 7 and Win 8 users, you don't need to actually "register" to get it.

Might be hype might not, read somewhere that if you were an insider and wanted the update you needed to register for it then upgrade to an insider version. Just covering my bases and what ifs... Though probably totally unnecessary

bender

Excuse me, how does it work with the W10 release if I use the insider preview? Will I get the full version or only further insider previews?

Kris

Excuse me, how does it work with the W10 release if I use the insider preview? Will I get the full version or only further insider previews?
From my understanding, and I could totally be wrong there is a lot of misinformation out there on this. You have to have a copy of Windows 7 or 8 to get the full free update or have one of those, register it then you can upgrade to the insider program and you can get the full update that way. There is also the option of staying an insider and continue to get preview builds. They have said that insiders do no just get a free copy...

GTiceman

When the full code is released you will have the option to leave the program. At that point you need a valid 7 or 8 license. You can also opt to stay in the program, not sure if you need a valid license though.

riley2323

Using 10166, SP3 and Office 2016 365 Pro Plus....can anyone confirm if you get the crash with Skype for Business....open an IM window and minimize the IM and the Skype for Business main window....it automatically crashes the program. Wondering if someone else can confirm...Windows 10? Office 2016? Or is it Exchange policy trying to switch the program back to Lync 2013? Googled it...nothing very relevant.

cmergel

Using 10166, SP3 and Office 2016 365 Pro Plus....can anyone confirm if you get the crash with Skype for Business....open an IM window and minimize the IM and the Skype for Business main window....it automatically crashes the program. Wondering if someone else can confirm...Windows 10? Office 2016? Or is it Exchange policy trying to switch the program back to Lync 2013? Googled it...nothing very relevant.

FWIW. I am running the same and I can confirm that I do not have that issue with Office 365 (2016) and Skype for Business crashing. I am running version 16.0.4229.1002. I did have issues with Skype for Business several builds back, but no problems for weeks.

leeshor

So Surface 3 Pros has a valid license or misunderstanding?
If it's 8.1 and running the licenese is valid. If you used the Insider site to upgrade to 10 it's still valid. If you did a bare metal install of 10 it is not valid and will expire. If you go back to the original installation of 8.1 and allow it to upgrade later it will still be valid.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
suddenly getting odd calendar notifications in Chinese when there are no events today or any tine in the future

And might be we but handwriting recognition seems really good all of a sudden

GTiceman

I can't speak on Office 365, but I was using Office 2016 and Skype of Business and it is the Server policy that causes it to revert back to Lync from Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.