What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Sorry off topic but what freaking hassle to go back to Windows 7, on my desktop, to register for the free upgrade. Been installing updates for 5 hours and still haven't gotten the one for registering for the free upgrade. After all this fun I get to look forward to upgrading to Windows 10 10162 and then try and update to 10166

leeshor

Some systems I support have yet to get the notification icon, including one of my desktops. There is supposedly some sort of pre-check done to see if there would be a problem. I'm running 7 Pro 64-bit on this system and it passes the Windows 8 compatibility check as do the other systems where I haven't seen the notification. No explanation.

Kris

Some systems I support have yet to get the notification icon, including one of my desktops. There is supposedly some sort of pre-check done to see if there would be a problem. I'm running 7 Pro 64-bit on this system and it passes the Windows 8 compatibility check as do the other systems where I haven't seen the notification. No explanation.

Finally got the update required to give you the pop up and still nothing. I know my system can support it, has been for some time now and it's a nice/newish home built HTPC. Can't figure it out.

rquellet

It does for me - 10166 installed. Using a mini display port to HDMI adapter plugged into the mini display port on the dock. It has worked on all builds of Windows 10 for me.

My dock's mini-displayport is now working. The last change I made was installing the intel_10.18.15.4235 beta graphics drivers.

leeshor

Finally got the update required to give you the pop up and still nothing. I know my system can support it, has been for some time now and it's a nice/newish home built HTPC. Can't figure it out.
Absolutely the only reason I can see why I don't have it on this one system is because the compatibility app said I would need to reinstall VMware but that doesn't explain some of the others. There is also a possibility of a processor not being supported but haven't seen one yet that didn't pass the test.

Kris

Absolutely the only reason I can see why I don't have it on this one system is because the compatibility app said I would need to reinstall VMware but that doesn't explain some of the others. There is also a possibility of a processor not being supported but haven't seen one yet that didn't pass the test.
There needs to be an easier way to do this, I have a activated windows 7 system why can't I register it some other way? At this rate I will have to stay an insider or get a hacked version.

lhauser

Has anyone found a better alternative to the photos app? Sad that you can no longer even view your pictures based on folders and you now have to only rely on automatic albums created for you. Silly really

I've long used Thumbsplus (from Cerious.com). They just released version 10, which is a bit more touch friendly than previous versions, with larger icons and such. It doesn't do much as far as albums, and depends on your local default photo app for editing, but it's a champ at managing large quantities of photos.

Irfanview is good as well, and certainly cheaper than Thumbsplus.

I want to love Lightroom, but the copy I have is a couple of versions old and it doesn't work really well on the small, high-res Surface Pro screen.

leeshor

There needs to be an easier way to do this, I have a activated windows 7 system why can't I register it some other way? At this rate I will have to stay an insider or get a hacked version.
There is no reason I can think of not to stay with the upgraded Insider. It will upgrade to final and be among the first systems to have it.

Kris

There is no reason I can think of not to stay with the upgraded Insider. It will upgrade to final and be among the first systems to have it.
Found a way to force it to give me the register pop up. Went to http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-upgrade-notification-enable/ and half way down there was a link for a script that gives you different options to try and make the pop up appear. Says run at your own risk but worked for me, option number 2 did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.