What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither the sleep function nor the hibernate function are working on my SP3. It is making sounds when new email arrives and when Facebook updates. I've posted on Feedback, but without response. I even went in and reset the power options to default and then set them up again, without success.

Derekamoss

I've had windows 10 on my main machine (SP3) since the preview launched. Sure there have been niggles but never anything to stop my machine doing just as I need it. In fact the only machine i don't have 10 on is my HTPC and that's purely because it lives in a location sans internet and I never remember to get a usb stick ready with an ISO when i'm in London and have access to it.

For the record, I've done a whole combination of clean installs or updates and neither method has ever proven more or less stable a method, it seems that issues are just a crap-shoot regardless of how you installed.
This build is stable enough that I finally installed it as main driver. I'm currently in vet tech school and this build is the first one I've felt comfortable with using and not worrying about bugs that stop me from my notes and stuff. I would say the recent build is solid. Might be a few app crashes or little tiny bugs that they still fixed but nothing keeping it as a main OS.

HarnessTech

This build is stable enough that I finally installed it as main driver. I'm currently in vet tech school and this build is the first one I've felt comfortable with using and not worrying about bugs that stop me from my notes and stuff. I would say the recent build is solid. Might be a few app crashes or little tiny bugs that they still fixed but nothing keeping it as a main OS.
I'll second that, except for the vet tech part. ;-)

wynand32

Of course, just after I wrote all that about stability, my desktop went batcrap crazy and I lost an application form I was filling out in Edge. Windows Explorer crashed and took all of my Win32 apps with it (including Word) and so I lost some other work as well. I should have kept my mouth shut.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course, just after I wrote all that about stability, my desktop went batcrap crazy and I lost an application form I was filling out in Edge. Windows Explorer crashed and took all of my Win32 apps with it (including Word) and so I lost some other work as well. I should have kept my mouth shut.

As bizarre timing as it is, shortly after liking this my S3 had a display driver crash (specifically stated it was running windows 8 driver) and after that my surface was tap-and-draw. Little touch circles would just populate the screen.

GTiceman

I can't quite figure out what it's doing. I think if I leave mine alone, it will sleep when set to do so and sometimes it will lock. But if I put it to sleep manually (power button or closing the keyboard cover) it won't be locked when I wake it up, even hours later.

That remains the flakiest thing on my SP3 so far.
Same
And the popping speaker

wynand32

As bizarre timing as it is, shortly after liking this my S3 had a display driver crash (specifically stated it was running windows 8 driver) and after that my surface was tap-and-draw. Little touch circles would just populate the screen.

It's a freaking machine conspiracy.

Tallrandal

I finally updated my SP3 to build 10162. For some reason it will not receive 10166. I have tried running "SP3 users who are getting rolled back on upgrade to 10122, try from CMD: rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN" in the cmd, but all that fixed was the firmware update not installing. I have also let it sit for a few hours and even restarted several times. Any suggestions?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I finally updated my SP3 to build 10162. For some reason it will not receive 10166. I have tried running "SP3 users who are getting rolled back on upgrade to 10122, try from CMD: rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN" in the cmd, but all that fixed was the firmware update not installing. I have also let it sit for a few hours and even restarted several times. Any suggestions?

If you installed 10162 via ISO then i'm willing to bet that if you go into the advanced update options you'll find it sat on slow ring (or possibly that your MS account needs to be verified)

Mhaddy

As stable as these builds are, I really hope those of you using the SP3 as your daily driver (as I am) are using cloud technologies to keep your data safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.