What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

Hmmm, doubt the fan issue is hardware related as the fan doesn't run under 8.1. It gets going pretty good under W10 even when there are no apparent processes churning the CPU. Who knows? This was a completely clean W10 install.

Maybe W10 taxes some defective hardware that W8.1 doesn't? Right now I have just one browser window open and I'm typing this message and the fan just kicked in. Dunno. Could be a Chrome things and not a W10 thing at all. Chrome can be evil that way. :)

lhauser

Well, it would appear that windows 10 utterly sucks on low res. One of my tv's is only 720p, i really don't see any reason to upgrade it, but at that resolution, it's just nasty. As an example, the wifi icon on the task bar is just a squiggly mess. You'll need to zoom in on the attachment, but it's just odd, it's not that it's simply pixelated because of the lower res, but it's strange with fat bits, and non-existent bits. I might not be modern day super high res or even full HD, but i'm well above the 800x600 min resolution of 10. Perhaps this is specific to the surface or that right now they just plain couldn't give a damn about low res screens and will sort that all out closer to release.View attachment 6071

Mine certainly doesn't run constantly, but I find the Photo background task and Anti-Malware background task running now and then (not together), each occupying 20% or more of CPU and causing the fan to run. I kill the processes and all is well again. Over the past couple of weeks I've caught Chrome taxing the system just once; two of the running instances were together occupying nearly 600MB of memory and a lot of CPU time. I know that Chrome can be a power hog, but that's the only time I've seen any part of it simply running away.

Kris

Hmmm, doubt the fan issue is hardware related as the fan doesn't run under 8.1. It gets going pretty good under W10 even when there are no apparent processes churning the CPU. Who knows? This was a completely clean W10 install.

Maybe W10 taxes some defective hardware that W8.1 doesn't? Right now I have just one browser window open and I'm typing this message and the fan just kicked in. Dunno. Could be a Chrome things and not a W10 thing at all. Chrome can be evil that way. :)

My fan almost never kicks on, constantly have chrome oprn and streaming video. Even with Chrome, Firefox, Windows explorer, and streaming video my fan hardly ever comes on. I would believe that Windows 10 is pointing out a defective part on your SP3.

W1mperat0r

Mine certainly doesn't run constantly, but I find the Photo background task and Anti-Malware background task running now and then (not together), each occupying 20% or more of CPU and causing the fan to run. I kill the processes and all is well again. Over the past couple of weeks I've caught Chrome taxing the system just once; two of the running instances were together occupying nearly 600MB of memory and a lot of CPU time. I know that Chrome can be a power hog, but that's the only time I've seen any part of it simply running away.

I have experienced very often that my CPU runs on up to 90 % for several minutes due to malware executables and the Photo background task which was mentioned before in this forum. In addition my RAM usage sometimes goes crazy due to Chrome running in the background with some Tabs open but I think everyone has experienced that before.
Also I have an issue with OneNote 2016 Preview sometimes running crazy. When I am intensively working on some notes (mostly highly zoomed in) sometimes it takes up to 3 GB of my memory and let CPU run with 30-50%. Only shutting down Onenote would help.

To the ones that have the issue with the screen not turning on aftre staying for too long on Standby, I found out that (for me) only the Explorer Task mistakens to wake up but with a mouse I can see the pointer and with Ctrl+Alt+Del I get my screen back on. Without a keboard docked I am able to press the Windows button and the Power button at the same time which has the same function as Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I would be happy if this can help anybody out there who thinks the W10 Insider Preview (not "Technical" anymore ;) ) is not stable enough to be used as a daily driver.
I do use it as my main production machine, as a student writing down all of my lectures or PDFs on my SP3 instead of having tons of paper in my bag :)

Cortana gives me a headache when promptly shutting down after I click on the circle - it shows up for a second and I see that she is still asking for my name after I did a Refresh on 10074.
There is also a touch issue that sometimes occurs while I am taking notes in OneNote. This one is pretty annoying because Onenote still interprets my touch correctly: e.g.: single finger tap=left mouse click and long hold=right mouse click. But when touching the taskbar it just happens that a single touch is interpreted as a rightclick no matter how long or short I hold it. Then, while this isssue occurs, in Chrome scrolling with the finger is interpreted as Zoom which makes me think that due to heavy communication problems of OneNote with Windows or maybe some other issues, a single tap is hold on the screen for some time so that I am not able to scroll properly in Chrome. And after that Chrome is unusable and I have to re-open it. :(
On the Desktop I figuered out that this touch issue is being resolved by pressing multiple fingers on the screen at the same time.
I hope they are fixing this in the upcoming build, which I am now waiting for over a week.

Haldi

I'm also having Problems with Hibernation!
But I always blamed either me booting W10 from a .vhdx file or using Hyper-V
This really sucks as Connected Standby drains 1-3% per Hour. If you leave your Tablet over the Weekend and did not turn it off its always empty -.-
Hibernation does not start after 4h Connected Standby :(

Just now noticed what happens when I click on the the battery icon of the Taskbar Notification Area.
I like it.

View attachment 6066

Just make sure that you have battery icon always shown.
If you expand task icons and press the battery icon then they will overlap ~.~

Only annoying thing with it at present is that it changes by the second almost. As in you wil be at 80% and it'll say 9 hours left, just open up chrome etc and within a minute it'll change to 3 hours left etc.
Same Problem with Battery Bar addon.

Sorry to repost. Is anybody having issues with daisychaining multiple monitors through the SP3 dock?
Yes, if you have a Dell Monitor this might be a problem.
There is a special thread for this problem.

Oh... BTW Fan noise.
Install Intel XTU and you get a pretty awesome graph for 30 minutes or more that show CPU Temperature. If the temperature is under 45C and your Fan is running something is strange.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also having Problems with Hibernation!
But I always blamed either me booting W10 from a .vhdx file or using Hyper-V
This really sucks as Connected Standby drains 1-3% per Hour. If you leave your Tablet over the Weekend and did not turn it off its always empty -.-
Hibernation does not start after 4h Connected Standby :(

Windows 10 doesn't fully support the Hybrid Power Management of the SP3 currently from my understanding...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder if there is a new build on the horizon. I'm probably wrong but i swear i've tended to see big office updates shortly before a system update.

I suspect they are gearing up for one. They've been building a new fbl_impressive build every day for the past week or so, so it seems that they are putting the finishing touches on the next build. They're up to 10121.

nnthemperor

Anyone having problems with apps refusing to launch in 10074? Made the leap last week and installed Win 10 TP on my i3 SP3. Initially everything ran well, then all of a sudden apps like the word/excel preview won't launch anymore. TapaTalk would open to the home, but crash when I click on a forum. Device runs warm (sometimes hot) and battery seems to go down faster than with 8.1. Really regretting why I believed things would be ok. My surface pro was almost perfect before this. About to go back to 8.1 if I can't resolve all the issues with this build.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@nnthemperor

Sorry about the troubles.

"Preview" apps may quit working at any time, since they were designed for a particular transient time. Watch for that.

But it seems you may need a Refresh. Remember, you are a test pilot. Or wait for the soon coming next Build.

mitchellvii

@nnthemperor

Sorry about the troubles.

"Preview" apps may quit working at any time, since they were designed for a particular transient time. Watch for that.

But it seems you may need a Refresh. Remember, you are a test pilot. Or wait for the soon coming next Build.

Wait a minute. Aren't test pilots supposed to get a sexy girlfriend and cool flight suit?

Leggy blonde and size 48L please. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.