What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's at least three individuals I'm aware of up here using it as their daily driver, myself included, no dual boot. Two individuals dual-booting if my readings of this thread and my memory serve correctly, one of them on a workstation with multiple drives who flips their UEFI at boot (it's a few pages back).
Make that 4

r0b123

Win10 is my main daily system with no dual boot. I've been lucky so far (/me knocks on wood) and it's been getting better with each iteration in most areas. I should say I only have the i5/128Gb system and don't really have enough to dual boot which is why I took the leap of faith to make this a single boot daily driver.

I've had submitted numerous feedback on apps or areas that don't work or seem to be buggy with each build. Apps like Xbox, Weather, and even the preview Apps like Music and Video are slowly improving. As for Edge aka Spartan, it's the one area I'm hesitant to use often due to the lagginess. I do like where they're going with it and the new features make it a good point, but only time will tell.

GTiceman

There's at least three individuals I'm aware of up here using it as their daily driver, myself included, no dual boot. Two individuals dual-booting if my readings of this thread and my memory serve correctly, one of them on a workstation with multiple drives who flips their UEFI at boot (it's a few pages back).

5 ... It is my daily. I have some images throughout the process but I did a clean install for 10074 and for one or two other builds, but still have a W8.1 image as well if need be.

Arizona Willie

Well, I removed Chrome from all my machines but I have no problem with Spartan. I don't have a UHD monitor though just a poor mans HD :)
Sometimes Spartan seems to open pages real fast and other times it is slow.
I think it is the Internet ... not Spartan.
But Spartan has so many missing features compared to Firefox that I seldom use it.
But they have a good start on making a usable browser but it has a ways to go.

One thing I don't get about Project Spartan. Compare Spartan side by side with Chrome and the Spartan font-smoothing is weak at best. Here I am on my super high res screen and fonts are pixelated. How MS? How is this possible you put out your new flagship browser and don't even bother implementing decent font-smoothing?

To see what I mean, open a web page containing Times New Roman font on a Spartan and Chrome window side by side. The difference is obvious. MS did this with Office 365 when it first released. Crap font-smoothing. What the hell does MS have against font-smoothing? The weird part is that for W10 in general, font-smoothing is excellent. It's as if they have disabled it in Spartan on purpose???

I simply do not comprehend MS's approach to presenting their products to the marketplace. Between the boring non-Metro app Start Menu tiles and the Spartan font-smoothing, I honestly wonder what the artistic types at MS do all day. I have a clue for them - try making stuff look pretty, I know it's a crazy idea but it just might work.

Kris

Well, I removed Chrome from all my machines but I have no problem with Spartan. I don't have a UHD monitor though just a poor mans HD :)
Sometimes Spartan seems to open pages real fast and other times it is slow.
I think it is the Internet ... not Spartan.
But Spartan has so many missing features compared to Firefox that I seldom use it.
But they have a good start on making a usable browser but it has a ways to go.

I am just the opposite, wish I could remove Spartan from my system. To me it seems like a bad beginning with signs of a downward spiral. I like Chrome because of it's great syncing features with all of my devices and extensions, only gripe is it tracks everything you do. Firefox is falling behind on a lot or it would be my go to browser, now that it has a decent sync feature.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am just the opposite, wish I could remove Spartan from my system. To me it seems like a bad beginning with signs of a downward spiral. I like Chrome because of it's great syncing features with all of my devices and extensions, only gripe is it tracks everything you do. Firefox is falling behind on a lot or it would be my go to browser, now that it has a decent sync feature.

You could argue that about windows 10 to be honest, yet it continues to get better. I don't understand why everyone is so prophetic about how it's all bad and MS couldn't possibly improve it by launch etc.

razy60

My main concern at the moment is over heating whilst charging. I closed the type cover plugged in the charger and left it to charge when I picked it up and the surface was hot, there where no programs open when I closed the cover, When I open the cover the screen is black but the type cover lights up I cant get the surface to start so have to press the power and volume buttons. I have noticed before that if the surface is left for a while even without the power plugged in on occasion I have to go through the two finger shuffle, there seems to be no pattern to it.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My main concern at the moment is over heating whilst charging...

I don't think that problem is due to overheating. Instead, it is a well-known and recognized power management bug regarding the Surface Pro 3, Windows 10, and Continuum. I think Microsoft will get this sorted. Consider all the improvements between the last two builds.

I have this trouble too, along with millions of others.

Arktik

The only issue I am running into so far is changing the start menu layout. Sometimes it will lock up and crash. This will leave no start menu, no desktop icons, and a ghost of the icon I was attempting to move. Eventually the desktop will work again but that ghost icon will not go away until I reboot. On top of that just other small glitches when trying to resize and move tiles.

Anyone else getting that?

Kris

You could argue that about windows 10 to be honest, yet it continues to get better. I don't understand why everyone is so prophetic about how it's all bad and MS couldn't possibly improve it by launch etc.
I use Windows 10 on a daily basis, I choose not to go back to a more stable Windows 8 because I like Windows 10 a hundred times better. I am not complaining about Windows 10, I don't like certain parts of it and these are parts that in my opinion they have not improved in the few years. Internet Explorer has always been at the bottom of my list and Spartan is just looking like a torn down version of it. People moved to different internet browsers for more options and MS has refused to follow where the public wants to go in those areas. Windows 8 tiling system was the ugliest mistake they ever made and they are still pushing it, while Android is embracing the diversity of use whatever icon pack you want. I have overwhelming confidence that they will refine Windows 10 into a great OS but we are at the testing stage and supposed to be looking for ways for them to improve it, not just sit back and lie to ourselves and say every thing perfect. We are Beta testers and we are suppose to nit pick at the product until it's completed.

ScottyS

The only issue I am running into so far is changing the start menu layout. Sometimes it will lock up and crash. This will leave no start menu, no desktop icons, and a ghost of the icon I was attempting to move. Eventually the desktop will work again but that ghost icon will not go away until I reboot. On top of that just other small glitches when trying to resize and move tiles.

Anyone else getting that?
I had that ghost icon once. When the start menu crashes it is explorer that's crashed. It generally should re-start itself, but if it doesn't you can get it (and desktop icons and taskbar) back by doing Ctrl+Alt+Del and running task manager. From there File/Run new task and type in explorer.exe

I've also had the start menu shimmer and flicker when I've tried to move around tiles too.

I've had Spartan, I mean Edge, just disappear while I'm browsing too.

Last edited:

razy60

I don't think that problem is due to overheating. Instead, it is a well-known and recognized power management bug regarding the Surface Pro 3, Windows 10, and Continuum. I think Microsoft will get this sorted. Consider all the improvements between the last two builds.

I have this trouble too, along with millions of others.
Hot is hot. Thing is after a restart it goes my hand cools down and all is well in my world, it's it's irregularities that annoy as I have to constantly double check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.