What's new

Why Do Most Windows-Based PCs/Laptops/Ultrabooks Suck? Why Surface Exists:

lparsons21

And you do? The Air hits a lot of homeruns for people. It is incredibly portable and has fantastic battery life. Those attributes at a reasonable price turn out to be a pretty compelling package, regardless of the resolution.
For road warriors where battery life and weight and at the top of the must have list, there is little competition for the MacBook Air.

zhenya

For road warriors where battery life and weight and at the top of the must have list, there is little competition for the MacBook Air.

100% agreed. And the battery life advertised by Apple is also quite obtainable. In theory the Sp3 should be close the the MBA 11", but with Windows, you never know what you are going to get from battery life - or if it will drain most of your battery when asleep.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an MBA but I don't think its better than my other laptops. If you love the features it does well at them you'll love it but there are tradeoffs in it like any other and once they start to grate on you the love is gone. The MBA is mostly collecting dust lately.

Liam2349

And you do? The Air hits a lot of homeruns for people. It is incredibly portable and has fantastic battery life. Those attributes at a reasonable price turn out to be a pretty compelling package, regardless of the resolution.

Yes, I know exactly what I want and need from a portable device - but still remain hopeful that new features will come into play and grab my attention.

bluegrass

Battery life can be overcome by the SP3 but the Mac can't overcome the fact it can't run apps like the SP3 can. If all I needed from my computer was email & Internet browsing, I would probably use a Mac.

lparsons21

Battery life can be overcome by the SP3 but the Mac can't overcome the fact it can't run apps like the SP3 can. If all I needed from my computer was email & Internet browsing, I would probably use a Mac.
Since I do a lot more on my Macs than email and internet browsing, I will disagree with your assessment.

Word processing, spreadsheets, music engraving, video and audio projects and a slew of others. For some even using MS applications to do it. And if there is something I just have to have Windows for, I can throw it up on my Mac.

But I tinker with this stuff, so in addition to great Apple gear, I've got great Windows gear. Currently an HP AIO desktop and a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (i7/8Gb/256Gb). In addition an iPad Air 2, MacBook Pro Retina and an iPhone 6+.

Love 'em all for differing reasons and uses.

bluegrass

I should have clarified that I was speaking about an iPad and not Mac computer. iPad were the rave here where I work and all the road warriors insisted on having one, but soon found out they had to carry their Windows laptops with them to do the work they needed to do. Now a lot of them are turning to Surfaces, which can replace both their iPad and their laptop.

lparsons21

I should have clarified that I was speaking about an iPad and not Mac computer. iPad were the rave here where I work and all the road warriors insisted on having one, but soon found out they had to carry their Windows laptops with them to do the work they needed to do. Now a lot of them are turning to Surfaces, which can replace both their iPad and their laptop.

That makes more sense. The iPad is primarily a consumption device and does what it does very well. It isn't and wasn't designed to take the place of a more conventional computer though many have tried!! :)

the track pad on a MacBook pro is awesome for sure, I only use them when my mouse isn't around. As far as track pads on pc's one of the best is on the surface pro 3 and any Lenovo laptop. I would say that some of Lenovo's past business laptops may even surpass the mac.

lparsons21

the track pad on a MacBook pro is awesome for sure, I only use them when my mouse isn't around. As far as track pads on pc's one of the best is on the surface pro 3 and any Lenovo laptop. I would say that some of Lenovo's past business laptops may even surpass the mac.

Macs do have the best trackpads, and the external Magic Trackpad is just a bigger and better version. I've got a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and this trackpad is also excellent.

When I had the SP3, I noticed that the trackpad was much better than the SP1's, and only a little less better than the MacBook Pro though it was still too small IMO.