What's new

Who Loves their SP3 - Positivity Thread

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well my surface replaced my DESKTOP as well as my laptop and tablet this morning as I came down stairs to find a dreaded black screen with white writing on my PC. It's got a couple of corrupt driver files which are stopping Windows starting up. ARGH.... Looks like it needs a refresh. But I haven't time to do it now before I go away for the weekend.

It's almost as if the desktop got jealous and started demanding attention...LOL.

So day 3 with the Surface and I'm very happy so far. I had the "double click pen button not working" error but that was fixed on the last update. I'm not going to comment much on battery life until I've used it for a while longer as it's still downloading updates etc and that really sucks battery. I got about 4 hours on the battery monitor yesterday but that was including a lot of dropbox syncing and updating where the fan was running a lot... I also have not yet done anything to look at saving any battery life - currently running with 50% brightness.

I love the responsiveness... early tests with Lightfoot suggest it'll do the job just fine. The Pen and touch input is awesome even in desktop mode I find I rarely think to use the trackpad for anything, I nearly always touch the screen either with pen or finger - it's a TRUELY INTERACTIVE PC..

I'm going to be touching the non-touch screen of all my computers now!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
You just reminded me that I do still have a Nexus 7 tablet. I've had my SP3 for nearly 6 weeks now, so I guess it's a safe bet that the Nexus is no longer needed.

I have a nexus 7 too... superb tablet... but we'll see if it's needed any more!

kristalsoldier

I have a nexus 7 too... superb tablet... but we'll see if it's needed any more!

I had a Nexus 10, which I may have mentioned earlier. The SP3 has made it pretty much irrelevant. Already it was relegated to the role of a pure media consumption device in the sense that I watch movies and TV shows on it in bed!

raqball

I had a Nexus 10, which I may have mentioned earlier. The SP3 has made it pretty much irrelevant. Already it was relegated to the role of a pure media consumption device in the sense that I watch movies and TV shows on it in bed!

I had a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 that has been given away to a family member.

kristalsoldier

Yeps...my N10 has also been given away! While it was a hardy tablet, I found I had a few issues with it. First, it used to take ages to charge because of the usb charging thing, I guess. Secondly, it was difficult to get any work done on it. The only thing that I found comfortable doing on it was consuming media. And, while some of the reading apps like Mantano EZPDF Reader etc. are quite slick, the aspect ratio was not the best (had a similar issue with the Surface RT and Surface 2 RT).

Liam2349

Well my surface replaced my DESKTOP as well as my laptop and tablet this morning as I came down stairs to find a dreaded black screen with white writing on my PC. It's got a couple of corrupt driver files which are stopping Windows starting up. ARGH.... Looks like it needs a refresh. But I haven't time to do it now before I go away for the weekend.

It's almost as if the desktop got jealous and started demanding attention...LOL.

So day 3 with the Surface and I'm very happy so far. I had the "double click pen button not working" error but that was fixed on the last update. I'm not going to comment much on battery life until I've used it for a while longer as it's still downloading updates etc and that really sucks battery. I got about 4 hours on the battery monitor yesterday but that was including a lot of dropbox syncing and updating where the fan was running a lot... I also have not yet done anything to look at saving any battery life - currently running with 50% brightness.

I love the responsiveness... early tests with Lightfoot suggest it'll do the job just fine. The Pen and touch input is awesome even in desktop mode I find I rarely think to use the trackpad for anything, I nearly always touch the screen either with pen or finger - it's a TRUELY INTERACTIVE PC..

I'm going to be touching the non-touch screen of all my computers now!

With SP2, I never used the trackpad as it was appalling. My only serious complaint about the device, as half the time it didn't work! (Type Cover 2).

I was perfectly fine touching the screen, but with SP3 I find myself using the trackpad more. I tend to sit back with it, keyboard, kickstand and use the trackpad.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is good as it has many ways of interacting so there should be a way that suits everyone. For example I'm using it now, as a tablet but writing on the screen using writing recognition as I find it easier than using the screen keyboard when I'm supporting the tablet with one hand. Love this feature.

~X.T.~

In my final year of engineering school now. When I first started, I thought I'd need a powerful laptop, so I got this 15" i7 beast, 90W power brick and all.
Eventually found that it was too much of a nuisance to bring out and it mainly sat in my room doing light work while the school's workstations handle any heavy crunching.

Got the i5 SP3 last Friday and finally I'm able to take my work out of my hostel room without having to lug that beast of a laptop around. Words cannot describe how incredible it felt. Worth every bit of my summer internship pay.

mohcho

Just came out of a meeting with a devout Mac user. She is a consultant in our office and she has her personal Macbook Air and the desktop that we deployed to her. She is so used to her Mac that when she uses the mouse on the Windows desktop, she single clicks files and folders in explorer and wonders why it doesn't respond like her Mac.

Anyways, I did the "Surface pen" thing and took off the type cover, clicked the pen and OneNote opened up and she was like "wow... what are you doing there?" I told her to focus on the meeting and would tell her about it once we were done. I basically did a product pitch to her about it and she was astounded at it and thought that I should order more for the staff there. We compared it to her Macbook Air and she was very surprised at how light it was compared to her MBA. Suffice it to say, she wrote "Surface Pro 3" down in her notebook (on paper) and she said she would look more into it. Nice.