What's new

Trying hard to love the SP3, but...

cardinalryan

I am not here to start a verbal war, just want to share my experience and find out if I am missing something and maybe get some advice on how to get a better user experience from the SP3.

First of all, I absolutely love the hardware and have had ZERO issues with that...it's perfect.

The software is what is killing me. First and foremost, there are so many popups that I simply can't stay focused on what it is that I am doing. The popups in IE 11 are insane and non stop. I have bit defender installed on my SP3 and popup blocker turned on in IE 11 and it isn't doing much good. This is going to be a deal breaker for me so I am hoping someone can provide some direction on how to end the incessant popups in IE 11 and on the device in general.

Also, I loaded several apps, then the next day, all apps that I had downloaded (many of which I had already used) had a little "X" in the bottom corner of the icon and I had to individually go into the windows marketplace to repair each app one by one. Hopefully this was a minor anomaly.

Other than that, the device is super, but if the popup thing can't be alleviated, I can't continue. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Feoen

Isn't this more an issue with Internet Explorer (which would therefore plague ANY Windows 8.1 computer) than it is with the SP3? I haven't had a popup problem using Metro IE, so you might want to run a scan for malware.

I haven't seen the issue with the X on all the apps -- that is odd, but again, it's an issue with Windows 8 and not the SP3 itself, IMO.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't had any issues, I would do a deep scan, it sounds like Malware, I use only IE and haven't seen a pop-up store in years. Modern UI Apps can break if UAC or the Firewall is turned off...

wynand32

Install MalWareBytes (great app) and see if you picked something up. I too dont' have any issues with popups in IE (or Chrome, which I use more often), and that's definitely not a function of the Surface.

scottysize

I don't have any popups, but I stay away from the pron sites ;)

I use Chrome, so I can't really speak of the IE11.

ipaq_101

Use Chrome, do the registry edit for the Hi DPI support, somewhere on the forum. More importantly, go to the chrome store and download adblock, it stops virtually every ad on the internet.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 947

Geneo

I can vouch for Adblock. Love it, works great. It's free, but I donated $10 simply because it's worth it.

OP
C

cardinalryan

I know all about adblock and actually use the IE 11 add-on. I would use Chrome, but it isn't crisp on the screen...the DPI scaling option makes the menu way too small for me to see and use, so that is not an option.

vanhalo

I am not here to start a verbal war, just want to share my experience and find out if I am missing something and maybe get some advice on how to get a better user experience from the SP3.

First of all, I absolutely love the hardware and have had ZERO issues with that...it's perfect.

The software is what is killing me. First and foremost, there are so many popups that I simply can't stay focused on what it is that I am doing. The popups in IE 11 are insane and non stop. I have bit defender installed on my SP3 and popup blocker turned on in IE 11 and it isn't doing much good. This is going to be a deal breaker for me so I am hoping someone can provide some direction on how to end the incessant popups in IE 11 and on the device in general.

Also, I loaded several apps, then the next day, all apps that I had downloaded (many of which I had already used) had a little "X" in the bottom corner of the icon and I had to individually go into the windows marketplace to repair each app one by one. Hopefully this was a minor anomaly.

Other than that, the device is super, but if the popup thing can't be alleviated, I can't continue. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I hear you loud and clear. What I do not like is that more often than not I will get that damn throbber spinning waiting on a page to recover. And web page designers piss me off with their fancy shmancy bells and whistles that take precious time away from my day.

I want to visit a page without moving parts like bugs crawling all over my screen. For the love of Pearl STOP IT!!!!!

OP
C

cardinalryan

I hear you loud and clear. What I do not like is that more often than not I will get that damn throbber spinning waiting on a page to recover. And web page designers piss me off with their fancy shmancy bells and whistles that take precious time away from my day.

I want to visit a page without moving parts like bugs crawling all over my screen. For the love of Pearl STOP IT!!!!!
It's amazing. Horribly amazing.

EMINENT

Popups are non-existent for me on Modern IE. Have you gone to settings and checked to turn on popup blocker?