What's new

What makes Microsoft so slow?

oion

I kinda agree with Mitch, if MS would have priced their RT a little more aggressively and wouldn't have been so greedy with their pricing, then I'm CERTAIN they wouldn't have lost $900M with lost revenues, fact is I (and others) thought the price of MS's devices and KB was ridiculously high and that's why they are sitting with $900M worth of inventory! do you really think it was a coincidence that once they lowered the prices of the RT they started getting popular? REALLY?! same with piracy problems that were plaguing MS is because their prices of their OS was too much!

It's not that the price was too high "all stop"--overly simplistic way to look at it--it's that MS never tried to sell the Surface RT as being significantly more functional than iOS/Android devices (multitasking, system tools, file managing, ports, etc.), and then most reviews never stressed the value added with the Office suite while calling out only the "app" deficiency. MS could have removed Office and lowered the price accordingly. That's about $100-plus off the retail price right there. Would that be a good idea? Fuck no. The fact that new users who got the RT after the price cut are by and large surprised by its utility (judging by new user reviews) says more about information disconnect than it does about a price disconnect... because the early adopters who DID get their hands on the Surfaces and understood what they actually were, were not concerned by the price.

beman39

well says YOU, yes the other factors that you mentioned are valid but isn't the MAIN reasons for the poor sales! who wants to pay $600 for a stripped version of windows 8? even the Pro series are way over priced! it's been noted for FACT that you can buy fully loaded ULTRABOOKS for the same price or even cheaper! which are way more versatile

oion

well says YOU, yes the other factors that you mentioned are valid but isn't the MAIN reasons for the poor sales! who wants to pay $600 for a stripped version of windows 8? even the Pro series are way over priced! it's been noted for FACT that you can buy fully loaded ULTRABOOKS for the same price or even cheaper! which are way more versatile

Who wants to pay $500-plus for a completely stripped version of Mac OS?

In your fervent exclamatory spasticness, consider that none of the other ultrabooks are made of magnesium or as portable. You only buy a Surface if ultraportability and build is very high priority. You have no experience in the subnotebook market, kid; the smaller the device and the more powerful, the more expensive it is. This has been true since the 1990s. Check out the Japanese market.

You know, your so-called argument is this:

"Why would you want to spend $$k on a tiny MINI Cooper when you can get a mid-sized car for the same price and it holds more?"

Because not everyone has the same priorities. Get over it.

Maybe I should add more ALLCAPS exclamation points: !!! !!! !!!!!! ! ! ! !

D

Deleted member 10837

It is clear (to me anyway) that two of the most exciting improvements for the Surface Line are the Power Cover (providing up to 25 hours usage on the Surface Pro 2 according to MS) and the docking station. Awesome, can't wait to buy them when the SP2 releases!

I'm wondering where does Microsoft say that adding a Power Cover to the Surface Pro 2 will provide 25 hours of use time? The Power Cover will have a 30Wh battery which is 71% of the Surface's 42Wh so with an average of 7 hours you can get out of the Surface Pro 2 now, adding 71% would get you 12 hours, not 25.

beman39

Who wants to pay $500-plus for a completely stripped version of Mac OS?

In your fervent exclamatory spasticness, consider that none of the other ultrabooks are made of magnesium or as portable. You only buy a Surface if ultraportability and build is very high priority. You have no experience in the subnotebook market, kid; the smaller the device and the more powerful, the more expensive it is. This has been true since the 1990s. Check out the Japanese market.

You know, your so-called argument is this:

"Why would you want to spend $$k on a tiny MINI Cooper when you can get a mid-sized car for the same price and it holds more?"

Because not everyone has the same priorities. Get over it.

Maybe I should add more ALLCAPS exclamation points: !!! !!! !!!!!! ! ! ! !

gimme a break your counter analogy makes no sense, we're not talking about cars! secondly the surface isn't made entirely out of magnesium it is only PAINTED/COATED out of that and very poorly as a few people are having flaking trouble so please don't use that as your point because that doesn't justify the exuberant price tag! lol as for laptops as for the 1990's example, laptops costs $3000 to buy back then, does that mean we should still be paying $3000 for it? all devices when NEW are expensive to build because of the production ways were different back then but now that they been out a awhile the prices have fallen down to reg levels because things are easier to build nowadays!! as like I stated and gave an example in my previous post! thirdly if you don't like exclamations then maybe you shouldn't be surfing in forums! !!!!!! there! and why are you always so defensive when it comes to defending MS products? are YOU building them? do you own MS? I like MS products as much as the next guy but your overly defensive and that's coming from someone who likes to use exclamation marks!!!!! !!!........!!!!! and lastly I shouldn't have to welcome the overly high prices MS likes to charge for its products because YOU feel its justified in your misguided ideas! there is a few million people who feel the same as I do and Mitch! maybe you got a money tree in the back but MOST of us don't! so when we feel something is over priced then we say something! sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Last edited:

oion

I'm wondering where does Microsoft say that adding a Power Cover to the Surface Pro 2 will provide 25 hours of use time? The Power Cover will have a 30Wh battery which is 71% of the Surface's 42Wh so with an average of 7 hours you can get out of the Surface Pro 2 now, adding 71% would get you 12 hours, not 25.

The 25 hrs is certainly false. No idea where he pulled that. If it was from an official Microsoft page, maybe it was the Canadian one... since they've had two instances of typos now. :p

gimme a break your counter analogy makes no sense, we're not talking about cars! secondly the surface isn't made entirely out of magnesium it is only PAINTED/COATED out of that and very poorly as a few people are having flaking trouble so please don't use that as your point because that doesn't justify the exuberant price tag! lol as for ultra portability being more expensive all devices when NEW are expensive but now that they been out a awhile the prices have fallen down to reg levels! as like I stated and gave an example in my previous post! thirdly if you don't like exclamations then maybe you shouldn't be surfing in forums! !!!!!! there! and why are you always so defensive when it comes to defending MS products? are YOU building them? do you own MS? I like MS products as much as the next guy but your overly defensive and that's coming from someone who likes to use exclamation marks!!!!! !!!........!!!!! and lastly I shouldn't have to welcome the overly high prices MS likes to charge for its products because YOU feel its justified in your misguided ideas! there is a few million people who feel the same as I do and Mitch! maybe you got a money tree in the back but MOST of us don't! so when we feel something is over priced then we say something! sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

You're funny. I guess you wouldn't have done well on the SAT tests when they still had analogies.

The "coating" wording is confusion from multiple sources and probably has to do with the actual deposit method. The chassis is magnesium, and there's supposed to be a fingerprint resistive coating. Surface VaporMg casing: rugged yet beautiful It must be the fingerprint coating at issue. So that's a factual strike against you. Anandtech has a 2012 interview if you want to check it further.

It's hard to take you seriously when you sound like a kid who should be limited to F2P MMO forums, but hey, I'll give it a shot. :rolleyes: I'm not defensive in the sense you'd like to assume, because I honestly don't care of the Surface line fails since I already got mine. That hard to understand? I will defend the ideas that the Surface was/was not innovative or counter all the wrong conceptions people have about them (like the "stripped Windows 8" thing that you failed to address at all, huh) or not understanding how marketing works with retail economics (until you work the corporate offices in the top 25 brand list, I doubt most people ever would).

In fact, judging by all your posts, you're a far more hardcore fanboy than I am.

beman39

The 25 hrs is certainly false. No idea where he pulled that. If it was from an official Microsoft page, maybe it was the Canadian one... since they've had two instances of typos now. :p

You're funny. I guess you wouldn't have done well on the SAT tests when they still had analogies.

The "coating" wording is confusion from multiple sources and probably has to do with the actual deposit method. The chassis is magnesium, and there's supposed to be a fingerprint resistive coating. Surface VaporMg casing: rugged yet beautiful It must be the fingerprint coating at issue. So that's a factual strike against you. Anandtech has a 2012 interview if you want to check it further.

It's hard to take you seriously when you sound like a kid who should be limited to F2P MMO forums, but hey, I'll give it a shot. :rolleyes: I'm not defensive in the sense you'd like to assume, because I honestly don't care of the Surface line fails since I already got mine. That hard to understand? I will defend the ideas that the Surface was/was not innovative or counter all the wrong conceptions people have about them (like the "stripped Windows 8" thing that you failed to address at all, huh) or not understanding how marketing works with retail economics (until you work the corporate offices in the top 25 brand list, I doubt most people ever would).

In fact, judging by all your posts, you're a far more hardcore fanboy than I am.

hahaha your even more funny that you have to resort to innuendo name calling and attack my intelligence, I'm sure you wouldn't score too high on IQ test when you use bad analogies to make a moot point, but hey I'm not gonna judge ya. And as for your attempt to be a smart ass in the "coating" point, whether they use spray methods or DEPOSIT method...IT'S STILL coating they're just trying to use different delivery methods of the same RESULTS...but I guess your not bright enough to realize that! lol

and btw 2 people have shown pics of the magnesium coating and anyone with normal sight can see that is NOT the finger print coating coming off! so nice try...

so understand this, even with all your insults to me and others that I have observed in this post and others, you still come off more as a "fanboy" than I do! lol

last but not least what qualifications do YOU have in regarding to "marketing" and retail economics?

T-Bob

hahaha your even more funny that you have to resort to innuendo name calling and attack my intelligence, I'm sure you wouldn't score too high on IQ test when you use bad analogies to make a moot point, but hey I'm not gonna judge ya. And as for your attempt to be a smart ass in the "coating" point, whether they use spray methods or DEPOSIT method...IT'S STILL coating they're just trying to use different delivery methods of the same RESULTS...but I guess your not bright enough to realize that! lol

and btw 2 people have shown pics of the magnesium coating and anyone with normal sight can see that is NOT the finger print coating coming off! so nice try...

so understand this, even with all your insults to me and others that I have observed in this post and others, you still come off more as a "fanboy" than I do! lol

last but not least what qualifications do YOU have in regarding to "marketing" and retail economics?

Ok fanboys,play nice now...:p

fonzman78

gimme a break your counter analogy makes no sense, we're not talking about cars! secondly the surface isn't made entirely out of magnesium it is only PAINTED/COATED out of that and very poorly as a few people are having flaking trouble so please don't use that as your point because that doesn't justify the exuberant price tag! lol as for laptops as for the 1990's example, laptops costs $3000 to buy back then, does that mean we should still be paying $3000 for it? all devices when NEW are expensive to build because of the production ways were different back then but now that they been out a awhile the prices have fallen down to reg levels because things are easier to build nowadays!! as like I stated and gave an example in my previous post! thirdly if you don't like exclamations then maybe you shouldn't be surfing in forums! !!!!!! there! and why are you always so defensive when it comes to defending MS products? are YOU building them? do you own MS? I like MS products as much as the next guy but your overly defensive and that's coming from someone who likes to use exclamation marks!!!!! !!!........!!!!! and lastly I shouldn't have to welcome the overly high prices MS likes to charge for its products because YOU feel its justified in your misguided ideas! there is a few million people who feel the same as I do and Mitch! maybe you got a money tree in the back but MOST of us don't! so when we feel something is over priced then we say something! sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

The thing, beman, is that you are on an MS SPro2 forum. And, you are going off on the price of the Pro and how crazy the price it is and how people would never pay that price. Well, I suspect that the forum members have all purchased the SPro1/2 knowing full well about the price. And, if you are on this forum, I would think that you also have purchased an SPro1/2, right? Otherwise, why are you on this forum?

If you think that the Pro is too costly, don't get one. If you have one, then don't bitch about the price cuz you BOUGHT one.

If it's the latter, then suck it up.

If it's the former, then 'Move along. These aren't the droids we're looking for'.

beman39

what is with you people? am I not allowed to have my opinion which other people share and obviously others don't, but don't you dare tell me I CAN'T VOICE THEM because you disagree! and another point, even though others have bought them here for what ever reason they want to pay the outlandish prices is their prerogative and I have no qualms with that, but you don't hear me bitching about that. I'm happy for them but there are others who find it too expensive and that's why the sales are so slow, that's it that's all I was saying. but don't you dare start insulting me for my point of views ok? thanks!

oion

what is with you people? am I not allowed to have my opinion which other people share and obviously others don't, but don't you dare tell me I CAN'T VOICE THEM because you disagree! and another point, even though others have bought them here for what ever reason they want to pay the outlandish prices is their prerogative and I have no qualms with that, but you don't hear me bitching about that. I'm happy for them but there are others who find it too expensive and that's why the sales are so slow, that's it that's all I was saying. but don't you dare start insulting me for my point of views ok? thanks!

It's not that your opinions about the pricing aren't valid; it's that they're irrelevant. :)

While you let that sink in, I'll explain with a question:

"Is an Audi too expensive?"

You will answer "yes," and you'd be wrong. Your correct answer should have been "I can't afford it." Once you figure out the difference, the microeconomics of price-profit-value-supply-demand should become clear: You have no product rights. You don't need it. You don't deserve it. The purchase is a privilege. What's outlandish to you is merely you whining that you can't afford something. Others who can afford it and value something enough to pay the price become part of the microeconomic cycle, because the price matches the value at that point. Items priced at the upper tiers of whatever bell curve will naturally move slowly. However: Microsoft's Pro sales were positive and they had trouble keeping up with demand, just as they are with Pro 2. Therefore, looking at the supply-demand aspect, the Pro isn't too expensive. The RT line has far too many other variables involved to ever say only "the price is too high."

Then consider this: What sort of fool buys an Audi and then comes to the Audi forums to complain that the prices are too high and they should lower them to get more market share? That's not how it works. The smart consumer buys or doesn't buy and moves on. It's up to the company to decide how to proceed on the macro scale.

End-users like us shouldn't be obsessed about this sort of thing, only with how a purchase is performing to our needs/expectations. Everything else is gravy.

CrippsCorner

I do agree with you oion but I've seen other arguments elsewhere stating that the 'reason' the Surface models are too expensive is because they're not developed. Apple products have always been expensive, people expect it...

But with Surface, Microsoft went in too high and thus haven't got the high number of sales they'd like. Of course, 'too high' is subjective, it obviously wasn't for me, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one. But I find if I show them to friends their instant reaction is, "Why would I buy that when I can get an Apple product for the same price?".

Whilst this isn't at all fair, it's the way the general public are feeling. Hopefully things will work out for Microsoft and the Surface will eventually become a big seller, and a worthy premium product that people understand is just as good (if not better) than the Apple products they're comparing it too. At the moment? I'm not too hopeful on that, we shall just have to wait and see I guess.