What's new

Updated Firmware and Drivers - August 30, 2016

[snip]

My SP4 goes into S0iX, I typically lose 1-3% battery overnight, I've been on Battery today for 6 hours today allowing it to go into S0iX between meetings and I'm currently at 51% battery.

At what brightness? WiFi on? Bluetooth? What kind of usage?

If you send me a free copy of vmware workstation I promise I'll keep my opinions about the surface to myself for the rest of the year ;)

You need to create, edit VMs or just run them? If the latter VMware Player is free. If you need to create, Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager is free. I use both heavily.

Buy an old, used copy of VMw on eBay or some such, then use it to upgrade for a cheaper price. It's how I started eleven years ago. Uni student discounts be good too.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
At what brightness? WiFi on? Bluetooth? What kind of usage?
I use "Suggested" with Adaptive Brightness on....WiFi and Bluetooth on (but no Bluetooth device connected). In meetings I use OneNote for inking, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Conferencing\IM with Skype for Business. Also using Miracast to Conference Room Projectors or Screens....

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You need to create, edit VMs or just run them? If the latter VMware Player is free. If you need to create, Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager is free. I use both heavily.

Buy an old, used copy of VMw on eBay or some such, then use it to upgrade for a cheaper price. It's how I started eleven years ago. Uni student discounts be good too.
Or use Hyper-V as it is included with Windows 10 Pro...

I've recently upgraded to SP4 from SP3. Got a good deal on SP4 and sold SP3 so it was a no brainer for me.

I've taken someone's advice and reduced my max CPU to 80%. The purpose was to get better battery life and make SP4 virtually fan-less.

After making the change, the fan NEVER kicks in no matter what I do. I can play games and the fan still does not kick in. The back side of SP4 remains slightly warm after a while but never hot.

I have not noticed any noticeable degradation of performance. It still is very snappy and performs as I expect it.

macmee

thats ^ actually a great idea in terms of getting vmw for cheap. I use virtualbox now but I'd prefer to run my machines on vmware.

Or use Hyper-V as it is included with Windows 10 Pro...

I want to run OSX, not sure about doing that on ms virtual pc or whatever they call it now.

context: I already have a riMac but for fun I want to see if I can get OSX + xcode going on the surface. Could be nice for making quick fixes when I'm out with just the surface.

Last edited:
OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I want to run OSX, not sure about doing that on ms virtual pc or whatever they call it now.

context: I already have a riMac but for fun I want to see if I can get OSX + xcode going on the surface. Could be nice for making quick fixes when I'm out with just the surface.

That I can't help with that as running OSX on anything but Apple Hardware is a DMCA/Copywrite violation....

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does that mean my request to create a hackintosh section on the forum will fall on deaf ears? :(
Yes....as Hackintosh Builds require hack and/or cracked ROMs:

15. Warez, Paid Apps for free, Paid Apps included in ROMs, the Sharing of Paid Apps is not allowed on SurfaceForums.net. Warnings, Infractions or Banning May Result at the Moderator's Discretion. Direct links to downloads of any type are not permitted unless you are on staff or have prior permission from an Administrator. Unsolicited links to any apps are profibited

Becosemsaida

IOS, Hackintosh........ :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back on topic..... After checking some updates, stuff and some tweaks i found on here and there i think i got my surface starting to be what i need it to be. Has been a long time to get here but i'm going the right way. Maybe i should ask Microsoft to pay me for doing their job ?

For now: stable, no freezes, battery 5-6H Reading and browsing (Edge and Firefox) lots and lots of mail (push) doc editing and music on..... Afterall there was hope for it, just needed a bit of research and help from you guys. As you all must already know i DON'T COMPROMISE on anything so auto-brightness, full Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth on, etc. etc. Next step is trying to get more batt life..

Auto-update is (for now) OFF... And i only turn it on if i see that the improvement is worth it.

Beco