What's new

Tried to apply for Microsoft extended cover but...

uktivo

I'm based in the UK and today I registered my SP3 and thought I'd investigate the cost to have the Microsoft extended cover.
On closer inspection the cost was 150 pounds but only offered a 12 month cover. Is this right? USA seem to be getting 2 years cover.. or am I wrong?

OP
U

uktivo

As an update. Over on the official surface forum site, I asked about the standard warranty period on an SP3 purchased from MS in the uk. I was advised on the site that the period was 2 years. When I registered the unit today online with MS, the site told me my warranty runs our in Oct 2015. 1 year, not two. Also. MS own store page stated a 2 year warranty on the sp3. Anybody had the same issue?

Update

Wow. Just checked their web page again and now it says 1 year
I'm sure I took a print out if the screen when I purchased it.. I will dig it out.

JesseDiaz

I know mine was 2 years. I checked the print out and it says Sept 2016. How they got to September since I got it the first day it was available ( in June ) I don't know

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just checked my cover - at myservice.surface.com, it's a bit confusing as it says the standard warranty runs out November 25th 2015..... which is a bizarre date, and the extended warranty expires Nov 24 2016 so it is more than 2 years. I am in UK.

OP
U

uktivo

It did. I started a thread on the official Microsoft forum and posted a screen shot clearing showing the uk store details as a 2 year limited warranty.
That post is still there. I won't post a link just incase it's not allowed.

But now my warranty registration is saying 1 year. I will take this further as the contract I entered into when deciding to buy the unit was 2 years warranty. So if this turns out to be correct, MS have broken the law.
Here is a screen shot from the thread I mentioned above.

IMG_20140913_152610_edit.png

OP
U

uktivo

OK, so officially from MS customer services today. MS made a mistake when advertising the surface tablet.
They advertised it with a 2 year limited warranty but they said this was a mistake and it should have been 1 year.
I actually took a pdf screen shot of the page when I pre-ordered the item that I still have.
So.. I've paid over £1400 for a tablet that was advertised with a 2 year warranty, now it has a 1 year warranty. I believe this practise is illegal in the UK. It's called "miss-Selling". I asked the customer service agent if they would offer me the extended warranty in place of the miss advertised warranty. They said NO.. nothing can be done.
This is an absolute outrage that MS think they can treat customers like this.

I suggest that any UK person that pre-ordered the SP3 on or before the 22nd August should also ensure they too get their 2 year warranty as advertised. MS offered me a refund, this is not an acceptable offer as I do not wish to refund the unit. I merely wish to get the deal that was advertised at placement of the contract.
Here is a copy of the PDF I screen grabbed on the 22nd August.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 425

raqball

I don't get the outrage or the issue. A mistake was made and they've offered you a refund.

If you do not like the warranty terms then take the refund and buy a different product.

Am I missing something?

OP
U

uktivo

I don't get the outrage or the issue. A mistake was made and they've offered you a refund.

If you do not like the warranty terms then take the refund and buy a different product.

Am I missing something?

So you feel being miss-sold a product, then being told tough.. we aren't prepared to do anything about it.. is fair?

I don't want a refund, I want the deal I contracted and paid for. My tablet works fine and does everything I want it to do. Why should I be forced to accept a refund? Microsoft have made the mistake, not me. Why should I be the one that is inconvenienced? I don't understand your logic.. sorry. MS sell extended warranty periods. Why can't they offer this to me in place of the missing warranty?