What's new

Microsoft Complete for S3 in the UK

patters

Could someone with a UK Surface 3 please visit https://myservice.surface.com/en-GB/pages/welcome.aspx and post back here with how much Microsoft Complete cover will cost for this model?

I'm about to buy one, but John Lewis apparently do a third party accidental damage cover for 3 years for £85 if I buy it there. Is this more than Complete, or the same? I know it's £150 for S3Pro, but I imagine the S3 cover will be cheaper. Seems odd that Microsoft are so secretive about the price of this - the only way you can find out is by entering your serial number.

Zippy0n

I could try tonight, in work at the mo, do you have to register your device before you can access the Microsoft Cover page? no problem if you do.

Dave

OP
P

patters

Thanks, yes you do have to register the serial number to prove the entitlement to buy.
However, I was able to get the answer this morning from a support chat session: Microsoft Complete for S3 is £79 for two years' protection inc. accidental damage. You would pay £49 if you need to make a claim, and are limited to two device replacements.

John Lewis' policy is £85 for three years with no excess, terms here:
http://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/more-about-added-care#terms-and-conditions

but I'd be nervous about some 3rd party service centre attempting a repair. I guess it's likely you'd just be given a refurb or shop soiled one. Also the Surface 3 will probably be fairly useless in three years' time so I'm not convinced of the additional value.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, yes you do have to register the serial number to prove the entitlement to buy.
However, I was able to get the answer this morning from a support chat session: Microsoft Complete for S3 is £79 for two years' protection inc. accidental damage. You would pay £49 if you need to make a claim, and are limited to two device replacements.

John Lewis' policy is £85 for three years with no excess, terms here:
http://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/more-about-added-care#terms-and-conditions

but I'd be nervous about some 3rd party service centre attempting a repair. I guess it's likely you'd just be given a refurb or shop soiled one. Also the Surface 3 will probably be fairly useless in three years' time so I'm not convinced of the additional value.

While I agree about the worry of a third party, you also have to remember that this is via John Lewis. Few companies come close to JL when it comes to warranty and CS issues. My mother recently had a mug of coffee poured over her out of warranty ultra book courtesy of a cat. No warranty, but still ended up with a brand new replacement a week later after JL said it wasn't under warranty but they'd see what they could do.

OP
P

patters

I was considering buying the Microsoft Complete cover now that I have my Surface 3, but I discovered today that you can no longer buy it in the 45 days following purchase. This changed in the last few days apparently. This was pretty irritating because I don't recall it being offered in the Microsoft Store when I was buying the device. I called Microsoft and even at their end they can no longer bind warranty SKUs to existing serial numbers. Even with the recent change of policy they are unable to make an exception, so be warned!

The only way of getting Microsoft Complete was to return the entire device to Microsoft for a refund since I was still within the cooling off period. However on close inspection of my home contents insurance I realised that I already have personal device accidental damage cover with a £50 excess. No point in double insuring!