What's new

Traveling with the SP3

dleuen

I am on vacation right now with my SP3. It has worked incredibly well so far. Battery has been great, no problems with TSA.

whyjoe

You can't rely on a consistent TSA policy with the Surface Pro 3. I'm a frequent traveler and I have experience every iteration of this policy. Agents have told me to take it out, to leave it in... and, just today, the pre-screening agent told me to leave it in. Only to have the screening agent ask me to take it out, so she could re-scan it, holding up the line. She remarked after, "It looks very complex inside!" ...Okayyyy.

In general, if there are bins and I remember, I try to take it out to avoid any hassle. It's so light, it takes little effort.

Cambo

I travel overseas a lot and it is never an issue just to whip it out of my backpack.I also love seeing the look on peoples faces when I use it on a plane

kristalsoldier

I've had this experience too...flying out of Heathrow first to Toronto...you have to take out everything...so out came my SP3, my Nexus 10 and my iPad Air. The security people did not even bat an eyelid. Flying back from Toronto to Heathrow, I went through the same exercise again and the agent at the scanner asked me why I needed three devices. I said, the Nexus 10 is for movies before I go to sleep, the iPad is for reading my reference texts (I am in academia) and my SP3 is for writing my next book and for everything else. He gave me one of the most curious looks I have ever gotten! A few weeks later, I was flying out from Heathrow to Mumbai. Again, no questions at Heathrow, but when flying back from Mumbai, again the agent at the scanner asked me the same question about carrying three devices. I gave him the same answer. But this time instead of letting me pass, he called his supervisor. This guy took me aside and asked me the same question again to which I answered in the same way. He then grinned at me and said that he did not quite understand people like me and why I needed to carry three personal devices. I told him that I was actually carrying four - he had forgotten to count my phone. He just shook his head and let me pass. The look on his face must have been worth at least £10,000!!!

As all this was going on, my partner was experiencing her own problems. She was carrying a Surface 2 (RT) and a Nexus 10 and two phones!

On the drive back from Heathrow to home, we briefly discussed whether or not we should travel lighter next time - at least in terms of digital equipment. We quickly gave up the idea!!!

No! I ain't going nowhere without my gadgets! And, THAT is final!!!

Edit: I don't even bother not taking out the devices. I just take them out and lay them in the bins. At least that saves 30 seconds at the scanning machines!!!

silkrooster

Some airports want all electronics out and in a bin, others put everything through X-Ray, but a bunch of chargers may make them do a look see through your bag. That was before the new rule to have all devices turned on.
I really hope they install outlets or usb ports so travelers can prove the device works when they forgot to charge the battery. I can see it happening.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tomorrow I'm going to a meeting in Central London. I'm taking my work laptop which is a nice little Lenovo and quite portable, but I'll also be packing in the SP3... as it'll make little to no weight difference in my bag compared to my laptop. Why am I taking SP3? In case I want to take notes... I can't be arsed to carry paper...lol.

GTiceman

Just got back from a work trip and had my laptop and my SP3. work laptop came out, SP# stayed in the bag and not a second glance was given.

I used ym SP3 the whole trip, the work laptop was a backup in case I needed to access my VPN.

ptrkhh

When he got to the airport in Paris to change planes, (keep in mind this was 1988) they wanted him to turn it on before allowing him to go to the gate. He had used all the battery on the plane so it wouldn't turn on. They looked all over for a place to plug it in so he could prove it was really a laptop. They found an outlet at one of the airline ticket counters but when he plugged it in he forgot to take the surge suppressor off first, which was NOT auto sensing.. It smoked and sparked and nearly caught fire (big time) and knocked out the entire ticket counter for that airline. The security people were so upset they told him to go get on the plane without any further checking.
And this, terrorists, how you can get inside the planes...

Anyway, I normally take my tablets out for checking, whether they ask for it or not. Id rather take out a 1kg item from my bag than having unnecessary conversations.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got back from a work trip and had my laptop and my SP3. work laptop came out, SP# stayed in the bag and not a second glance was given.

I used ym SP3 the whole trip, the work laptop was a backup in case I needed to access my VPN.

So you did or you didn't use the SP3...I'm confused??!