What's new

30 Day Return Policy... - Calendar Reminder Has Been Set

So I just set a calendar reminder for myself for the Friday before the 30 days is up... I guess I'm not as willing to deal as I once was. While I think the SP3 is an amazing device, and my SP2 which I sold for the SP3 had countless issues that were finally cleared up almost 6 months after release, I just don't have it in me to go through that again with the SP3.

Who else has set a reminder going into the final week of returns if some of these bugs (throttling, pen issues, battery woes, etc) aren't cleared up?

*Oh yeah and horrible wifi speeds. Sitting right next to my Apple Extreme router and it took 45 minutes to transfer 1.4gigs of data over from my NAS. My SP2, which I backed up from just a week ago took just 4 minutes*

Mario

Last edited:

bamaster

I'm having a little buyer's remorse, myself. I have great wifi speeds (not on 5 GHz band, though) and the display is stunning. But... it gets kinda crazy hot and the battery life isn't really what I was hoping for.

My issue is that I have a 2nd gen Lenovo X1 Carbon (i7/256/8GB) and while it's missing the stylus, it is pretty dang slick. I love the fingerprint reader, makes me wish SP3 had biometrics. There just isn't much of a compelling case to keep the SP3, for me. The Type Cover is improved but it doesn't hold a candle to Lenovo's. The fan noise is a bit of a downer.

And I wish there was a way to have it go to High Performance mode when plugged in, but Power Saver mode when on battery. And I can't seem to get it to go to sleep by closing the cover. Sometimes it works, other times no. Power management feels clunky to me. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks before making the decision to keep it or not. I'm hoping another update or two will change my mind.

mcsenerd

I might be doing the same. Luckily I kept the SP2 which is still working fine for me. My biggest issue right now is that for some reason the SP3 refuses to associate to my corporate internal wireless whereas the SP2 had zero issues at all. It's a real sticking point for me and one that might be big enough to make me send it back.

OP
L

liftbikerun

I like it a lot, it's the perfect size, and it's very convenient. It's more a luxury for me than a requirement, and I have a giant 27" iMac and 5 other computers in this house, including countless tablets (iPads and Androids), my LG G2, etc, that I can use... I ripped my stereo out of my car and returned it because I was unhappy with it and used that towards the SP3, along with what I got from my SP2. I'm thinking I may just go get the stereo I want and return the SP3.

diamond.g

I can't help but wonder if MS made a mistake offering Connected Standby (InstantGO) on this device, or at least not offering a GUI way of turning it off.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can't help but wonder if MS made a mistake offering Connected Standby (InstantGO) on this device, or at least not offering a GUI way of turning it off.

Because Connected Standby Machines are created from the ground up as Connected Standby Machines, these were created to be able to offer the best battery life possible in a thin and light package while using a Core CPU.

diamond.g

Because Connected Standby Machines are created from the ground up as Connected Standby Machines, these were created to be able to offer the best battery life possible in a thin and light package while using a Core CPU.

Don't get me wrong, coming from an ATIV 500T the SP3 is amazing. I just also see the frustrations from those that are coming from other Core CPU devices. The performance just isn't where those that had/have a SP2 is.

Klownicle

My biggest issue is the throttling due to the smaller profile/connected standby. However coming from a Surface Pro 1st Generation, I'm very happy with my purchase. It feels great, and a device like this is about the feel. In regards to the "issues". I have no doubt in my mind they will be dealt with. Stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Last edited:

mcsenerd

There's no knots in my thong ;-)

But with the wireless issues I'm facing on the SP3...I just don't know if I can deal with them at work. Look, I love the device. I think it's great and while it might "feel" and work a bit slower than the SP2 I have, it's not enough to kill me with what I do. But I do travel a lot and I go to many of our offices around the country. I just can't deal with not being able to connect wirelessly to our internal network. Will it ever be solved? I'm sure it will be, but the SP3 is a splurge that I don't "need" especially when I actually had the SP2 working so well finally. I was just hoping that after 2 rounds of Surface Pros that the initial experience issues might have been ironed out by now. But I sit here and watch the wonderful Avastar wireless device disappear again in Device Mangler...it's clear that such hope was misplaced :-/