What's new

Touchscreen Calibration problem?

mohcho

Still no go. I removed both of those drivers and reinstalled them and the same issue is present.

No, I haven't called Surface support because I want to explore all avenues before getting online with tech support who will ask me to perform the same troubleshooting options.

Technical support is part of my job so I don't want to leave to someone else if I can fix it myself.

I can't see this being a hardware issue since the pen still works properly on the screen, so somehow as jnjroach said, the Windows calibration obviously broke something in the software.

As a last resort, I'll refresh the system back to factory settings, but I want to leave that until I have no other option.

mohcho

Tell me about it.

I have done everything as per Microsoft's instructions here (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...recovery/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro), with exception to refreshing and resetting it. I'm tempted to refresh it and see what happens. I've already restored it to an earlier state before the last updates on August 12th. I have also done a hard reset of the device and same issue (volume up + power).

I've attached another picture of the current state of the screen touch input issue.

Does anyone know if NTRIG has calibration software for the SP3? I've looked on their site and it's pretty sparse.

Attachments

• FreshPaint-10-2014.08.20-08.27.12.jpg
    FreshPaint-10-2014.08.20-08.27.12.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 1,060

Liam2349

Tell me about it.

I have done everything as per Microsoft's instructions here (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...recovery/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro), with exception to refreshing and resetting it. I'm tempted to refresh it and see what happens. I've already restored it to an earlier state before the last updates on August 12th. I have also done a hard reset of the device and same issue (volume up + power).

I've attached another picture of the current state of the screen touch input issue.

Does anyone know if NTRIG has calibration software for the SP3? I've looked on their site and it's pretty sparse.

Did you install any updates from the N-trig website?

mohcho

I refreshed my SP3 and the issue remained. Since all my installed applications were gone, I decided to reset it and go back to factory settings and the issue still remained. I'm installing all the updates again to see if it will hopefully fix it, but I think I'm going to have to call it in as a hardware failure on the screen.

It's so strange that it was working perfectly and once I ran the calibration, it all went out the window.

Going to call Microsoft to see if I can bring it to a store for a direct replacement. I went onto the online support and they can ship me an advanced exchange device, but this is my primary work machine and it's annoying not being able to use it properly.

Liam2349

I refreshed my SP3 and the issue remained. Since all my installed applications were gone, I decided to reset it and go back to factory settings and the issue still remained. I'm installing all the updates again to see if it will hopefully fix it, but I think I'm going to have to call it in as a hardware failure on the screen.

It's so strange that it was working perfectly and once I ran the calibration, it all went out the window.

Going to call Microsoft to see if I can bring it to a store for a direct replacement. I went onto the online support and they can ship me an advanced exchange device, but this is my primary work machine and it's annoying not being able to use it properly.

That is definitely strange. I'm sure if you take it in they will probably replace it for you there.

mohcho

Got on the phone with them and the guy asked me to go into the advanced recovery options which takes you out of Windows and the screen still not respond, which points to a hardware problem. He called a local store and confirmed that they have stock and made an appointment to get an exchange for a new unit. Kind of annoying that all of this happened, but what are you going to do.

Word of caution, don't recalibrate your screen!

Bandito

I don't think that the failure was caused by the screen recalibration, but occurred at or near the same time.

As I understand it, the hardware for the pen input and the touch input are separate individual systems, so it is definitely possible to have one fail while the other continues to function normally.

Best of luck with your new "baby"!

mohcho

Just an update, I went to the store, the guy looked at it and confirmed the issue, he went to the back, pulled out a new box and voila, brand new SP3, charger and pen. Everything looks good so far, just had it doing all the latest updates, etc.

jpfive

Just an update, I went to the store, the guy looked at it and confirmed the issue, he went to the back, pulled out a new box and voila, brand new SP3, charger and pen. Everything looks good so far, just had it doing all the latest updates, etc.

So, how is the new unit working? Did it solve the problem? I have been having the same experience with my SP3, which has had me close to returning it. I will call MS for an exchange if it will solve the problem, but otherwise I would prefer to just avoid the aggravation and return it. Thanks, Jack