What's new

Terrible battery life

OP
A

Aaron Pepelis

funny, everyone keeps asking about hyper-v, I don't have any virtualization running on this.

I'm pretty conservative about what I install on my surface so the only things that happen at start up are things that I "need"; vpn for work, creative cloud, scansnap manager, and the adobe updater.

Same for me bro in the start about a year ago i used to get about 4.5 hrs out of the battery , but now it has significantly dropped , now my SP2 is giving me a max of 2.5hs which is really sad for a device costing around 1500$

task manager.JPG
programs installed.JPG
task manager.JPG
These are snapshots from my system let me know.
programs installed.JPG

malberttoo

Same for me bro in the start about a year ago i used to get about 4.5 hrs out of the battery , but now it has significantly dropped , now my SP2 is giving me a max of 2.5hs which is really sad for a device costing around 1500$

Also remember, that the Desktop apps consume more power than Metro apps. If you spend all your time in Desktop, then I could see you having an issue.

I myself am a fairly heavy Chrome user on my workstation, but I stick with IE on the SP3 as it's more battery friendly.

Anything that keeps your wireless card constantly chatting is going to hurt as well.

I'm still getting well over 5 hours using a mix of Desktop and Metro, Outlook, a Teamviewer client, etc. But if I'm at a spot where battery life is important to me, then I'm picking and choosing what I'm doing at that moment, paying attention to screen brightness, etc.

Just my .02.

Well... you have a Whose Who of Battery Killers....

iTunes
Dropbox
Skype Win32 Application
Chrome
TeamViewer Server
uTorrent

I'm surprised you're getting 2.5 hours....

So i have closed Itunes , Dropbox , Team viewer, utorrent , from the task manager also , so do i still need to uninstall these to have a prper battery life , as they come in my use from time to time.
Skype is my main communication tool , the metro aap of skype sucks big time !
Chrome i never used its just sitting there , i dont use it almost ever. so it has to be uninstalled or not using it can do the trick ?

Also remember, that the Desktop apps consume more power than Metro apps. If you spend all your time in Desktop, then I could see you having an issue.

I myself am a fairly heavy Chrome user on my workstation, but I stick with IE on the SP3 as it's more battery friendly.

Anything that keeps your wireless card constantly chatting is going to hurt as well.

I'm still getting well over 5 hours using a mix of Desktop and Metro, Outlook, a Teamviewer client, etc. But if I'm at a spot where battery life is important to me, then I'm picking and choosing what I'm doing at that moment, paying attention to screen brightness, etc.

Just my .02.

I got the Surface pro 2 as a replacement for my laptop over the macbook air, and consider it to work with

windows the conventional way , MS brags about such high battery life but its just for the metro apps with the desktop mode you dont get much. wireless card also have a very terrible range issue also.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So i have closed Itunes , Dropbox , Team viewer, utorrent , from the task manager also , so do i still need to uninstall these to have a prper battery life , as they come in my use from time to time.
Skype is my main communication tool , the metro aap of skype sucks big time !
Chrome i never used its just sitting there , i dont use it almost ever. so it has to be uninstalled or not using it can do the trick ?
Any application that is running in task manager (as an Application or Service) will impact battery life, Chrome by default loads itself into memory even it is not running. iTunes has 4-5 services/applications running including Bonjour, Apple Updater, QuickTime, etc.. The only desktop application I run is Office 2016, everything else I use is a Modern UI App (or now called Windows App), I get 6.5-8.5 hours of battery life and I'm using Windows 10 and Office 2016. The choice is your...

which win 10 are you running did you got the chance to upgrade via the windows website ? or have you done it manually. ?
ill delete these apps n check the outcome of battery life will update soon with the results