What's new

Terrible battery life

after reading people's posts... I'm confused at how you get such good batterylife. If I put my surface beside me, with nothing running on it and the screen timed out, it will be dead in about 1.5-2.5hrs max.
this is from this morning when it was just sitting beside me at my work not really doing anything:
09:05:15 Active Battery 100 % 40,589 mWh
11:21:32 Active AC 10 % 4,248 mWh

I just got this SP2 (my 3rd one) cause after a few months, the max battery I will get out of it is 1.5hrs. I wish I got 5hrs out of it... 6 is unheard of for me even with the power cover.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a thread on battery life... has some tips on optimizing the indexer.
Chrome will absolutely suck the life out of the battery even when your not using it, dump it.
I have seen a couple anomalies occur with trying to sync OneDrive you should make sure you don't have a file its hung on.

Short of a hardware problem, Terrible battery life is a result of running terrible software.

Last edited:

Zkyevolved

I can't say Chrome is a problem for me. I get 6-7 hours of use. Always minimum 5 and I pretty much ALWAYS have Chrome open. :S You must have something else going on to kill it in just a few hours.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't say Chrome is a problem for me. I get 6-7 hours of use. Always minimum 5 and I pretty much ALWAYS have Chrome open. :S You must have something else going on to kill it in just a few hours.
It partly depends on what your doing with it but it's a well established fact Chrome kills battery, settled science. Although he has other issues too.

OP
A

Aaron Pepelis

uninstalled chrome. letting it basically just sit on my desk at 75% screen brightness.

It's funny cause my hp envy from 2011 gets the same battery life as the surface when I'm at my radio station, but the surface is doing practically nothing and the hp envy is running Traktor, eclipse, dbpoweramp, and doing a ton of raw audio file conversion on the cmd through some scripts. Plus, it has 2x2TB 2.5 drives powered off usb

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So while its sitting on your desk at 75% brightness what's the screen doing???
If your doing nothing the screen should be blank. So how frequently is the screen display changing? Constantly?