What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

First off, thank you very much for making this Surface Pro tweaking tool! Would really come in handy on my Surface Pro 2. I'm mostly interested in the 308 point pen calibration part. I have my Surface Pro 2's screen resolution set to 1600x900 as it allows easier reading of content on my screen (even when a hand distance away) and prevents application icons from blurring as I can set the scaling to 100%. However, now I can't use your awesome pen calibration tool to calibrate my Surface Pro's pen.

Could you kindly inform me of how to create custom calibration for this screen resolution? Or better yet, could you integrate it into your Surface Tweak tool? Thanks in advance.

OP
G

GoodBytes

That would be a lot of work on my side. Not coding it, but testing to know where the points needs to be. I need to do many tests. That is why I can't make one for the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3, sadly. As the Surface Pro 2 can't reach such resolution to even test anything.

It is best to increase DPI. Increasing DPI will get you a sharp image. If things are blurry, did you try and restart the system? Did you check if your a newer version of your software that are High-DPI aware?

Windows 10 does a better job at scaling non-supported programs. Perhaps it would be best to wait for Windows 10 official release, and see if you can increase the DPI, and things are better for you. As it would be silly to work on something that might not be needed.

jaekqubp

I was running my system at 1600 X 900 for a while, as well. It seems to me that it's a lot easier on the eyes than using DPI scaling. Incidentally, I think that it is a slightly lighter load on battery life, as well. I did however run into some issues with certain modern applications not rendering on the screen correctly.

OP
G

GoodBytes

I was running my system at 1600 X 900 for a while, as well. It seems to me that it's a lot easier on the eyes than using DPI scaling. Incidentally, I think that it is a slightly lighter load on battery life, as well. I did however run into some issues with certain modern applications not rendering on the screen correctly.
I'll see what I can do.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Fantastic news people!

I was able to enable the Intel Control Panel with the Surface Pro drivers :D
(only tested under Windows 10 Build 10166).
No driver file replaced or anything like that, just driver configuration changes.

Need to finish implementing it, however.
Expect a new version soon.

Surface 3 owners, if anyone is interested in being a test subject to try and help me figure out (as I don't have a Surface 3) on how to fix the Intel driver issues on your side, let me know.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodBytes

Just to share something I have discovered. I don't know if this is a temporary decision or permanent from Intel.
But if you get the latest Intel drivers from Windows Update, you have absolutely no control panel. All the files related to it are not there.

What is also interesting, is that you can't even download the drivers, clicking on teh page to download it, leads to this page:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...ro-and-HD-Graphics-Beta-Driver-for-Windows-10
Which just says to go through Windows Update

jaekqubp

I've been using version 10.18.10.4226 of the drivers from Intel for a little while now. They seem to be working well, without a discernable impact on battery life -- though the unit doesn't have the greatest battery life, so it's hard to say for sure. I haven't done any formal benchmark.

These drivers from Intel can be downloaded here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24973/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit

I've been using version 10.18.10.4226 of the drivers from Intel for a little while now. They seem to be working well, without a discernable impact on battery life, though the unit doesn't have the greatest battery life, so it's hard to say for sure.

I disabled automatic updates, downloaded the zip, and installed it using the update option in Device Manager.
Then I hid the system firmware update the device driver update that inevitably showed up in Windows Update.
This prevents Windows from automatically reverting back to their version of the display driver.

So far, so good.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Here is a new version of Surface Tweak Tool for Windows 10 users (untested under Windows 8.1). This is not an official release, but rather an experimental build.

This version contain the ability to enable the Intel Control Panel (where you can disable the dynamic contrast ratio on battery)
Direct file download link removed per forum guidelines.

Please let me know if it works or not.

preview1.png

preview2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

GoodBytes

Is this of little use to SP3 owners, or still pretty much on par with SP2 owners? TY.
Both the SP2 and SP3 share the same specs. So while I don't have a SP3 to test, it should work. Please let me know. Feedback from you guys is what makes this tool better and better.

Saul

Exactly the same, I thought there was subtle but notable differences, cant recall them all OTTOMH now?
But yes I will test soon (time permitting) & give some feedback... BR.