What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

dezmenn

There isn't an exact path. That is why I made Surface Tweak Tool. Else then that, I would have just made a reg file and say where to go exactly for those who prefer it to do by hand.
Does the tool support surface 3? The reg u provided im afraid it would crash my graphic drivers.

OP
G

GoodBytes

The graphics solution in the Surface 3 is different than the Surface Pro 2, and 3.
I don't have a Surface 3. If you have the problem, I would wait for a new version of Surface Tweak Tool, which will only change the needed options.
I'll work on it once Windows 10 is released with Intel latest drivers.

dezmenn

Thanks. But at the moment is there any temporary fix? The screen flickering is very annoying when watching videos. What about windows 8.1? Can you work with drivers for windows 8.1 for surface 3? You can download it from microsoft.

OP
G

GoodBytes

What I suggest is to install Intel web site drivers, to have the Intel control panel. When you'll do it, be sure to hide Windows Update, that will show up, called "System Hardware Update", which is the Surface 3 Intel drivers which will uninstall the Intel website drivers you just installed, and install back to the Surface 3 one. You'll need to repeat this step at every System firmware release (luckily it is not a common to have firmware upgrades).

On Intel website, when you download your graphics card drivers, be sure to download teh .zip version of the drivers, and not the .exe.
You need to do this, as the naming of the graphics solution is different, and the setup won't recognize the graphics card, and fail to lunch the setup. You'll need to install it via the Device Manager.

To do this, open device manager (you can search for it in the start menu search, or right-click on the start menu, and select "Device Manager"). On the panel, expand "Display adapters", under it, you'll find the Intel integrated graphics. Right-click on it, and select Uninstall, check the box to delete the drivers.
Once done, restart your system, and now IMMEDIATELY, to to Windows Update, find the "System Hardware Update" and hide it, before Windows installs it.

Then extract the Intel drivers zip file, now open Device Manager again (as it closed form your system restart), go back to Display adapters, and double click on the item you see under. A panel will open, go to the "Driver" tab, and click on the "Update Driver..." button.

A wizard will pop-up. Click on "Browse my computer for drivers software", click on the "Browse" button, and select the folder of where you extracted the Intel drivers you extracted a moment ago. Be sure the checkbox "Include subfolders" is checked. Click on Next. It should install them. Restart your system.

Once done, verify again that "System Hardware Update" in Windows update, doesn't show up again, if it does, hide it.
Once that is done, you should be good to go. Right-click on your desktop, and you should have Intel control panel option. Open it, go under Power (going by memory, sorry for the inaccuracies), then at the top left corner, next to the Back button, you have a down arrow next to "Power", click on it, and select "Battery" (yes, Intel really hiding it).
Then, you'll find "Display Power Saving Technology" (which as you can see, it is just dynamic contrast ratio, and after multiple measurements confirms it saves no battery life), select "Disable". Be sure that "Graphics Power Plan", didn't change to "Balance". Be sure it is at "Maximum Battery life". This is one of the many driver bugs from Intel graphic drivers that you expect to never be fixed as per usual.

dezmenn

Which driver should I download? Non of it supports the atom graphics. Im afraid there will be downfalls in battery life.

OP
G

GoodBytes

Then I'll wait for your tool. Btw, this screen flickering issue is not seen when its plugged in.
Yup. Only on battery. I don't know what is the obsession for Microsoft to turn it on by default, let alone remove the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

dezmenn

im thinking the option to configure graphics control panel will significantly affect the battery life. That is why microsoft removes it.

OP
G

GoodBytes

While I only tested it on my Surface Pro 2, I haven't seen any battery life difference.
In real world, I GAINED battery life, as I used to increase my screen brightness as it dimmed the colors on dark screen to compensate.

I bet you the feature was supposed to work on reverse, but it one of those Intel bugs that will never be fixed.
Where on dark screen, it will boost colors and increase contrast so that you don't need to increase the screen brightness. Now, THAT would make sense. I think it would still be annoying, but at least it would make sense. This is what Nintendo does on its DS and 3DS game console when you turn one the power saving feature. Well it does it a bit differently, which is more cleaver, and less visible to the eye in a gaming environment.

dezmenn

After disabling Generic Pnp Monitor, it seems it's fixed. But I cant control brightness anymore. Seems good enough for me.