What's new

Surface Tweak Tool for Surface Pro 2 - Release!

Max91

here the screen Cattura di schermata (4).png

jrapdx

Ok it would seam that the software need some files it is dependent on, to make it work properly.
Sorry about that guys. While I thought I made that, clearly I didn't do it right. I'm pulling the link for now, while I look into it.
If you guys don't mind, can you try installing Visual C++ Redistribution files: Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download Center
(close my software before hand. Be sure it's closed in the task manager), and now try. Only takes a few seconds.

Thanks guys, and sorry again!

OK, I installed the VC++ x86-64 and x86 runtimes, and tried the app again. This time it did open and shows the system info as expected.

A few comments:
  • I notice it's a 32 bit app. Maybe it doesn't matter but any reason it's not 64 bit (given a 64 bit OS)?
  • The app window is a large, fixed size. It would be nicer if size was adjustable. Even better if the app could display info in a very condensed format, kind of like task manager/performance can do.
  • I know it's beta, but better labels will be helpful. For example, it's not immediately obvious what "Aero Shake" refers to. Since the settings/switches are accessible in Windows/OEM utilities, a pointer to the standard/system location of the setting might help app users feel more comfortable. There are often many ways to do things in Windows, and "cross references" could help reduce the mysteries of navigation quite a bit.
  • I didn't try the pen calibration based on comments above re: having Wacom utility installed. I'd agree the proposed warning is a good idea.
A good start! I'll be interested to see where you go with the utility.

FWIW, I imagine there are many people in this community who are willing and able to help you refine the app. Have you considered open-sourcing it? (I realize there could be reasons not to, but seems like the kind of project people would contribute to.)

olimjj

FWIW, I imagine there are many people in this community who are willing and able to help you refine the app. Have you considered open-sourcing it? (I realize there could be reasons not to, but seems like the kind of project people would contribute to.)

I second that suggestion.

Max91

I can confirm it works fine installing VC ++ both 64x and 86x version!!!

I think you have to improve description for the functions!
If you think to improve multilingual support I can provide Italian translation!!

OP
G

GoodBytes

Where do I find the download?

I just need to fix a big problem which makes the software not operate properly due to missing files. I need to look into it.
I am setting up Windows 8 on a virtual machine, to start testing. I only have 2 computers. Desktop and Surface Pro 2, and they are both configured in such way that everything in my software runs fine, but sadly not for anyone that doesn't have Visual Studio 2013 installed.

OP
G

GoodBytes

OK, I installed the VC++ x86-64 and x86 runtimes, and tried the app again. This time it did open and shows the system info as expected.

A few comments:
  • I notice it's a 32 bit app. Maybe it doesn't matter but any reason it's not 64 bit (given a 64 bit OS)?
  • The app window is a large, fixed size. It would be nicer if size was adjustable. Even better if the app could display info in a very condensed format, kind of like task manager/performance can do.
  • I know it's beta, but better labels will be helpful. For example, it's not immediately obvious what "Aero Shake" refers to. Since the settings/switches are accessible in Windows/OEM utilities, a pointer to the standard/system location of the setting might help app users feel more comfortable. There are often many ways to do things in Windows, and "cross references" could help reduce the mysteries of navigation quite a bit.
  • I didn't try the pen calibration based on comments above re: having Wacom utility installed. I'd agree the proposed warning is a good idea.
A good start! I'll be interested to see where you go with the utility.

Due to time constraint with university, I used, for the GUI, a programming language that I know very well, and gives me the power to do the GUI that you see in mater of minutes (like really, minutes). The software is made in Flash (ActionScript 2.0), despite knowing C# and C++. I was also hopping to make the software DPI aware with the idea that, because Flash is vector based, everything will scale perfectly. Sadly, that didn't end up happening according to plan.

That means that I am stuck with it to be a 32-bit program as the program I use to make Flash 100% standalone and executable, is 32-bit, and that doesn't make 64-bit version. Contacting the company lead that they made their software part in Visual Basic, and they, apparently, can't make it happen. I guess that this is the problem when you pile up dependencies (live and learn). To extend Flash, I made a C++ plugins (System.dll), to allow the entire software to do it's job. That is why, if you don't have the VC++ redistributable files, the program partially work.

Scalable I can do, if anyone know how to make a manifest XML file that tells windows that the program is high DPI aware, and make it request credential elevation to the user as it does not, that will fix the blurry app. As for making making it scalable, this will allow everything to scale as you want, keeping everything sharp, as the entire GUI is vector based. If free time allowed, I could see in trying to find a way to see if I can get a flag of sort to tell me that the system is on a high-DPI setting, and than scale the window to a certain size so that the scaling by default is done for you. (or scrap it all, and convert it into C# or something, but that won't happen due to time constrain as mentioned).

The program assumes a certain level of Windows understanding, as it is a tweak tool, with no support, and 'use at your own risk', making me actually want people to troubleshoot any issues themselves, and detect if something is not right, it might be a tweak with this program the problem. Also, Aero Shake can't be disabled in Windows, beside group policies, which means that it can only be accessed in the pro version of Windows (Windows 7 professional, enterprise and ultimate, and Windows 8 pro and enterprise). But I'll see what I can improve in the description.

If they are people interested working in any way on this software, I can make it open source. As I doubt anyone has Flash, to even get started, to port it into a C# or C++, and/or make it better, I doubt anyone will acre to participate (I can certainly pitch in). I really don't have any time to really push it. A feature that was scrapped, due to time constrains, is the "extension" tab where it would offer a list of other people tweaks. For example, there was a tweak to offer the ability to turn on and off the touch screen. It used a program from someone else who allowed the ability to make this work. My software could access the author web site, download it, extract the files, and perform the entire configuration for you, all from a mouse click. But that is waaayy too time consuming to do for me. But if they are people willing, I have no problem in helping out making this a reality.

As for more condense information, I believe that this will make the software less inviting, and too cluttered. It also needs to be touch friendly, and fit with Windows 8 look and feel.
Also, I don't know what else to add.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoodBytes

I can confirm it works fine installing VC ++ both 64x and 86x version!!!

I think you have to improve description for the functions!
If you think to improve multilingual support I can provide Italian translation!!

Thanks for the update!
If I have time, I'll let you know for multi-language support (or they are people interested in participating working on it, making it open source).

OP
G

GoodBytes

Ok! Lots of reading after, this version should be good.
-> Dependency problem should be fixed, but I need people to test this.
-> You can now scale the window.
-> Program is DPI aware (doesn't scale large by default, but you can manually scale the window and everything will go big)
-> Warning about calibration not working with Wacom Feel Driver added
-> Improved descriptions of options.

Download: http://www.nvgpupro.com/surfacetweaktool/Surface_Tweak_Tool.zip
This is version 1.0.0.297

If it works for you guys, I'll update the first post with updates screen shot and put back the link. So please let me know.

Last edited: