What's new

Surface Pro worth it? Any issues? Compared to iPad Pro 12.9?

narutoninjakid

Hi guys I'm interested in this device. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and was looking to replace an old, aging iPad Air. Was looking to pick up an iPad Pro due to its large screen and compatibility with work suite when I saw the Surface Pro 4. I haven't had a windows device in this form factor but it did seem intriguing to me.

Really like that it can run full programs but I'm mainly intending to use this device for content consumption and Internet browsing. Something to bring to work and sit by my desk and use to browse reddit and to use at home for entertainment. I use Netflix and Amazon Video alot as well as YouTube. Apps any good on Windows ? When doing some research it seems the surface pro 4 has a myriad of issues from sleep and freezing bugs to repeated updates that lock up the device and mystery restarts. Was also reading the device doesn't get into deep sleep and battery drains slowly. Have you guys been getting these issues? Has Microsoft addressed the issues and were they in a timely manner. I was lookin to get this device used on Swappa or eBay so would rather not have to go through all these hoops to potentially have to use the warranty.

I know the iPad Pro is not even in the same league but you know exactly what to expect from it. The iPad Air I had is still being used today and I never had any issues with it after years of use. My Note pro running Android is reliable as well. I have it rooted and ROM's and it's stable and has good battery life. So just not sure how reliable the surface will be as a casual device running windows. Also how is battery life on your device? Acceptable?

So basically do you guys recommend the device. Or are you having to many issues with it.

Edit: Just to add I have a MSI GS70 Gaming Laptop and a X99 Gaming Build Desktop so I have a lot of power to use. I just didn't want to lug my laptop to work everyday and around for streaming and basic things .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome narutoninjakid

Regarding the SP4 problems, some have them, some don't. My SP4 has been flawless with the only issues being directly as a cause of being on the windows insider program (basically a beta program for new builds)

Given the usage case you have stated (you mention work suite but then elaborate no further and your described usage case makes no mention of anything serious or work related), I personally wouldn't really recommend the surface or the ipad pro. Any cheap tablet will be more than sufficient for your needs. I might have 3 surfaces, but I still keep my nexus tablets for when I'm in need of something purely for consumption because they're just better suited to the job (because they have been designed for no other purpose).

Exhile

An iPad doesn't have a docking station whereas the SP3 & SP4 do. You can hookup 2 monitors to the Surface Pro dock for a total of 3 monitors altogether. You could wait until the SP5 comes out next Spring.

Philtastic

Given the myriad of problems (and potential new problems as Microsoft breaks things with updates), I can't recommend the SP4 unless you really need full Windows in a portable form factor, in which case, the SP4 and maybe the Lenovo Miix 700 would fit that usage. For a media consumption device with modest productivity usage, the iPad Pro (or cheaper tablet) would be a more hassle-free and better battery life device.

jrioux

I have a Surface Pro 3 and have had absolutely no problems with it and I see no need to upgrade to the Surface Pro 4. I also have a Galaxy Tab E that I use for browsing, reading, music, videos and occasional Word documents.

After reading your post, my question was "why upgrade at all?" For your planned uses, both the Galaxy 12.2 and iPad Air should work fine. And from what you said, neither is giving you any problems.

Do you just want to spend money? Or do you need to have the shiniest new thing, if only for a nanosecond?

OP
N

narutoninjakid

Welcome narutoninjakid

Regarding the SP4 problems, some have them, some don't. My SP4 has been flawless with the only issues being directly as a cause of being on the windows insider program (basically a beta program for new builds)

Given the usage case you have stated (you mention work suite but then elaborate no further and your described usage case makes no mention of anything serious or work related), I personally wouldn't really recommend the surface or the ipad pro. Any cheap tablet will be more than sufficient for your needs. I might have 3 surfaces, but I still keep my nexus tablets for when I'm in need of something purely for consumption because they're just better suited to the job (because they have been designed for no other purpose).
Thanks for the reply. Very useful info

OP
N

narutoninjakid

I have a Surface Pro 3 and have had absolutely no problems with it and I see no need to upgrade to the Surface Pro 4. I also have a Galaxy Tab E that I use for browsing, reading, music, videos and occasional Word documents.

After reading your post, my question was "why upgrade at all?" For your planned uses, both the Galaxy 12.2 and iPad Air should work fine. And from what you said, neither is giving you any problems.

Do you just want to spend money? Or do you need to have the shiniest new thing, if only for a nanosecond?
I needed to upgrade my iPad air and the surface came up. Also I haven't been lugging my laptop to work. So if would be nice to have a light yet capable machine to use.

Afy

You cant meaningfully compare a tablet with the Surface Pro.. crApples to Oranges really.
If you need the device to be meaningfully productive, the SP is the way to go.
Else continue with the iPad.

clouds5

I was in a similar situation a while ago and I'm glad I went with the sp4. I have zero issues and it is the most versatile computer ever. The iPad is really good at one specific thing (apps) but you can't do much else.
I personally couldn't buy an iPad because you get so little for so much money! The surface is expensive too, but it also does a lot. And one little thing, that built in kickstand really is as good as they say. Especially for media consumption. It just adds to the versatility.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, if you're just sucking stuff in, go for an iPad Pro. If you're churning stuff out, go for a Surface.

Why a pro though? Whole point of the pro vs regular is it's supposedly for productivity not just consumption. And productivity in this instance can be taken with a huge gain of salt. Just get a regular ipad.

BubbaUK

Why a pro though? Whole point of the pro vs regular is it's supposedly for productivity not just consumption. And productivity in this instance can be taken with a huge gain of salt. Just get a regular ipad.
Size matters. Once youve used the 12.9" iPad, going back to 9.7" feels incredibly cramped.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk