What's new

Surface Pro 6 Battery 0% available (plugged in)

oldschool1

20190414-085.jpg

Hi All,
I've used my Surface Pro 6 almost every day for almost two years. To say that I'm happy with it would be an understatement.

This morning, I experienced Battery 0% available (plugged in). After more than two hours of reading related posts and blogs and blah blah blah, I now know how to generate a battery report. See, Battery report

"It's Dead Jim."

What should I do next?
1. Crack it open and replace the battery?
2. Have a retailer like Best Buy crack it open and replace the battery?
3. Have Microsoft crack it open and replace the battery?
4. Turn it into a desktop, permanently plugged in at my desk?
4. Read for six more hours to discover what 1024 other owners have done in this situation?

Plantje

I would contact Microsoft and ask them what a battery replacement would cost. And ask if it is not covered by warranty

OP
oldschool1

oldschool1

Thank you.
Going through the online Service route, so far it's $450.00 with a five day turnaround.
Not bad.
I also found a local source and will call them and compare turnarou d times.

OP
oldschool1

oldschool1

Whoops.
I spoke too soon .

"All Microsoft Store locations are currently closed until further notice, but you can still access our virtual workshops, trainings and products on microsoft.com, or contact us for help.

Microsoft Retail Store

Microsoft Store - King of Prussia Mall
160 N Gulph Road
King of Prussia, PA 19406-2941
Find us
located on the lower level near Nordstrom
(484) 754-7600
Store hours:
Mon - Sun: Closed"

Plantje

You at least HAD a store at some point.... Here in the Netherlands we only have phone support.
The one consistent thing of the phone support is that it is always inconsistent!

Turbo4AWD

I say get the battery replaced but only because I would try to do the replacement myself so I can upgrade the SSD in there to something like 3TB nvme. You run Apricorn EZ gig to clone the drive before opening the Surface Pro 6 up at all. Once the drive is cloned, carefully open the Surface Pro 6 and replace the battery and SSD and put it all back together then enjoy the extended life of the Surface Pro 6. If you're factoring in labor costs though, that would make me reconsider having someone else do all the work without even including the SSD upgrade....that's pretty expensive IMO

OP
oldschool1

oldschool1

I say get the battery replaced but only because I would try to do the replacement myself so I can upgrade the SSD in there to something like 3TB nvme.
I like this idea though I would NOT do the work. I'm far too afraid of snapping something important off and being stuck with a $1000.00 doorstop.
I was unaware that there were 3TB Solid State Drives available for our Surfaces. Time flies when you're having fun.

You run Apricorn EZ gig to clone the drive before opening the Surface Pro 6 up at all. Once the drive is cloned, carefully open the Surface Pro 6 and replace the battery and SSD and put it all back together then enjoy the extended life of the Surface Pro 6.
Having the old drive cloned first is a must.
I don't like vanilla PCs :)
If you're factoring in labor costs though, that would make me reconsider having someone else do all the work without even including the SSD upgrade....that's pretty expensive IMO
Labor costs?
Yes, yes, yes!
I know what ~my~ labor is worth so I DEFINATELY wouldn't mind paying a professional to do this.
Thank you.

wpcoe

Is the SSD in the SP6 easily removable? I had assumed it was a soldered-in version, but don't know why I thought that.