What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

Orlbuckeye

Well when I was shopping and looking at the Surface Pro 4 I saw the Surface Book and thought you get the keyboard, bigger screen and higher resolution for not really that much more thinking and I don't have to pay extra for a keyboard.

mva5580

And if they included the keyboard then lots of people would complain that they are being forced to buy something they don't want. I know plenty who've bought the surface only.

Which is exactly why I said they should drop the price of the SP's by $100 and not include it, or keep them the same price and include it.

Exhile

Since I can't touch-type, I hope Microsoft leaves their policy of keeping the type cover keyboard as an extra purchase.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is exactly why I said they should drop the price of the SP's by $100 and not include it, or keep them the same price and include it.

I feel the price is where it should be personally, and that is without knowing what kind of profit margin they are getting. I don't think that it is an unreasonable price for such a high end piece of equipment.

Why stop at $100? Why not take $250 off the price? Microsoft set the price where it is for a reason, and it seems to be working :) (whether I agree or disagree, it is also the case that the lower the price, the less likely an uninformed customer (which = most people) is to perceive it as a quality item. A company will often sell more by pricing something up than down)

kristalsoldier

I get that there a lot of people who buy this because they NEED it for business applications, but like it or not this thing is compared to an iPad. If they have no desire to convert iPad users to Surface Pro users (and maybe they don't, I don't know,) then that's fine. But if they do, it still needs a lot of work as a tablet. It's a laptop with an optional keyboard.

I don't mean to nitpick, but how can a laptop - by definition - have an optional keyboard? That is virtually a contradiction in terms, isn't it? But I do get the general thrust of what you are trying to convey and, in part, I am empathetic to your argument.

Of course, while it would be nice if MS did bundle the Type Cover with the device as they do the Pen, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon except maybe for specific promotions.

When product comparisons are concerned. notice one thing, the comparison (and effort to emulate) is driven by Apple (thus their Pro line of iPads). MS has never really argued for a comparison with the iPad. If I remember correctly, Panos repeatedly argued for a comparison (of the SP3/4) with a MBA. That said, many have argued - and I include myself in this group - that W8.1 was probably best suited for the tablet interface, which was changed over by MS in W10. Certainly, it made W10 less of a tablet-friendly OS. But the thing to keep in mind is MS is trying to walk a rather tight rope here. While they don't want to alienate their core users (the desktop users who most vocally voiced their problems with the W8.1 interface), they also don't want to develop and maintain two OSs (like Apple does).

Yes, the Surface (SP4) is a tablet and yes, its ecosystem is rather limited as a tablet when compared to the iPad, but the Surface is a lot more than just a tablet and a laptop. It is a very curious device which sits between the tablet and the laptop and the onus - as you have correctly pointed out - lies on MS to make our experience of the tablet and the laptop come together on the Surface platform by leveraging W10 and how it allows for the tablet and laptop experience to segue into each other.

Orlbuckeye

Ok when laptops were created tablet didn't exist also 2-in-1's didn't exist. It doesn't matter what the device is called. It's what you can do with it. MS made it available to use 3 types of input on the Surface keyboard, touch and/or mouse. The definition of these devices is crossing over and now the 2-in-one is out selling the standard laptop.

eholbik

For the Surface 5

Couple changes for the PEN ( some of these i mentioned in another post)
a. Have the option for the pen to have a cap/cover to protect the tip. ( Just like a regular pen.)
b. Have a laser pointer so the pen can be used in presentations ( instead of a separate device)
c. Have a button/roller -( like what the Microsoft arch mouse has) maybe on the top of the pen, so you can scroll up or down on a browser or application when holding the pen. This is great when on a plane or reading information on a desk-- you dont need the keyboard and don't need to lean forward to touch the screen.

Dock/Pen
Have the Surface Dock have a place/holder for the pen. It would be neat if the dock had an internal storage for the pen so you could keep your pen there when not in use at the office/home. I find myself forecefully taking the pen everywhere i go because I'm so afraid to lose it.

Sent from mTalk

polbit

My two cents:
1. Significantly improved battery life. Oh what I wouldn't give for 10 hours of use, but even honest 20% would make a difference.
2. Bring back a Touch Cover and include it with the device. On my SP2, I used it more as a screen protector. It's great for those times when you are mostly using your SP as a tablet.
3. Two USB ports, wouldn't mind type C.
4. Reduce the number of issues - make it reliable...
5. And finally cheaper, especially the higher tiers...

Honestly, I find the form factor and design to be close to perfect on the SP4. Battery life and reliability are the two big minuses.

Orlbuckeye

Well it won't be 2016 as ZD net reported today that MS will launch it's Surface "Cardinal" All-in-One computer. They say it may come in 3 size 21", 24" and 27". They stated upgrades of the older Surface models will be in 2017.

kristalsoldier

My two cents:
1. Significantly improved battery life. Oh what I wouldn't give for 10 hours of use, but even honest 20% would make a difference.
2. Bring back a Touch Cover and include it with the device. On my SP2, I used it more as a screen protector. It's great for those times when you are mostly using your SP as a tablet.
3. Two USB ports, wouldn't mind type C.
4. Reduce the number of issues - make it reliable...
5. And finally cheaper, especially the higher tiers...

Honestly, I find the form factor and design to be close to perfect on the SP4. Battery life and reliability are the two big minuses.

Yes!!! Please!!! Its high time!!!!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather not pay for a feature I don't need or want. even having a blank piece of felt etc which connects to the magnetic strip to act as a cover (like with near every other tablet on the market) then that would be great, but i don't want to inadvertently be paying for a touch cover when I've got a type cover. I doubt they would include one without there being any effect on price or the device, or the components included.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd rather not pay for a feature I don't need or want. even having a blank piece of felt etc which connects to the magnetic strip to act as a cover (like with near every other tablet on the market) then that would be great, but i don't want to inadvertently be paying for a touch cover when I've got a type cover. I doubt they would include one without there being any effect on price or the device, or the components included.
You always pay more ala cart than for the complete package. Never are you going to get anyone to breakout each component and sell them to you at the equivalent bundled price.