What's new

Surface Pro 7+ vs Surface Pro 8?

wpcoe

Other than the bigger screen and the two Thunderbolt 4 ports, what would be the selling points of a SP8 vs SP7+?

Pricewise they're the same, though I believe the SP7+ has Win10 Pro vs the SP8 having Win 11 Home, unless someone can find a page to order the Business version of the SP8?

Although the SP8 screen is nicer, 90% of the time I use my SP6 docked to an external monitor. TB4 is also nice, though I don't need it, and I would miss the USB-A port for so many of my peripherals (mouse, thumb drives, external hard drives, scanner, etc.)

Just making sure I'm not overlooking some must-have benefit of the SP8.

vsherry

I just got my Surface Pro 8. Most of my peripherals now use USB C, and I am really enjoying having two USB ports rather than one. I do, however, miss the microSD card slot, which the Surface Pro 7+ still has. I upgraded my Surface Pro 8 SSD to 1TB myself. What are you looking to get from an upgrade over your SP6? I used to have an SP5. I don't think the operating system matters since you can choose to upgrade the SP7 to Windows 11.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get Docks that have USB ports and SDCard/micro SD card slots etc. Some are very portable as well.

I just saw an announcement for the Business SP8 models... Although I can't find it at the moment... They should be coming soon.

The Business model pricing in the past was $100 over the regular model. The only other difference is it would most likely have the vPro CPU i5-1145G7 or i7-11x5G7 and they often have other configurations of RAM and Storage the consumer model doesn't.

You can easily upgrade Home to Pro by just entering a Pro Key.

OP
W

wpcoe

You can get Docks that have USB ports and SDCard/micro SD card slots etc. Some are very portable as well.
At home, no problem, but when I am travelling, a dockless/dongle-less portable is a plus.
I just saw an announcement for the Business SP8 models... Although I can't find it at the moment... They should be coming soon.
This MS Surface for Business link has SP7+ but not SP8. Leads to a page where you can actually order an SP7+ online.

This MS Surface for Business link lists SP8, but no way to order it, just linking to "where to buy" vendors like CDW and Stables who only offer SP7+, not SP8. Ditto for the other vendor links I clicked.

The Business model pricing in the past was $100 over the regular model. The only other difference is it would most likely have the vPro CPU i5-1145G7 or i7-11x5G7 and they often have other configurations of RAM and Storage the consumer model doesn't.
Ah, I had forgotten about the i7-1165G7 in SP7+ vs i7-1185G7 in SP8. Thanks for pointing that out. (I'm only interested in the i7.)

You can easily upgrade Home to Pro by just entering a Pro Key.
Yeah, that was why I mentioned that in a price comparison where the SP7+ already had a Pro license while the same-price non-Business SP8 had a Home license, effectively making the SP7+ cheaper.

OP
W

wpcoe

I just got my Surface Pro 8. Most of my peripherals now use USB C, and I am really enjoying having two USB ports rather than one.
My scanner, keyboard and mouse are USB-A, as are my (many) thumb drives and external WD My Passport external drives (plural). I do have a couple USB-C devices though, but the SP7+ has both USB-C and USB-A ports. However, the SP8 does have USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 spec'd TB4 ports, while the SP7+ has a slower USB-C port.

I do, however, miss the microSD card slot, which the Surface Pro 7+ still has.
Haven't used the microSD slot on my SP6, so thankfully that's not a factor in my decision. Sorry you lost it, though!

I upgraded my Surface Pro 8 SSD to 1TB myself.
Exactly what I plan to do with either SP7+ or SP8. Did you apply any sort of thermal tape/glue within the SSD housing that MS uses? Did you even re-use the SSD housing?

What are you looking to get from an upgrade over your SP6? I used to have an SP5. I don't think the operating system matters since you can choose to upgrade the SP7 to Windows 11.
I'm looking for a faster computer, both the CPU and SSD. I have almost 1,000 scanned family photos to retouch (in Photoshop) and supposedly the 11th gen i7 CPUs are quite a bit faster than my i7-8650U. The Iris Xe Graphics is a nice bonus, too. I will also have larger PS "Scratch Disks" with a 1TB SSD. In Photoshop, I spend too much time waiting on the SP6. Even my old i3-6320 desktop seemed faster.

Another pro SP7+ factor in my decision making: I can use the same SP6 Touch keyboard on an SP7+. The SP8 requires a new pricey keyboard.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using the SP8 since Tuesday and it is by far the best Windows 2 and 1 I've used.

Enhancements over the Pro7+
  • 120Hz Screen
  • 13" display that is the best panel I've seen on a Surface
  • New Digitizer
  • Slim Pen 2 with haptic feedback
  • 2 TB4 ports allow for further upgrades and use cases
  • Improved thermals with quiet fans, It hasn't throttled
  • Feels better while holding it and while inking

OP
W

wpcoe

• 120Hz Screen
  • New Digitizer
Thanks for the summary. Nothing on that list that I want or need, but I'm still fighting the "but it's newer!" impulse to buy the SP8. Left brain still saying: "Get the SP7+". Thinking ahead to re-sale potential, I think the SP8 wins points. My main sticking point is no USB-A on the SP8.

vsherry

The SP8 screen is one of the best I've seen on any device, not just a Surface. I had it next to my XPS17, which I cherish for its 4K screen, so I know.

vsherry

Exactly what I plan to do with either SP7+ or SP8. Did you apply any sort of thermal tape/glue within the SSD housing that MS uses? Did you even re-use the SSD housing?
I didn't apply any thermal tape or glue. I just did a clean swap.

Turbo4AWD

Thunderbolt 4 with eGPU is reason enough....however, the lack of CPU throttling when pushed to the limit probably means a LOT as well. The test I saw went up to 35watts and no throttling. The bezels being smaller are also a huge selling point over the 7 Pro +

two USB C ports instead of just one USB A port....120hz refresh rate screen...I mean there is a LOT to love, but personally for me Thunderbolt 4 support is the DEAL MAKER...

tuchas

I've been using the SP8 since Tuesday and it is by far the best Windows 2 and 1 I've used.

• 120Hz Screen
  • New Digitizer

• 120Hz Screen
  • New Digitizer
I completely agree. I thought it was kind of foolish to trade up from a 7+ but I got the itch. Overall it’s a better experience - screen, pen 2, Thunderbolt, and does feel much better to hold. I don’t regret it one bit.