What's new

Surface Pro 4 vs. newer models

ArieBos

Hello Surfacers!
I have 2 surfaces pro 4 (the most complete and expensive ones), and after 3 years, both have swollen batteries so badly, that I cannot use them any more. So I am typing this from an old clunky Dell laptop (Aaaahhhrgh...)
To be honest... I still love the surface. They are great machines, but just that bad quality battery they put in, took all the joy away.
So, can this community advise me about, if I would buy a latest model, does this problem still exist? is Pro 9 much better? is it worth the money at all?
Is he docking station still the same?
I hope you can share your knowledge and experience with me.
Many thanks,

Turbo4AWD

I have a Surface Pro 6 with zero swollen battery issues and I have owned it for at least 5 years. I wonder what is causing your Surface device batteries to swell after only 3 years everytime

Plantje

I have a Surface Pro 2017 Advanced LTE. I think for about 6 years now. No swollen battery issue here.
Only issues I have is: the wear and tear of the type cover. But I use the device a lot!
And of course the bright spots due to heat and VERY slight pressure. Had this one replaced 5 time due to that issue. Then i was out of warranty.

It seems that even ik untill and including the SP8 en SP X have that issue

OP
A

ArieBos

Yes, it starts with yellow-ish bright spots at the bottom corners. then the right top corner. then the screen comes loose in the right middle, and slowly loosens further until it bilges 3cm in the middel. very deformed images of course. . One of my Pro4's finally had it screen only fixed at the top egde, while the bottom edge hung over the keypad for more than 4 cm.
My typecover also completely worn out, but that can be replaced...

Plantje

To be honest, I hope Samsung will at some point come with a true Surface Pro competitor (again). A Galaxy Tab S9+ or even Ultra, running Windows 11 on ARM would be great!

Plantje

I've seen it. Seems to be more promise than really great stuff. Perhaps the Apple Vision Pro is the better option

Turbo4AWD

I've seen it. Seems to be more promise than really great stuff. Perhaps the Apple Vision Pro is the better option
Generation One of the Apple Vision Pro is not the better option because of the cost. You can get 85% of the functionality/features of the Apple Vision Pro out of a $500 Standalone VR headset.

Generation 2+ will be worth considering as a viable option.