What's new

Surface Book or Surface Pro 4

CrippsCorner

I will be upgrading next year so have this to think about as well... but I think what it comes down to for me is I prefer a smaller profile, so will probably opt for the Pro again.

My use case has changed slightly as I now have a newborn baby and just have to grab 5 minutes here and there on the sofa and don't get my hour or so per night to dock to my external monitor!

tuchas

Frankly (and a number of people will disagree with me on this) but the SP4 keyboard is simply one of the best keyboards out there. I have the least trouble typing on it than virtually any laptop keyboard. Along with the battery life of the SP4 (and lack thereof on the SB tablet disconnected) that kept me from moving to the SB. Perhaps I'll move to the Surface Book if they can throw a better battery into the detached screen, but even then I don't know if that will be enough. Love my SP4.

For my purposes I made the exactly opposite choice and chose the Pro 4.

I am a veteran user of ThinkPad laptops (Amongst newer machines I still have a legacy IBM T60 running Win 7 pro beautifully on a SSD). My laptops are always docked while at the office and always on a conference table or desk when at a client. I never use them on my lap. Lugging my Surface Pro 4 to meetings with a client is beautiful. It is completely functional on a desk or table and has added useful features such as the wireless display adapter. Back at the office I use my ThinkPads, now functioning more like desktops.

The added ability to have a device that I can use as a tablet that can run real apps was the deciding factor for me.

Soon I may just get a dock and use the Surface Pro 4 exclusively...

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Largely my use case though, after over ten ThinkPads including the last being a T430S w/16GB RAM and 1TB SSD, I go with the SP 4 on the road and in the office. On the road I've utilized the WiDi adapter for training sessions sitting in the front of a training room casting to the client's projector. In the office I have the SP3 port replicator, a Logitech BT keyboard, the Surface Arc mouse and a Dell U3415-W monitor. The SP4 is my daily driver home and road both.

At home I have a Belkin CushDesk and sit comfortably on the couch in my "cave" working there on the SP4.

Frankly (and a number of people will disagree with me on this) but the SP4 keyboard is simply one of the best keyboards out there. I have the least trouble typing on it than virtually any laptop keyboard. Along with the battery life of the SP4 (and lack thereof on the SB tablet disconnected) that kept me from moving to the SB. Perhaps I'll move to the Surface Book if they can throw a better battery into the detached screen, but even then I don't know if that will be enough. Love my SP4.

Agreed, night and day going from the SP3's keyboard to that of the SP4. I wish they'd make the NFL typecovers as SP4 keyboards.