What's new

Surface Pro 4 Lot Numbers

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So after 6 pages, has anyone actually analysed the data to identify significant findings, or are we all just shouting numbers out for absolutely no reason?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps a photo of the label would help deciphering this. based on your purchase date a lot number of 1528 would be reasonable and I wonder if you damaged the label when pealing back the label pasted over the lot number.
Aside from a few aberrations which there are always some the lot numbers generally follow yyww format that makes sense, you just have to filer outliers since verification is nearly impossible.

All my Surfaces have lot numbers that make sense in relation to the purchase dates.
RT 1243 (Oct 22-28) was preordered and received on release date Oct 26 2012.
SP3 1423 (June 2-8) purchased at end of June/1st of July 2014.
S3 1516 (Apr 13-19) preordered and received on release date May 5 2015.
I'm sure if I could find my Surface 2 box the lot number would be 1342 or lower (prior to Oct 22 2013).
I had SP4s with lot numbers 1542 (Oct 12-18 ) but returned them. Ordered from Amazon and shipped on release day Oct 26. The vast majority of empirical evidence corresponds with the yyww format.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So after 6 pages, has anyone actually analysed the data to identify significant findings, or are we all just shouting numbers out for absolutely no reason?
Well there's a reason although the reporting is quite a bit lower than Id hoped. having looked at problems and lot numbers reported across multiple forums (some obviously duplicated) I cant say that there's any evidence that one lot number is any better or worse than any other lot number, at least not yet. Problems seem to be more random across lots. Personally I'm waiting for Intel to issue a PCN to Skylake or Confirmation that a future Firmware Update has finally achieved the stability Id expect. If there's an Intel PCN then Id need some method to determine if the CPU is the revised level, presumably HWinfo/CPUID or other utility.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well there's a reason although the reporting is quite a bit lower than Id hoped. having looked at problems and lot numbers reported across multiple forums (some obviously duplicated) I cant say that there's any evidence that one lot number is any better or worse than any other lot number, at least not yet. Problems seem to be more random across lots. Personally I'm waiting for Intel to issue a PCN to Skylake or Confirmation that a future Firmware Update has finally achieved the stability Id expect. If there's an Intel PCN then Id need some method to determine if the CPU is the revised level, presumably HWinfo/CPUID or other utility.

That was my general opinion. I've just not seen anything substantial enough to suggest a correlation between an issue and a lot number. It is even harder to consider there being a correlation when a unit with problems can be fixed up with nothing but a reset, meaning 1 device, 1 lot number, 2 experiences.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was my general opinion. I've just not seen anything substantial enough to suggest a correlation between an issue and a lot number. It is even harder to consider there being a correlation when a unit with problems can be fixed up with nothing but a reset, meaning 1 device, 1 lot number, 2 experiences.
Yep and also some with the original lot numbers who maintain they have never had any of these issues.

I can tell you though that I had two with the same problems and did multiple resets on both with no change or reduction in problems so there's 3 experiences with the same lot number; perfect, flawed but corrected by reinstalling, and fatally flawed.

dld44

Perhaps a photo of the label would help deciphering this. based on your purchase date a lot number of 1528 would be reasonable and I wonder if you damaged the label when pealing back the label pasted over the lot number.
Aside from a few aberrations which there are always some the lot numbers generally follow yyww format that makes sense, you just have to filer outliers since verification is nearly impossible.

Here is it. As you can see, I photographed it from the back, as the original label mostly peeled off with the added Amazon label. But it clearly states "LOT NO.1428". If it isn't clear to you via this photo, it is perfectly clear to me--there is no doubt about what it states. Then, of course, there is the pre-March 15,2015 cable problem.

IMG_4201 cropped.jpg

Could it be that the 'Lot No' is actually a 'revision number'? That is, the lot number is set at a date where hardware is frozen and not changed until a hardware update is made?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is it. As you can see, I photographed it from the back, as the original label mostly peeled off with the added Amazon label. But it clearly states "LOT NO.1428". If it isn't clear to you via this photo, it is perfectly clear to me--there is no doubt about what it states. Then, of course, there is the pre-March 15,2015 cable problem.

View attachment 7988

Could it be that the 'Lot No' is actually a 'revision number'? That is, the lot number is set at a date where hardware is frozen and not changed until a hardware update is made?
No, there's no indication to support the revision theory. and there's plenty of 1429, 1430, 1431... 1444... 1522... so there's no freeze at 1428.

Last edited:

btreece

i5 256 8 lot#1541
has had to be reset 2x,
once after the v1511 update and partial rollback &
once after the Feb 12 Firmware & other updates

Edgar_BCN

i5 256 8 lot #1601, not problem at this moment, just annoying kickstand wobbling only noticeable when adjusting... Paired with Dell's Ultrasharp U2415 and Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop... Works all like expected...

sprockett

lot #1602 I7 256 8gb. Tried switching it on and setting up in store. it died halfway during setup due to no battery.

Got home and tried to continue. It did, but with lots of issues (error messages, unable to connect to windows update etc).

Did full factory reset twice, each time trying to get all updates installed.

On second reset, everything fine so far. Using with Dell p2715q, getting full 4k 60hz with my Surface 3 dock output.

kristalsoldier

Well, I just (today, a few hours back!) picked up mine - i5/ 8GB/ 256GB and the lot number reads 1604 and the model number reads 1724.