What's new

Solved Surface Pro 3 Docking Station - No sound in connected speakers

Enhanced

Greetings,

This weekend, after starting to use my docking station for the Surface Pro 3, I had sound from the speakers I had plugged in to the headphone jack on the docking station. I also had an entry for that output in the "playback devices" entry for the audio.

However, now that entry has suddenly disappeared, and the audio just goes straight to the internal Surface speakers, instead of my connected speakers. And no matter what I do I can't the playback device for the docking station back. I tried system restore to a date where it worked, removing all audio devices and restarting, and to download the audio drivers for the docking station (version 1.31.35.7) and installing them manually (right click on the *.inf file) - still no luck. It's like Windows is refusing to see that there is something connected to the docking headphone jack - no matter what kind of speakers I try to put in there.

Does anyone have any good suggestions, apart from perhaps restoring to factory settings?

OP
E

Enhanced

Now I've tried the "Refresh your Surface Pro" choice, but that did not help... I really don't want to have to do a full factory reset, but perhaps there is no other way. I'm really lost at the moment as to how I can get Windows to recognize that there is, in fact, an audio output on the docking station. Have yet to find a way to force Windows to find that playback device.

I tried to ask live chat support for Surface, but they could not suggest anything other than the refresh option - which didn't help.

OP
E

Enhanced

I eventually had the bright idea of unlugging the power on the Docking Station, and then re-dock the Surface on it. When I then booted the computer, the "Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device" was finally back. :) Can't believe I didn't attempt that before. Oh well, happy that it works again. :)

Last edited:

Svenning

I eventually had the bright idea of unlugging the power on the Docking Station, and then re-dock the Surface on it. When I then booted the computer, the "Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device" was finally back. :) Can't believe I didn't attempt that before. Oh well, happy that it works again. :)
Got the same suggestion from a MS Supporter today and it worked for me as well - nobody seems to know why ;-)

christoffer

I thought my problem was something similar, turned out it was Skype for business hogging sound after detach/attach to docking, just had to kill Skype and restart it