What's new

Surface Pro 2 1.9 CPU Lot Numbers

I can now tell you how to order a SP2 and make sure you get the new CPU.

I called the Microsoft store yesterday and they were well aware of the new CPU. I told them I wanted to order a new SP2 w/512GB & the new CPU. They said online ordering is hit or miss since they still have old stock but phone orders can call the warehouse to check/reserve a SP2 with the new CPU. They put me on hold, called the warehouse, and set me up with a SP2 w/512GB that has the new CPU.

Just wanted to pass this along,
-P

That's good info and since we're over midway into January there is no sense in settling for the older processor. I raised a question in another thread here about creaking screens as we have had 9 people with this issue and so far none of them have had the 4300u. I know that is a very small sample but maybe just maybe Microsoft made some assemble adjustments or something else rather than just replacing the processor?

I called the Microsoft store yesterday and they were well aware of the new CPU. I told them I wanted to order a new SP2 w/512GB & the new CPU. They said online ordering is hit or miss since they still have old stock but phone orders can call the warehouse to check/reserve a SP2 with the new CPU. They put me on hold, called the warehouse, and set me up with a SP2 w/512GB that has the new CPU.

-P

Just as an update to this - i called the MS Store. they promised me that all orders after Jan 10th will be the new CPU. I explained to them i ordered online on Jan 11th and got an old CPU. they put me on hold and came back and apologized and guaranteed me i would get a new CPU... they even sent me an email saying that my new order will contain the updated CPU. Let's see how this turns out - returning the old unit and did an order today for the new unit.

Sooo Checking Intel's website I see that vPro is supported for the u4300 .... Is that to say that I can remote into a surface pro with this new chip? Can someone confirm this??? I've been waiting on purchasing one and this would be a nice feature for me personally.

Are you referring to the KVM remote control application for IT helpdesks? Then I would assume it would support this, but I think the development for that stopped a year or two back. Normal remote control you have always had on any windows desktop either through RDP built in, or any 3rd party RD application.

I think he is talking more about this. Intel® vPro? Technology
He probably was, although is probably confused as he said "Is that to say that I can remote into a surface pro with this new chip?" - as mentioned, you can already remote into a surface pro (even with 4200U). VPro adds features that allow you to remotely access the device 'out of band', that's to say, while the OS is rebooting, access the BIOS settings etc. Barely useful for most users I'd say, unless you're using it as a permanent workstation (I wonder, would it even support 'KVM' over wireless...)
The big caveat here is that this would almost certainly need firmware support, which presumably MS are working on for corporates but it's no guarantee that this would come any time soon - that's probably something touted for the official Surface 3 as to state that Surface 2 supports this (on an unofficial S2.5) would be a logistic nightmare for them.
The other feature of the 4300U is VT-D, which is nigh on irrelevant for tablets/laptops where you don't have dedicated resources for virtualisation.

He probably was, although is probably confused as he said "Is that to say that I can remote into a surface pro with this new chip?" - as mentioned, you can already remote into a surface pro (even with 4200U). VPro adds features that allow you to remotely access the device 'out of band', that's to say, while the OS is rebooting, access the BIOS settings etc. Barely useful for most users I'd say, unless you're using it as a permanent workstation (I wonder, would it even support 'KVM' over wireless...)
The big caveat here is that this would almost certainly need firmware support, which presumably MS are working on for corporates but it's no guarantee that this would come any time soon - that's probably something touted for the official Surface 3 as to state that Surface 2 supports this (on an unofficial S2.5) would be a logistic nightmare for them.
The other feature of the 4300U is VT-D, which is nigh on irrelevant for tablets/laptops where you don't have dedicated resources for virtualisation.

Yeah, what he said?

-P

Thanks for the tip -- I ordered a 512gb on 1/10 (online) and got the old CPU -- after reading your post I called and said I wanted to exchange for the new one, told him he just needed to call the warehouse, which he did and verified that it was possible -- got an email with a return label and a tracking number for the new SP2. I requested overnight shipping -- but the confused person who took the order messed up and it's gone out UPS Ground, waiting until next Wednesday now :-(

Last edited:
I swapped out a lot#1348 with the 4200 for a #1350 with the 4300 cpu earlier this week...definitely an upgrade...I don't know what else they've done, but this is much better than my original...more refined...pen tracking is top notch, which was really my only issue I had with my original...all corners, hella accurate and I haven't done one calibration yet...my original was retarded when it came to accuracy near the edges and corners...I did notice that on the first night that while in power saving mode my tablet started spazzing...became unusable...luckily I saw where some one posted that warning and suggested getting out of power saving mode...and ive been surfing hard ever since...installed the 10-24-13 update this morning...don't know what it did...but no issues

Latest posts

Back