What's new

5G or bust.

William Powell

Can anyone explain to me why Microsoft released the Surface Pro 11 with a Qualcomm processor without 5G capabilities? This seems like the craziest decision they have ever made. I wanted one of these but since 5G was unavailable, I've moved on - thanks MS for a really dumb idea. Worse, I would probably have settled for a new Surface Go except that those also no longer have 5G. What the heck?!

I don't think I've ever known anyone who has used the LTE/NR capabilities in a Windows computer of any kind. Most folks use either a USB add-on card or tether off their smartphone. Why pay for two data plans when you really only need one?

5G connectivity for Copilot+ PCs is expected to be available starting in Fall 2024, so Microsoft isn't the only manufacturer that doesn't offer this technology at present. Although this could mean anything from September to December, it's just around the corner.

I don't think I've ever known anyone who has used the LTE/NR capabilities in a Windows computer of any kind. Most folks use either a USB add-on card or tether off their smartphone. Why pay for two data plans when you really only need one?
I have owned two Surface Go PCs, both with LTE. I am a marine technician working on air conditioning and generators on 30' to 70' boats. I go onto the docks where the work is and have to reference a large number of manuals and/or schematic diagrams, which I keep on my 'cloud' storage. Also often have the need to refer to the internet for other info. I have found LTE on the Go to be very useful and handy - much more so than trying to connect to various dock wifi's available (if you know the pw), or tethering. So this year came time to replace my ailing Surface Go 2 and really wanted to go with the new Pro for its larger size (weakening eyesight) and found nothing, including the Go 4, had LTE available. So finally gave up on that pipe dream and found a Surface Pro 9 like brand new w/i7 processor and 16G ram for $765. No, it didn't have LTE but I waited long enough for MS to get off the pot! Now they probably won't sell me anything for three years and I guarantee you, not even then if they don't have LTE available. MS simply lost that $2000 sale.

Back