Great post, this worked for me(sort of). To make this procedure easier after C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase deleting all files, just restart computer and the Hello app will walk you through a setup procedure. So basically after step 5 just restart your computer.Been dealing with this stupid issue for ages. Removing drivers, reinstalling drivers, OS patches and updates, etc. Nothing resolved this issue.
Until I starting digging a little deeper into other causes of this issue and finally found a solution that worked for me after everything else failed.
Solution: Reset Windows Hello Biometric Database
Hope somebody finds this useful as I struggled with this for months before I finally found a solution.
- Windows Key + R to open Run command box.
- Type services.msc to launch the Services app.
- Locate Windows Biometric Service and turn it off. (R-Click on the service and select Stop)
- After this service is turned off, go to C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase and copy this directory, like your desktop as a backup.
- Then delete all the files inside this directory.
- Go back to the Services app and restart the Windows Biometric Service. (R-Click on the service and select Start)
- This will allow you to remove your Windows Hello Face settings. Open Settings App and navigate to Accounts=>Sign-in Options=>Windows Hello Face. Click on Remove.
- Once removed, click on Set up, to reconfigure your Windows Hello Face.
- You will immediately notice that the Red Light next to the front camera comes on and you are able to use the IR camera to setup Windows Hello again.
- After, just log off and try to sign in with Windows Hello. It should work now.