What's new

Surface Go - Face Recognition function not working - After 1903

Randy Reitmeyer

After upgrading to the most recent windows 10 (1903) the face recognition stopped working. I uninstalled the camera and then reinstalled it. Even downloaded the most recent driver and installed that too, but to no avail. When trying to log in I get the "Couldn't turn on the camera. Please sign in with your pin."

Any suggestions out there?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
After upgrading to the most recent windows 10 (1903) the face recognition stopped working. I uninstalled the camera and then reinstalled it. Even downloaded the most recent driver and installed that too, but to no avail. When trying to log in I get the "Couldn't turn on the camera. Please sign in with your pin."

Any suggestions out there?
Install the cumulative update for 1903 and it should include the fix....

OP
R

Randy Reitmeyer

Install the cumulative update for 1903 and it should include the fix....
Thanks for your feedback. I installed the cumulative update and rebooted but it didn't solve the issue. I checked that the front facing camera is working. I also checked and it appears that the rear facing camera is not working.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your feedback. I installed the cumulative update and rebooted but it didn't solve the issue. I checked that the front facing camera is working. I also checked and it appears that the rear facing camera is not working.
Is your device a corporate joined or personal device? There are some Group Policies that disable Windows Hello...

OP
R

Randy Reitmeyer

Is your device a corporate joined or personal device? There are some Group Policies that disable Windows Hello...

This is a personal device. The Group Policies don't appear to be the problem. By the way, in checking again today both the front and main (rear) cameras are operational. It's almost like the Hello Face function can't find the front camera to turn it on...but it's there.

I need to add that I now see that I can't re-setup the Hello Face function because it now says "We can't find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face." Also, the system did update the camera driver automatically to Intel driver 30.15063.6.6082.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is a personal device. The Group Policies don't appear to be the problem. By the way, in checking again today both the front and main (rear) cameras are operational. It's almost like the Hello Face function can't find the front camera to turn it on...but it's there.

I need to add that I now see that I can't re-setup the Hello Face function because it now says "We can't find a camera compatible with Windows Hello Face." Also, the system did update the camera driver automatically to Intel driver 30.15063.6.6082.

I have same driver version as you, Windows Hello also uses the Biometric Driver

upload_2019-7-11_6-56-6.png

Are you missing any Firmware updates?

OP
R

Randy Reitmeyer

View attachment 9249

I do see the Biometrics Devices - "Windows Hello Face Software Device." I tried to update the driver and the system said I have the latest driver.

View attachment 9249

Yes I had the Biometric driver. So I uninstalled it and then tried to reinstall it hoping that might fix the issue. Oops, I probably will have to find a way to bring back the biometric device...hoping not to do a clean install.

OP
R

Randy Reitmeyer

I think I may have found the problem. I discovered, in the Device Manager, that the Microsoft IR Camera Front has a yellow triangle with the following error: "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10) STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE." I uninstalled the device and the driver, then reinstalled both and I get the same error. My guess is that the IR device has failed.

HEET

Been dealing with this stupid issue for ages. Removing drivers, reinstalling drivers, OS patches and updates, etc. Nothing resolved this issue.
Until I starting digging a little deeper into other causes of this issue and finally found a solution that worked for me after everything else failed.

Solution: Reset Windows Hello Biometric Database
  1. Windows Key + R to open Run command box.
  2. Type services.msc to launch the Services app.
  3. Locate Windows Biometric Service and turn it off. (R-Click on the service and select Stop)
  4. After this service is turned off, go to C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase and copy this directory, like your desktop as a backup.
  5. Then delete all the files inside this directory.
  6. Go back to the Services app and restart the Windows Biometric Service. (R-Click on the service and select Start)
  7. This will allow you to remove your Windows Hello Face settings. Open Settings App and navigate to Accounts=>Sign-in Options=>Windows Hello Face. Click on Remove.
  8. Once removed, click on Set up, to reconfigure your Windows Hello Face.
  9. You will immediately notice that the Red Light next to the front camera comes on and you are able to use the IR camera to setup Windows Hello again.
  10. After, just log off and try to sign in with Windows Hello. It should work now.
Hope somebody finds this useful as I struggled with this for months before I finally found a solution.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent, @HEET. This post will be popular with others having a problem with their Windows Hello Face functionality.