What's new

Solved Surface Book 4k Woes (Single Monitor)

M.Moore

We have a brand new Surface Book i7/16GB/1TB, surface doc and an LG27UD68P 4K monitor. We are connecting the monitor to the Dock with a Microsoft mDP to HDMI adapter. Other places I read, the HDMI should support this. So, we are going to order mDP to DP adapter and then use DP to monitor.

I will keep you updated.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We have a brand new Surface Book i7/16GB/1TB, surface doc and an LG27UD68P 4K monitor. We are connecting the monitor to the Dock with a Microsoft mDP to HDMI adapter. Other places I read, the HDMI should support this. So, we are going to order mDP to DP adapter and then use DP to monitor.

I will keep you updated.
The HDMI to mDP adapter needs to be HDMI 2.0 (4K 60Hz) compatible, not all can do this including the Official MS adapter.

Rloring

I struggled with displaying anything above 1920x1080/30 let alone 4K to my new Samsung 65" TV, even talked to staff at my local Microsoft store in the mall (no definite answer).
Best Buy said to purchase a $120 HDMI cable. The simple answer is a Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI2 Cable:
I got mine here: Amazon.com: Club3D CAC-1173 Mini DisplayPort 1.2 Cable to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter, White 3M/9.84': Computers & Accessories
Had to mess with Windows monitor setting to get 60hz.
As mentioned above, the Microsoft Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter will not support above 1080P.
Evidentially it must be an "Active Adapter" not Passive.
Hope this helps someone.

Jake3012

Will the dp do 4k@60hz or do I need the surface dock?? And will the surface dock do 4k@60hz?

P.S. sry I am a surface noob

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Will the dp do 4k@60hz or do I need the surface dock?? And will the surface dock do 4k@60hz?

P.S. sry I am a surface noob
Assuming that the cable meets the DP 1.4 standard or if using mDP to HDMI is HDMI 2.0 compliant as well as the cable...yes it will do 4K @60Hz...