What's new

Surface 4 won't wake up from sleep

Philtastic

I have tried this but cannot get a consistent wake up - when the cover is opened again I can see the backlit keys but the screen is black - hitting the power key just puts it back into sleep again ! What do you do to wake it up ?

I was reminded of this particular problem today when my SP4 apparently would not wake from sleep. Your device may actually be waking from sleep except that the lock screen is located OFF OF THE SCREEN, as in, it is way up such that you cannot see it nor is it activatable. I have had this happen mostly when I use it like a tablet, put it to sleep, connect the keyboard, and then wake it up before it goes into hibernate. One of a few tricks to get past this black screen is to hit ctrl+alt+delete which will take you to your login screen.

wynand32

My SP4 has also started failing to wake up from sleep/hibernate. It was fine for awhile, but not it's regressing. And in my case, none of the usual tricks (ctrl-alt-del, Win-P) work. I just have to shut it down.

Also, on a different note, mine has also started refusing to go to sleep when I close the Type Cover. It'll sit there for hours with the fan running full-blast.

Don't really understand how these things keep recurring. I could probably factor reset and they'd stop for a couple of weeks, but then return. That hints at a software problem, but figuring it out requires way more work than I have time for. It's all a bit frustrating.

OP
I

Iceman22

What's weird is that the sleep function work fine when the surface is connected to the power, it only fails when it's running on battery.

wynand32

What's weird is that the sleep function work fine when the surface is connected to the power, it only fails when it's running on battery.

Hmm... I'll have to check if that's the case for mine as well. I _seem_ to remember it happening when it's plugged in as well, but I'll definitely check the next time I'm using it.