What's new

Surface 4 won't wake up from sleep

Iceman22

Hello, recently bought a surface and was wondering if anyone else experiencing the problem I have.
When the surface is running on battery and i close the lid, it goes in sleep mode, but it won't wake up without using the hard reset method. If it's connected to power this problem does not occour while sleeping. But what's wierd is that if I press the power button which triggers the sleep mode, it will wake up from sleep while it's on battery. The temporary solution for me is using hibernate instead of sleep while it's on battery, it always wake up for now.
The intel graphics driver I use is dated from January 2016, when I tried newer one the surface would just freeze randomly. Cannot understand why Microsoft haven't fixed this yet?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you performed all windows updates? This is a known problem, however it has been fixed on mine for a good while now (granted i'm on the fast ring).

It has been suggested to try winkey+P a few times. In the past I found that this would happen, and if i held the power button, the "slide to shut down" would suddenly appear on the screen. When that happened, my only option was to reset.

OP
I

Iceman22

Yes all the windows updates are installed. I tried winkey+P but it does not work, and the windows hello camera isn't working either when the screen is black. I tried a full format of windows 10 not long ago, but this didn't solve the problem either. I guess I will have to contact the MS support and see if it's possible to get a replacement.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes all the windows updates are installed. I tried winkey+P but it does not work, and the windows hello camera isn't working either when the screen is black. I tried a full format of windows 10 not long ago, but this didn't solve the problem either. I guess I will have to contact the MS support and see if it's possible to get a replacement.

This is a windows issue, not a hardware issue. A replacement will likely accomplish nothing. I'd say just sign onto the insider program. My work machine is on the fast ring and they fixed this bug a long a while back. I honestly can't see a reason why I wouldn't want to be on the fast ring. Perfectly stable.

errordewin2

I have the same issue, but i am using a workarround, installing the deezer preview app fix the issue.
This is because this app creates a process that is running in sleep mode and for some reason it fix the problem.
Whit this workarround, the surface consumes a bit more battery during sleep, but i prefer this than the sleep of death.

dcoplien

I solved the problem by using to power button to put it into sleep rather than closing the keyboard cover

mark.rees

I solved the problem by using to power button to put it into sleep rather than closing the keyboard cover
I have tried this but cannot get a consistent wake up - when the cover is opened again I can see the backlit keys but the screen is black - hitting the power key just puts it back into sleep again ! What do you do to wake it up ?

mark.rees

I have the same issue, but i am using a workarround, installing the deezer preview app fix the issue.
This is because this app creates a process that is running in sleep mode and for some reason it fix the problem.
Whit this workarround, the surface consumes a bit more battery during sleep, but i prefer this than the sleep of death.
Do you also set it to hibernate after a period in sleep ?

mark.rees

I have it set to hibernate after 30 minutes. To wake, I open the lid. If the keyboard lights but not the screen, I hit Esc. Sometimes I have t hit it twice.
I had that level of success for about a day then it went back to black screen even with various key presses. How long has yours been running ok?

dcoplien

I had that level of success for about a day then it went back to black screen even with various key presses. How long has yours been running ok?
I've been using this for waking from sleep for a month or two. My only remaining big bug is severe over heating if I forget to plug the charger in before putting it to sleep and/or transporting it in my car when it's not off. It appears to connect to one of my cars computers as I find "vehicle" in the network listed as a computer.

dcoplien

Have you tried running DISM? Running that with a windows iso followed by scannow fixed many of my problems. The iso for the SP4 didn't correct the problems so I DL'd one for win 10 from Microsoft.