What's new

Surface 3... what do you want!?

LuckyL

I forgot one thing:

AVAILABILTY

when you release the thing, make it available. There are people waving money, if they do so, they usually want access to the actual goods.
If you have clever add-ons or accessories: announce these when people actually have a chance to order them. "Available Soon" or "Early 2014", which in best case is 3.5 months after launch, will not make people wait, they will take their business elsewhere instead

If you cannot provide goods in numbers, save yourself the hassle of launching pre-Christmas. Launch "Early 2014" or once your stock has actually arrived or whenever your 5 year plan allows you to stock up.

Last edited:

oion

I forgot one thing:

AVAILABILTY

when you release the thing, make it available. There are people waving money, if they do so, they usually want access to the actual goods.
If you have clever add-ons or accessories: announce these when people actually have a chance to order them. "Available Soon" or "Early 2014", which in best case is 3.5 months after launch, will not make people wait, they will take their business elsewhere instead

If you cannot provide goods in numbers, save yourself the hassle of launching pre-Christmas. Launch "Early 2014" or once your stock has actually arrived or whenever your 5 year plan allows you to stock up.

Heh, best practical "wish" for Surface 3. :p

Heavy Metal

720p front cam
1080p rare cam
I7 quad processor @3 to 3.6GHz

Separate graphics processor and memory with about 4gb to 6gb

User changeable memory

User changeable Hard Drive

Full size SD card slot sdxc no limit on size

4 usb 3.0 connectors

More screen resolution equal to or better than iPad

Wireless drive seeking

DTS sound with boost and more volume to sound

Lighter but tough
Thinner

Run cooler

Run longer on single charge full load @10 to 12 hours min

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
720p front cam
1080p rare cam
I7 quad processor @3 to 3.6GHz

Separate graphics processor and memory with about 4gb to 6gb

User changeable memory

User changeable Hard Drive

Full size SD card slot sdxc no limit on size

4 usb 3.0 connectors

More screen resolution equal to or better than iPad

Wireless drive seeking

DTS sound with boost and more volume to sound

Lighter but tough
Thinner

Run cooler

Run longer on single charge full load @10 to 12 hours min

Let's at least be realistic, you want an old school user serviceable machine running full voltage components with multiple full size ports in addition to more battery life, yet want it thinner, lighter and runs cooler?

godson594

Thinner & Lighter.
I would like a Trackpad similar to a Macbook.
More speed and a 100% Color accurate screen.
I want a better camera on front and back. 1080p 60fps recording (ha)
Slot for Stylus to slide into
Fingerprint reader on the Windows button
Leap Motion built into the bezel
---------
Don't tell me what isn't possible ;) Thread asked what I want and I answered.

SEANT

What about this:

A trackpad along the full width of the back, extending down 2/3rds from the top edge to the kick stands hinge. In the remaining space above the hinge would be two recessed buttons, a left-click button on the left side, right-click on right. Now, when holding the surface with two hands, thumbs on the bezel, the user can still drive a cursor around an App. The cursor can travel faster than 1:1, thus allowing a more extended reach than can be managed with thumbs from the front.

Modern apps tend to be designed to best utilize the reach of the thumbs. Legacy applications, though, spread the UI liberally throughout the edges.

The trackpad and buttons would need activation/deactivation for different hand postures.

Last edited:

ChemCat

What about this:

A trackpad along the full width of the back, extending down 2/3rds from the top edge to the kick stands hinge. In the remaining space above the hinge would be two recessed buttons, a left-click button on the left side, right-click on right. Now, when holding the surface with two hands, thumbs on the bezel, the user can still drive a cursor around an App. The cursor can travel faster than 1:1, thus allowing a more extended reach than can be managed with thumbs from the front.

Modern apps tend to be designed to best utilize the reach of the thumbs. Legacy applications, though, spread the UI liberally throughout the edges.

The trackpad and buttons would need activation/deactivation for different hand postures.

This idea has already been implemented by a company called notion ink in their much debated device the Adam.

SEANT

Interesting. Not surprising, given the natural way tablets prefer to be held. TBH, I did not envision that as a good fit for the Surface Pro, necessarily; some OEM may have found the concept viable enough.

Apparently, one manufacturer already had. Unfortunately, I had not previously heard about them so the concept must not have been much of a hit.

Last edited:
OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Do you mean similar to the most recent Vita? I was hoping they'd implement something like this on the latest iPhone... sounds like a good idea either way :)

SEANT

Damn, that one too. That back-side input idea is practically all played out.

Actually, it probably does have advantages in those extremely mobile data collection endeavors.

ChemCat

Interesting. Not surprising, given the natural way tablets prefers to be held. TBH, I did not envision that as a good fit for the Surface Pro, necessarily; some OEM may have found the concept viable enough.

Apparently, one manufacturer already had. Unfortunately, I had not previously heard about them so the concept must not have been much of a hit.

Try to use your imagination. Why would anyone prefer to use a trackpad underneath a device where they cannot see? especially when the screen is a touchscreen?

This is even worse than people who insist on running legacy apps on a 10 inch screen.

SEANT

This is even worse than people who insist on running legacy apps on a 10 inch screen.

Actually, I think that is the point. Say there were critical legacy apps that needed to be run in the field: How could they be run on 10” (or even smaller) screens? With screens that small an index finger tip is the size of several icons. If the tablet devotes area on the front for some type of track pad facsimile (see here), the screen becomes even smaller. Meanwhile, the back of the devise is underutilized during two handed operation.

. . . . Why would anyone prefer to use a trackpad underneath a device where they cannot see? . . . .

A user wouldn’t need to watch their fingers on a back mounted track pad; the cursor moving across the screen would provide the visual feedback.