What's new

Surface 3 - Mini Display Port Crash

OP
F

frielster

So latest from surface support is that they cannot help me until I have tried the official adaptor, have purchased one of these today and will test next week. Will update this thread then.

OP
F

frielster

OK, so have been using the official mini display port adaptor for a couple of days now and today whilst working in office apps the crash happened again, have tweeted surface support and await their update. S3 has all recent updates applied too.

s237

OK, so have been using the official mini display port adaptor for a couple of days now and today whilst working in office apps the crash happened again, have tweeted surface support and await their update. S3 has all recent updates applied too.

Thanks for posting back. This is really frustrating!!! The crash is still happening intermittently with the Surface 3 and again the only fix is to reboot.

OP
F

frielster

Product is not fit for day to day use when your day to day business involves presenting to clients via external VGA/Digital sources. Have returned the S3, dock, keyboard and pen to the retailer. Going back to my Apple.

Nice try Microsoft but no Cigar.

leighb

Similar problem here. External 27" monitor via docking station. When I have certain applications open, moving the mouse to the left hand border of the screen can make screen flicker and then eventually crash - white screen. 100% reproducible in 5 seconds. Only resolved by restart OR using surface keyboard open/close to sleep the device and reawaken it. The offending apps are Outlook, only with a full screen email message form open, Word and Excel. But not Powerpoint, OneNote or anything else in MS Office. Both Office 2013 and 2016. No other applications crash the monitor (tried with Skype, Notepad, Chrome, Acrobat, etc.). Tried different monitors, etc - still crashes. Its driving me nuts. Any suggestions appreciated.

By the way, I tried to upload a video of this happening, but the site doesnt allow mp4 attachments ...

DLCPhoto

I don't have any solution for those who are having problems, but am posting to report that this is not an inherent problem with the Surface 3.

I recently used mine to watch the US Women's Soccer match, and it functioned fine for the full 2 hour game. I was using this StarTech adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00310EEO4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I used an HDMI cable that I had purchased a while back from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

It was plugged into a Panasonic TV.

And for better performance, I also used a direct ethernet connection from the Router using this Anker USB 3.0 Hub/adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGV7I9Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

For what it's worth.

Kriton

I can assure you it is an inherent surface 3 problem and maybe the 2nd biggest issues I have with my surface (biggest being the charging). I've tried different adapters. The problem is there. It does in depend on what applications you are using, but it a Surface 3 problem as the same software behaves great on regular win8 laptops.

I believe there is sth seriously wrong with all the ports in surface 3. And I hope it's drivers and not hardware that is the problem.

DLCPhoto

I can assure you it is an inherent surface 3 problem and maybe the 2nd biggest issues I have with my surface (biggest being the charging). I've tried different adapters. The problem is there. It does in depend on what applications you are using, but it a Surface 3 problem as the same software behaves great on regular win8 laptops.

I believe there is sth seriously wrong with all the ports in surface 3. And I hope it's drivers and not hardware that is the problem.

Again, I'm sorry you're having problems, and I don't mean to minimize yours, or others.

My point in posting is to document that this doesn't affect all Surface 3's. If it were an 'inherent' problem, then everybody would experience this problem. How common this problem is percentage-wise, and where the problem originates (hardware, firmware, software, drivers, etc.) is pretty much impossible to know at this stage of the game.

I posted not to minimize your difficulties, but to let others know, who are considering purchasing the Surface 3, that this problem is not present for all Surface 3 users, and also to link to the accessories I'm using that seem to work as they should.

I do believe it's probably something about the INTEL drivers, because even though I've not had that particular issue, I have had issues with my screen flickering and occasionally going completely black.... but usually only happens if I'm using the Edge browser.

Have you guys considered going to Device Manager and seeing if the problem persists with the Basic Microsoft Display Driver instead of the Intel Driver?