What's new

SP4 Type Cover arrived - does not work with SP3 Docking Station

JeffGr

I'm on insider and I got it. They don't roll out to everyone all at once.

Ok, thanks. I was kind of hoping they had skipped the staged roll out with the new accessories likely to be delivered to a lot of Surface Pro 3 owners today, but I guess not. For some reason, it always seems to take a really long time for mine to get the SP3 updates.

Fortunately, I discovered that the driver is available on Microsoft's Update Catalog site. If you go to Microsoft Update Catalog (this only works in IE) and then search for "Surface", the driver is currently the top search result. I was able to quickly get the fingerprint up and running after downloading and manually installing the driver.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a shame the reader doesn't work in 8.1, Fingerprint readers have been around and working since I don't know when... I have used one on my W7 laptop for years... but I suppose they figure 8.1 wont be around long and nobody uses it anyway :)

zhenya

Yeah, seems a bit silly not to support it in Windows 8 when that version supports other fingerprint readers just fine...

I have a new SP4 type cover with fingerprint reader, for my SP3.

The good:
- Fingerprint reader is FAST and was very easy to set up using Settings, Account, ...
- Backlighting seems to be improved. More evenly lit.
- Key action feels wonderful.
- Volume buttons, finally.
- Fits screen of SP3 just fine

The bad but not very bad:
- The extra fold magnet does not work well with the SP3, perhaps because it is a bit too long (left to right, similar complaint to docking station post, above). Must use keyboard flat.

I don't see setup for the fingerprint reader in Settings > Account? Think I saw a post somewhere that I need a firmware update.

Magnet on my SP4 keyboard with the SP3 is fine, no problems. Will test the SP3 w/SP4 keyboard on the port replicator when I get back to the office at the end of this week.

mtalinm

So I tried using the new type cover with my Dock. It is so good that I don't think I need an external keyboard any longer!

It's true that it won't snap up against the tablet when in the dock, but I think that's due to the Dock covering part of the tablet. Did this work with SP3 keyboard? Not sure why I would want to snap the keyboard unless I had to, anyway.

otherminds

The good:
- Fingerprint reader is FAST and was very easy to set up using Settings, Account, ...

- The extra fold magnet does not work well with the SP3, perhaps because it is a bit too long (left to right, similar complaint to docking station post, above). Must use keyboard flat.

You definitely do not have to use the keyboard flat. Maybe your magnet is screwy.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You definitely do not have to use the keyboard flat. Maybe your magnet is screwy.

I only have to use it flat because I have a case which does not allow the keyboard magnet outer edges to lie flat on the glass.
I do not fault the keyboard at all.

The keyboard is fine.

dstrauss

I've been using the Type Cover with fingerprint reader now for three days - some important observations on mine (which may lead some of you to ask for a replacement):
  • Fingerprint reader is phenomenal - very accurate and fast (almost as fast as my iPhone 6s Plus)
  • Magnetic strip attaches solidly and stays attached
  • Works fine in original dock (but I upgraded to mobile dock anyway)
  • Typing experience is good as all but the best laptop/ultrabook keyboards (I feel the Thinkpad, HP x360, and MacBook) - in fact, I am considering just using it full time instead of my Logitech keyboard - it is that good

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I compared my SP4 keyboard to my SP3 keyboard (hold them back to back) and I don't see why there should be an issue. The OPs original picture is misleading as there's no difference in the cutout dimensions. The width of the strip that attaches to the screen is slightly narrower since the SP4 screen is 12.3 vs 12 otherwise the flex and attaching part is the same.

Aside: One thing I do nor recall anyone mentioning is the keyboard itself not the cover is wider. In fact it's as wide as my Microsoft Full Size Keyboard. This is no longer a compressed smaller keyboard, it's full size. Better? DUH?

zhenya

I compared my SP4 keyboard to my SP3 keyboard (hold them back to back) and I don't see why there should be an issue. The OPs original picture is misleading as there's no difference in the cutout dimensions. The width of the strip that attaches to the screen is slightly narrower since the SP4 screen is 12.3 vs 12 otherwise the flex and attaching part is the same.

There's nothing misleading about it. The typecover 3 snaps into position in the dock, the new one doesn't. The difference seems to be that the new one is extremely rigid and wants to attach right at the same level as the dock catches. The old one was magnetically connected to the Surface a bit higher, and had some flexibility which allowed it to form around those catches and still snap into place.

Joe Torres

The good:

- The extra fold magnet does not work well with my SP3 in its Ultra Armor Gear case, because the keyboard is a bit too long (left to right, similar complaint to docking station post, above). Must use keyboard flat, unless I remove the case. The lip of the UAG case rises up above the glass just enough to keep the magnet from being able to touch flush with the glass.

Seriously?! Dang it..i was have the sp3 pro and don't want to fully upgrade, i just want new keyboard and new pen. But I count on the magnetic hinge.