What's new

Advice on saving pen battery

heyyou

Hey guys. I heard from a lot of sources that the AAAA battery in the SP3 pen is able to last for a very long time, though I forgot approximately how long. But I'm still usually a stickler for saving battery life, and I'd like to ask for advice about that.

I was told that the pen turns itself off whenever it's not used to about a minute, and turns itself back on when you press it on the screen. But I find this hard to be true because the battery is needed to be detected by the computer screen, and even if you leave the pen for a good while, the pen will still be detected on the screen if you put it near the screen.

Would it help save battery life if I kept the pen open whenever I'm not using the computer? Because whenever I'm not using the computer, I do keep the pen open.

Or would the pen be completely shut off whenever the computer itself is off, and that I don't have to open the pen at that time? Just how unecessary is it to open the pen, and how much/little difference does it make?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two pens, one battery has gone, the other is still going well. So roughly 4 months per battery. Given the cost of a AAAA battery, near nothing, i really think you just need to take a deep breath, and, let it go. This isn't like trying to prolong the life of a non-replaceable battery, it's a cheap as chips disposable battery, just buy a 2-pack off amazon for a couple of dollars and you're set for a year.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two pens, one battery has gone, the other is still going well. So roughly 4 months per battery. Given the cost of a AAAA battery, near nothing, i really think you just need to take a deep breath, and, let it go. This isn't like trying to prolong the life of a non-replaceable battery, it's a cheap as chips disposable battery, just buy a 2-pack off amazon for a couple of dollars and you're set for a year.
I think id replace it once a year whether it needs it or not as aged batteries do leak. How long it will last depends on how much you use it, mine hasn't run out of ink yet. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think id replace it once a year whether it needs it or not as aged batteries do leak. How long it will last depends on how much you use it, mine hasn't run out of ink yet. :)

Oh, i meant that if you bought a 2 pack of batteries, plus the one included, then given my own experience, that would be 3 x 4 months so a year of use for about $2. I just bought a gel pen that cost more than 2 batteries and after 2 weeks of exam revision and 2 exams it's already run out :D

Simply put, i do not see battery saving for the pen as something that anyone should be in any way concerned about.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, i meant that if you bought a 2 pack of batteries, plus the one included, then given my own experience, that would be 3 x 4 months so a year of use for about $2. I just bought a gel pen that cost more than 2 batteries and after 2 weeks of exam revision and 2 exams it's already run out :D

Simply put, i do not see battery saving for the pen as something that anyone should be in any way concerned about.
Agreed. I wasn't countering your point.

As for how it shuts off or turns on I don't really know but there are a number of techniques which would be quite effective. My Garmin Swim watch turns on when you move it and the battery lasts a year but its said the pen comes on when the tip nears the screen. So that may be a very effective technique and probably not simply capacitive but a capacitive signature only the screen produces.

I guess we could have an iFixIT like teardown and put a meter in the circuit to see when it goes off and on or just install a mechanical switch so you can turn it on/off yourself. Perhaps a capacitive switch that detects you holding it to come on when you pick it up. It would be a purely technology exercise for the sake of the technology unless perhaps we were trying to make a pen last for the duration of the trip to Mars. :D

Thellaick

Hello all, i would say most of the battery will last about the same, whenever y buy a expenciev one you will pay a double price and it will last about double time longer, so you make a conclusion what kind of battery you will get! the same thing goes with nearly anything... even with medicines (although many people decide to pay a lot more....), I instead use Biotropin and I don't need anti anxiety meds which are much more expensive... but anyway, seem I go offtopic here.

Last edited: