What's new

So what is the 'NEW' Surface device that will be announced

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A big reason is that AIO machines have a trendy and cool vibe to them. There is no denying they're great at launch, but quickly become obsolete. Only way I'd ever buy one is if it can be used as an AIO, or just a regular screen if it pleases you. It's bad enough something cheap becoming obsolete, but with the studio you have paid a serious chunk on the money on the screen, which is tied into (let's face it) fairly average hardware. I imagine if that screen was sold separately then every graphic designed in the business would probably consider one. I don't know sales figures, but I imagine the studio is not that hot a seller.
I do think AIOs should be upgradeable & repairable. i.e. You should be able to easily change the disk drive and add memory. Ideally, change the wifi adapter. Maybe plug in or attach a GPU upgrade or expansion (used with existing GPU resources).

kojack

hopfully a new surface 10" device to replace the surface 3, but with horsepower, and a surface studio monitor. PLEASE. I would be getting all of the above then!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A big reason is that AIO machines have a trendy and cool vibe to them. There is no denying they're great at launch, but quickly become obsolete. Only way I'd ever buy one is if it can be used as an AIO, or just a regular screen if it pleases you. It's bad enough something cheap becoming obsolete, but with the studio you have paid a serious chunk on the money on the screen, which is tied into (let's face it) fairly average hardware. I imagine if that screen was sold separately then every graphic designed in the business would probably consider one. I don't know sales figures, but I imagine the studio is not that hot a seller.
It never was designed to be - it is targeted a specific demographic. AiO machines are designed with a 3 year shelf life, the Surface Studio biggest issue was that it was delayed by 10 months originally...