What's new

Slow Wi-Fi Download Speeds, but Upload Speeds OK?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you will likely want OneDrive back, but not until you've tested your connection. Excellent service IMO.

OP
S

sloppyseconded

I seem to have found at least part of the problem. Continuing to Google and troubleshoot, I came across a recommendation that was borne of the Creators update. Someone recommended to run PowerShell as an admin and disable the receive segment coalescing (RSC). I used this command:
Disable-NetAdapterRSC -Name Wi-Fi

And voila - my speed test downloads went from 3 to 70 Mbps. Then I rebooted and used the same command except with 'enable' and it immediately went back to embarrassing speeds. I rebooted and toggled two more times to make sure everything else remained constant, and it did. This is definitely a MAJOR component of my issue, and it's got to be trickling down from Microsoft because it's definitely not anything I have changed manually prior to now. Even with RSC disabled, my Surface Pro barely reaches half the download bandwidth of my XPS 9370 (Windows 10) and my Latitude E7440 (Windows 7) using the same network.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, good work. “Physician, heal thyself.”

It could be that the corporate server your VPN account is on has some excess latency due to how it handles packets.

Could you try to login to your local account only, and access the Web /WiFi without VPN. That should prove the problem not to be yours.

OP
S

sloppyseconded

As you requested, I created a local account under my administrator account, rebooted, and logged in as that local user. It did not have any affect on the download speed/bandwidth, either via wi-fi or over ethernet.

I still don't understand why my Surface Pro download is only half of my much older XPS's. I just got a new Linksys modem for my home today. XPS speed test results - 155 Mbps. Immediately then tested the MSP6 - same service provider, same wi-fi network, same band, same channel - 68 Mbps. Less than half...

OP
S

sloppyseconded

Same. I'd racked my brain for days on days before even posting. I usually try to figure it out myself, but I'm all out of ideas (and time). 70 Mbps is tolerable, it's just much tougher than it would otherwise be if I didn't know definitively that my internet connection is capable of so much more. I frequently work remotely and from the road, so ability to access and download files from my company's various network drives is crucial. I really don't want to go back to the E7440, the battery life is abysmal.

shuetyang

i have the exactly same problem. internet speed i get from my SP is less than half than on other devices connected to the same WiFi
any follow up on this?

Ed Eldridge

So I have a client with 2 Surface Pro 4 both having this issue. I have tried taking the driver back to 2018 driver instead of 2019. Same issue. Tried on 3 networks as well as client tried on 2 different networks. Max speed test I have saw was 100 from speedtest.net but very none reliably. Other devices pull 200 on the same network. Any ideas. Seems like a ton of chatter online about the same issue. I did try a external usb wifi adapter but it was even worse.

Turbo4AWD

I occasionally experience this issue and either power off the wifi on my Surface Pro 6 for 30 seconds, then power it back on and tests go back to normal or I just reboot and it's resolved. I wonder if it's a power management issue. Regardless, I have noticed this and thought that maybe one of the firmware updates would have resolved this issue.

Ed Eldridge

This is not just occasional it happens pretty much constantly. Rebooting does not resolve. 2 Surface Pro 4 Units exact same issue. Speed tests barely hit 30 when a laptop right next to them hits 200. Seriously a expensive paperweight unless I find a solution.

sk3els

Hi, has anyone found a solution to this? It is happening with nearly ever Surface device my organization has.. SP3, SP5, SP6...

Doing a speed test, it's like it'll work fine the first time (and by fine, I mean ~30Mbps), and then the 2nd test will hit ~15Mbps and every consecutive test with be <2Mbps download.... upload stays consistent.

Really hoping someone has a solution.

ScottyS

Hi, has anyone found a solution to this? It is happening with nearly ever Surface device my organization has.. SP3, SP5, SP6...

Get a SP7.
I know this wont help your organization with a lot of Surfaces, but I had a SP3 and upped my Internet speed to 200Mbps but I just never got that. I even had the ISP come out to my home to check the connection from the telephone pole to my house. Then i got the SP7 and bang! I'm getting over 200Mbps most of the time.
Microsoft finally did away with Marvel and switched to Intel WiFi 6.