What's new

Serious complaint SP4/Win 10 Security

OP
A

Aussieeek6342

There's no such option apparently to take ownership? Speaking of Ownership issues I've spent the past 3 hours on the phone with MS Office support, surface support, answer desk, all keep transferring the call. Not getting anywhere.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There's no such option apparently to take ownership? Speaking of Ownership issues I've spent the past 3 hours on the phone with MS Office support, surface support, answer desk, all keep transferring the call. Not getting anywhere.
Are the files on a USB Disk Drive or Flash Drive?

Dirty Surface

Welcome to the forum

Nobody provides any guarantee against data loss, pretty much for any reason. Data loss is not Microsoft's responsibility.

I know of several people who have purchased dozens SP4s since October and none have had to return one, yet.
As for the battery life, almost nobody on any phone or laptop or 2 in 1 gets what the manufacturer claims. A few people can but it takes using it close to the same way the manufacturer did and highly tuned and adjusted. I typically get >5 hours but have reached close to 8 several times.

With all that said. when you copy files from internal storage to external storage it should have been decrypted.

Leeshor,

The issue here is that Surface devices get encrypted automatically when you log into a microsoft account, without informing the user, and in some cases making recovery of the bitlocked device either very difficult or impossible.

There should be a health warning to backup the entire device to an unencrypted volume on a regular basis, and clear instructions on how an encrypted surface SSD can be recovered in all reasonable scenarios, including device failure where the SSD is not accesible via normal means.

Microsoft may indemnify themselves from data liability, but they do manufacture the device, the drivers and the OS, so they do have significant responsibility for the platform where we choose to store our valuble data.

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Leeshor,

The issue here is that Surface devices get encrypted automatically when you log into a microsoft account, without informing the user, and in some cases making recovery of the bitlocked device either very difficult or impossible.

There should be a health warning to backup the entire device to an unencrypted volume on a regular basis, and clear instructions on how an encrypted surface SSD can be recovered in all reasonable scenarios, including device failure where the SSD is not accesible via normal means.

Microsoft may indemnify themselves from data liability, but they do manufacture the device, the drivers and the OS, so they do have significant responsibility for the platform where we choose to store our valuble data.

Thanks
The disk is encrypted, not the individual files (i.e. as stated above if they are moved to a non-bitlockered external device they are no longer encrypted.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If this device is subject company device management policies there could be policy enforced file encryption.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If this device is subject company device management policies there could be policy enforced file encryption.
But that is EFS and completely separate, and unless the USB is formatted NTFS it again becomes unencrypted...

OP
A

Aussieeek6342

Something's afoot as if you copy any data to a non-bitlockered external device the data isn't encrypted, can you grab a screenshot of the error?
Here's the screenshot of the error when I attempt to open one of the files. There are files on the USB which open, but not the files which were originally encrypted.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the screenshot of the error when I attempt to open one of the files. There are files on the USB which open, but not the files which were originally encrypted.
Try to copying the files to your new Surface using Windows Explorer....you're getting the error message while trying to open from Word.