What's new

Resolutions - Destroying my eyesight!

OP
C

Clarky

I have the scaling set to 150%, but it only ever seems to affect the GUI unless the 'app' specificly supports it. Which I think narrows it down only 'apps' in the store. Which means its basically as useless as an RT.

I can't believe there isn't a smaller resolution to the correct ratio.

OP
C

Clarky

Defeats the object of the '4k' high dpi screen. But if I could set the resolution to 1440*960 my problems would be solved.

But the resolution available is 1440*900.

Maybe time to hit the regedit and figure out a custom resolution.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using for Console Tasks? If you are using the Standard CMD Prompt try this....

upload_2014-9-12_8-55-20.png

upload_2014-9-12_8-57-23.png

If you are using the PowerShell UI it allows for even larger fonts using the same as above. If you are using another APP for Consoling see if there is a MUI Version that scales effectively.

The problem that most people are struggling with is most ISVs never adopted the Vista UI Scaling and kept using the XP GDI Scaling (Including Google, Adobe, etc.)

Antitoon

Clarky, just to be sure, are you aware that there are two different scaling settings? One is found in Metro and I believe it only affects Metro, the other in the desktop control panel.

OP
C

Clarky

Thanks for the clarification, I actually have only been using the scaling in the desktop control panel. As I don't use metro at all, everything I do is in desktop mode.

But thanks :)

And thanks jnjroach. Does resolve the problem, but a pain to have to find solutions for everything program I use.

Andrea

Until I found out about the Windows 8 magnifier function (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/use-magnifier-see-items), I was going crazy trying to read things on my SP3 like the Adobe Creative Cloud window.

I use the magnifier all the time now. It works great and it's fast. There are no display settings to change.

The default size of the magnifier window and zoom level can be adjusted. I turn it on and off instantly by pressing the center wheel of a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse. But it can also work without a mouse.

surfdock

Clarky,

Another option is this tweak I came up with to set the resolution exactly 1/4 of the native res, so in essence its 200% scaling without any of the desktop scaling problems you see. Try this option and let me know what you think:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...on-with-surface-pro-3-dpi-scaling-tweaks.aspx

With this approach you can add any custom resolution without using some 3rd-party tool. Its all built into the Intel Graphics driver.

Last edited: