What's new

Resolutions - Destroying my eyesight!

Clarky

Hi all,

I recently invested in a Surface Pro 3. Fantastic piece of kit.

But this resolution is really hurting my eyes and I'm struggling to focus.

The issue I have is, the scaling is fine which fixes the general GUI, but software and such doesn't scale nor do web pages etc.

Is there a smaller resolution that fits the Pro 3 screen properly rather than 2160*1440.

Cleartype also isn't helping.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

OP
C

Clarky

Well, IE for example. The webpages are clearly being displayed in the full 2160*1440 resolution. As if its wrapped in an enlarged GUI if that makes sense?

ynohtna

Actually he's right, I do the zoom myself in IE... but if you tell IE 100%... it should be 100% of what your screen scaling is. If you look at my screen of IE at 100% zoom and my control panel, they should be the same size!

I'm only doing 125% scaling currently

ie11-100percentvsControlPanel.PNG

malberttoo

Hi all,

I recently invested in a Surface Pro 3. Fantastic piece of kit.

But this resolution is really hurting my eyes and I'm struggling to focus.

The issue I have is, the scaling is fine which fixes the general GUI, but software and such doesn't scale nor do web pages etc.

Is there a smaller resolution that fits the Pro 3 screen properly rather than 2160*1440.

Cleartype also isn't helping.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

Try using Modern IE. Basically, almost all Modern apps will scale well. All bets are off for desktop apps.

FlySwatter

But no add-on support for Modern IE right? Last Pass for instance is not an option for the Metro version, correct?

annabanana

I don't have a problem with seeing IE in desktop or MUI, what kills my eyes are the Windows dialogue boxes and there doesn't seem to be a way to make them larger. I've read its not recommend to change the device resolution but I don't know why... Screen clipping added
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
OP
C

Clarky

It's just to large a resolution for the screen. It kind of defeats the object of having a super HD resolution and then scaling everything.

If there was a smaller resolution with the correct ratio (16:10 or whatever it is) then this would make things so much easier.

Or an option to just scale everything.

The worst thing is I do a lot of command line work and SSH/remote access work. And it messes with all of that entirely.

ruinah

The worst thing is I do a lot of command line work and SSH/remote access work. And it messes with all of that entirely.

This drives me nuts. Putty is so small I can hardly read anything unless I scale it again which requires a logout which means closing change management and all other windows.