What's new

Recommend me a monitor with no scaling issues

logger

I am looking to switch out 2 x Dell U2414H 1920 x 1080 connected to the surface dock for single larger higher resolution monitor. Current arrangement works - but continuously having to log in/out to get the external monitors to scale to 100% when docking and putting up with scaling and slight loss of sharpness on the SP3 when docked is annoying.

I am on Windows 10 and I need the SP3 to run at 150% so my 50 year old eyes can see it. I want to avoid any of the scaling annoyances I am currently putting up with. Ideally something larger than 30" and maybe curved. Needs to be something that I can dock and it will look great without any fiddling.

So what should I be looking for when choosing a single large external monitor?

agt499

Given my experience with the same monitor compliment as yours (ie need to log out to get correct display), I think the only way that you might avoid this with the current windows 10 capabilities would be if the monitor you selected met your preferences while also at 150%.
If you get a 4K at the right size, this might work out ok.

Otherwise I think that any time there are any displays at anything other than 150% you will need a logout to fix (unless MS manage to really fix, which is likely very hard and not a priority)

OP
L

logger

Interesting points. I was looking at Ultra Wide 34" displays at 3,440 x 1,440. Was thinking they look big and sharp. But they are not 4K which I now read needs to be > 3840x2160. Good points about the scaling. So a big screen at 4k scaled to 150% same as SP3 has a good chance of looking good. But the lower res UW at 3440 might look odd scaled up.
Will see if I can find some monitors at local store and plug them in and test.

agt499

Yes, plug in and test is the only way to go.
I should clarify that my theory about having all displays 150% possibly alleviating the logout issue is absolutely just a theory.
You could of course test the theory by setting your present monitors to 150%, then testing if the display avoids the various quirks on docking.
Even though it's going to be bigger than you want, you should see if it improves consistency and blurriness, or if my theory is just wishful thinking.

OP
L

logger

I tested it in a shop with the 34" LG 34UC87C IPS LED Monitor, 3440x1440 and it seemed to work well with no obvious scaling issues. Tried with and without the docking station. No need to log in or out as I normally do and no need for the SP3 to run at lower than max res.
I like the ultra wide format on my desk as the aspect ratio allows the second screen to sit behind and above the dock without it being to tall. Plenty of room for multiple windows.

Am leaning to the Samsung S34E790C though at the moment. Same size and res but VA not IPS.

One difference I noticed is how this external monitor defaulted to being the home screen pinching the status bar from the SP3. Whereas my existing setup with 2 x Full def screens retains the SP3 as the home screen. Salesman told me this is because Win10 defaults to making the highest resolution screen the home screen. Is this correct?

VqpH5aRKILugGxVagSxKiH2Cqu0crMbgNJk7HD9NNpVSsD3aiMprWpsThIr0wgG3gHzTy2ALfJF3WOKlBDFmZ7ktTtXYopZmLVxU46tYojkbo09tZ_CnAGutjhxu9fm1KweZaZ0n8kM3Xp6T9_8UviykTyz2EmKI-cRrECzFwAP_ufxeOl9p07TEZp28F-J_IRg_u6FK1Y8WwA6DxEO705MqVBbFiiL_b9GNYhkv58OdOKp5y_hQRKWw8QCjp3jD2U_a3ByFL-TU61AU7YVtCI5L6xW0n0NVjojN30yvlDd79--sndWdX6NG-gAmGfAE9du_7-Bs1vIFBXUa4eBC9Sj-V65m74cU3OH8hy97IBUqkmVumWrCW_c4JdSEHTmOuEXJLBzj1HW73pwJ7t-1lSzH08lBD2NpL05x_7TzpERMw7Kx8lCJO86gtxRdFbMY_gHDn5LWFb12beSxwesz_pygBJeowYpzqTsnfiToIy0HkALP3lEhpSjNo-5OJOTtjzM1JXPWIA3vN8q7-OMU8cHZa68ZKCBGrtyOU9Pmz3ngmG91nkO6QTHtj1G42vr_wv3riTjYwNMoyxbQsaMfvWBm0jY=w1114-h835-no

agt499

Great to hear that you found something that works well - are you running the Samsung at 150% too?
Re the status bar, If you go to the display settings (I usually just right-click on the desktop), you should be able to select any monitor and tick the box toward the bottom for the screen for 'Make this my main display', which I think controls where the status bar lives. Win10 seems really good at remembering preferences for different hardware layouts.

OP
L

logger

Great to hear that you found something that works well - are you running the Samsung at 150% too?.

I cant recall as I no longer have the ultra wide screen in front of me. But I just did some mental scaling of the Excel windows in the screen shot on display and it would seem I must have had the external monitor at 100%. Otherwise it could not have so easily fit the three windows laterally. What I do know was docking and undocking just kept everything sharp as on both monitors. Will try and buy the Samsung in the next few days and will report back. I am counting on it working as well as the LG because it is identical resolution.

I am looking to switch out 2 x Dell U2414H 1920 x 1080 connected to the surface dock for single larger higher resolution monitor. Current arrangement works - but continuously having to log in/out to get the external monitors to scale to 100% when docking and putting up with scaling and slight loss of sharpness on the SP3 when docked is annoying.

I am on Windows 10 and I need the SP3 to run at 150% so my 50 year old eyes can see it. I want to avoid any of the scaling annoyances I am currently putting up with. Ideally something larger than 30" and maybe curved. Needs to be something that I can dock and it will look great without any fiddling.

So what should I be looking for when choosing a single large external monitor?

I've ran all of an AOC Q2963PM (2560x1080), LG 34UM94-P (3440x1440), Dell U3415-W (3440x1440) and Asus PB287Q (3840x2160) with no scaling problems whatsoever and forget which Windows 10 FBL that the undocking, docking problem went away. 4K UHD @ 60Hz on some monitors is problematic dependent upon cable (can only usually do over miniDP > DP with a 1.2 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 enabled in OSD on the monitor).

Given your statements about age and eyes I'd tell you to go with the Dell U3415-W if you have the desk space. IPS panel, curved, not too pricey for the size, lots of real estate.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I pretty much find that as long as my monitor supports DisplayPort I have 0 scaling issues....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I come back to the How many screens can I connect? portion of this page for reference repeatedly -
Connect Surface to a TV, monitor, or projector.

It gets garbled the more you search and read on MST versus SST, active and passive cables, using or not using a port replicator (and which one), DisplayPort 1.1 versus 1.2, etc.
I guess I should be more specific, I buy active cables and all of monitors are DP 1.2....