What's new

Post all (external) monitor issues here

Eric Schurr

I have a Surface Book that is connected via the docking port to a BenQ 27" monitor that has a resolution of 2560 x 1440. When i to to "adjust screen resolution" in Windows settings the max value i can pick is 1920 x 1080. Why can't I drive the monitor to full resolution?

I have a Surface Book that is connected via the docking port to a BenQ 27" monitor that has a resolution of 2560 x 1440. When i to to "adjust screen resolution" in Windows settings the max value i can pick is 1920 x 1080. Why can't I drive the monitor to full resolution?

How are you connecting? DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI or VGA? Because you're on a docking port, if it's a Surface one, I'm assuming miniDP > DP.

Eric Schurr

thanks. I'll bet that's my issue. I'll get a mini DP to DP cable and connect it that way. From what i understand, DP is better than HDMI anyway.

John Giguere

I have a Samsung S34E790C curved widescreen monitor with native resolution of 3440 x 1440 with 60hz using DisplayPort.
I was not able to get the Surface Book to look right so I used it's dual HDMI input with 2-cablematters mini DisplayPort to hdmi adapters to the Samsung using PBP at a resolution of 1720 x 1440 for each screen. It works ok on the video side but I can't get the audio to work through the HDMI correctly, it sounds garbled. I'd also like to know if maybe I'm not using the best connection for the Samsung but I didn't see a resolution in the SB of 3440 x 1440 when I connected using just the DisplayPort.

I have a Samsung S34E790C curved widescreen monitor with native resolution of 3440 x 1440 with 60hz using DisplayPort.
I was not able to get the Surface Book to look right so I used it's dual HDMI input with 2-cablematters mini DisplayPort to hdmi adapters to the Samsung using PBP at a resolution of 1720 x 1440 for each screen. It works ok on the video side but I can't get the audio to work through the HDMI correctly, it sounds garbled. I'd also like to know if maybe I'm not using the best connection for the Samsung but I didn't see a resolution in the SB of 3440 x 1440 when I connected using just the DisplayPort.

Monitor set to run at DisplayPort 1.2?

jag88

I cannot get 4k (3840×2160) output to work at all on my Surface Book, either with or without the Surface Dock. I have a Panasonic TC-55CX420U 4k TV that support HDMI 2.0, all the inputs on the TV have been configured to use an HDMI 2.0 link (vs the default 1.4 link). I am using a Zakix 6 ft certified HDMI 2.0b cable and the official MS Surface mini-dp to HDMI adapter and I am trying to extend the displays not mirror them. Unfortunately the highest mode I can select for the external monitor is 1920x1080@60Hz... I should be able to select 3840×2160@60Hz but no dice. And I have tried this with the mini-dp to HDMI adapter connected both through the official Surface Dock and directly to the keyboard section, no difference in behavior.

I have tried unplugging, replugging, rebooting, and powercycling the components in every permutation possible. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers, I even tried a complete reformat and reinstall of windows 10. And according the windows update my system is completely up to date. But still no 4k option!!

Here is the REAL head scratcher though... previously I COULD output 4k resolution using an after market mini-dp to HDMI adapter but I could not get audio over HDMI to work with it (never showed up under playback devices, impossible to set HDMI as audio output), that is why I ordered the official microsoft surface mini-dp to HDMI adapter. When I plugged in the official adapter, I immediately got audio over HDMI working, but now it wouldn't let me select higher than 1080p! So then I tried swapping back in the old aftermarket adapter, and it now has the exact same problem! No 4k on either adapter now!

At least audio over HDMI works now >_< this surface book has been nothing but a nightmare of problems since I got it.

John Giguere

And you're sure your cables spec'ed at v1.2 as well?

I meant to answer this earlier but I don't have anything to show what cable this is. I don't know and I guess I don't understand why the cable would make a difference. If you think I should buy the correct cable I will, maybe Best Buy or Staples.

Thanks...