What's new

SurfaceBook & Doc with external monitor :(

protip

Same here. Still no joy with two 4K monitors attached to the dock. The Surface Book + Dock will still only power one 4K monitor at a time. At least the frequent firmware updates give me some hope that Microsoft is working to address the rough edges. I still am hopeful they will ultimately deliver on the promised 2x 4K monitor support.

forgetmenaut

Och-- brand spanking new Surface Book i7 with dGPU and new Surface Dock and same issues. :mad:

Only trying to drive one external monitor, and the thing constantly flips off and on. Sometimes the charging light on the connector winks in and out, sometimes it stays solid. Yesterday's big Surface Book update doesn't seem to have corrected this at all. Staying consistent when not using the dock.

This really drives home the frustration about the tightness of the Surface Dock connector and the adjacent mini-Display port. If they incorporated another micron of breathing room, I could plug the external monitor in direct to my SB and avoid this irritation.

Nothing like trying to showcase (justify?) this brand new lightsaber to the purchasers at my work who observe my screens flickering and rotating while my exterior keyboard/mouse combo becomes non-functional. Ouch.

protip

If they incorporated another micron of breathing room, I could plug the external monitor in direct to my SB and avoid this irritation.

I've tested that, by filing down a mini DisplayPort connector, and it did not work for me. I've written about it here:

Microsoft concedes Surface Book incapable of dual 60Hz 4K / Tiamat

I have since reached the conclusion that the Surface Book simply will not drive two 4K monitors at 60 Hz. I now have a new desktop workstation.