What's new

No Audio Output / Input Devices found

Empirical

Hi,

(Surface Pro 3 i7, Windows 10 Pro, 10.0.19042 Build 19042)

In the last 2 days my SP3 has been showing a little red x on top of the speaker icon in the System Tray. When I click on it, it does the whole "detecting Problems, ... Checking audio" routine, which takes ages and seems to to require huge CPU resources , but always returns "Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem".

The Device manager shows all audio input and output devices are working correctly, the drivers are up to date etc. I have uninstalled every single device, multiple times, restarting between each uninstall and there is no change. This affects built-in speakers and microphone, headphones in the headphone jack, headphones in the USB slot, docking station headphone jack - everything.

The Manage Sound Devices window in the settings app shows that there are no output or input devices.

I have uninstalled every possible app that could be active and trying to access these devices - Teams, Skype, WattsApp, YourPhone - you name it. (The only one I can't get rid of is Skype for Business because apparently the only way to do that is get rid of the entirety of Office). And re-started after every one, Nothing has made a jot of difference.
Tried it without the dock, no difference.

Several days ago I "allowed" (ie succumbed to the nagging) the latest updates to install.

I can't attend virtual meetings - basically can't really do my work.

So if anybody knows solutions to this problem, I would very much appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Devices.PNG
sound settings.PNG

sharpuser

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do a “Reset” of Windows 10.

Settings, Update & Recovery
Reset This PC - Keep My Files

Also, if you were to remove Office, all your Office files will remain. You can delete Office and re-install.

I hope this fixes you up.

OP
E

Empirical

Do a “Reset” of Windows 10.

Settings, Update & Recovery
Reset This PC - Keep My Files

Also, if you were to remove Office, all your Office files will remain. You can delete Office and re-install.

I hope this fixes you up.
Ouch. Is that really my only remaining option?
I've a couple of apps that I do use that I don't particularly want to lose access to that might be difficult to replace.

sharpuser

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you've tried everything else, then allowing Windows 10 to make sure all your settings are sorted is the next step.

Members online

No members online now.